BERKELEY REVIEW scores/discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the EK Verbal 101 thread, this is a thread to talk about how you're doing with the TBR passages. I don't know how people are generally going through these, but I'm doing Phase I and II after reading the chapter, and saving Phase III for after I finish all content review.

I'm currently working on Gen Chem.

Chapter 1:
Phase I: 27/41 = 66% = 10
Phase II: 10/20 = 50% = 8 (ouch!)

Chapter 2:
Phase I: 29/37 = 78% = 11
Phase II: 28/33 = 85% = 13

So far I LOVE the book. I hated Gen Chem and I'm enjoying reading this and I really feel like it's helping me grasp the topics. Hopefully future chapters will continue this trend...

Now it's up to you guys! Keep this thread alive!

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who has taken many AAMC FLs, I can attest that the bio is significantly easier and usually does not require the sort of in depth information that TBR passages do. Furthermore, like others have indicated TBR goes way too deep into the subjects presented in the chapters.

That said, they are very much worth reading and practicing with. Why? Because the kind of background it gave me made me extremely confident in that section. I am very thankful to TBR for successfully prepping me for my MCAT, and I look forward to my scores later this month.

Great. Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping that some people who are farther along in the Sn2ed schedule than us will be able to chime in and let us know how the AAMC biology is similar and different to TBR biology passages.

AAMC biology is a lot more straightforward than TBR biology passages. TBR biology passages are way to detailed and contain a lot of extraneous stuff. However, AAMC biology does not prepare you for the real MCAT bio. The real MCAT bio is going to have all AAMC 11 Ebola type passages (probably even more difficult) and if you're lucky, you may get 1-2 regular AAMC bio passage.

Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)

Had a bit of a family emergency, luckily everything's ok but it means I've been out of it for a few days and I'm super far behind now (10 days behind schedule?). I'm likely going to have to postpone my test a couple weeks but I'm going to still aim for my August 16 date because it really would be the best date for me to write. I'll probably cut out the hat trick day and a few break days and maybe do 2 physics chapters at a time since it's my strongest subject.

So much extra stress that I hadn't planned on.

75 days to get through 86 days of schedule is what I'm looking at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sarvish said:
So much extra stress that I hadn't planned on.

75 days to get through 86 days of schedule is what I'm looking at.

Relax. Seriously.

Look, the SND plan is a good one, but I think it's very unwise to freak out over missing a few days of it to the point where you'd actually consider dropping a bunch of money to move the test. It's just a suggested schedule for studying, and if you try to adhere to it too rigidly and spaz out every time you are off a day you are in for a lot of anxiety. Just imagine the amount of stress you'll have when it comes to the real MCAT, which will really impact your performance.

The MCAT is just a test.

Keep chugging, don't obsess over this or that percentage of right/wrong or this or that ''missed day", and just get through the material. As someone who's actually taken the MCAT for real, I can absolutely assure you that as long as you study TBR diligently AND take at least four AAMC FL (these are honestly the most important part of prepping), you will be more than ready.

Relax. Seriously.

Look, the SND plan is a good one, but I think it's very unwise to freak out over missing a few days of it to the point where you'd actually consider dropping a bunch of money to move the test. It's just a suggested schedule for studying, and if you try to adhere to it too rigidly and spaz out every time you are off a day you are in for a lot of anxiety. Just imagine the amount of stress you'll have when it comes to the real MCAT, which will really impact your performance.

The MCAT is just a test.

Keep chugging, don't obsess over this or that percentage of right/wrong or this or that ''missed day", and just get through the material. As someone who's actually taken the MCAT for real, I can absolutely assure you that as long as you study TBR diligently AND take at least four AAMC FL (these are honestly the most important part of prepping), you will be more than ready.

Thanks bud, I've just been kind of out of it all day and it's had quite the toll on me. The only reason I worry about being behind is that I could've chosen the very last test date without causing any other problems and I chose this one because I was stubborn that I could finish studying in time and enjoy 3 weeks of summer vacation.

Won't make the decision to postpone until much closer to the date and it would be nice to catch up and not have to postpone. Wouldn't have really worried being 4-5 days behind but 10 is quite a bit.

Relax. Seriously.

The MCAT is just a test.

Very true. Well said.

AAMC biology is a lot more straightforward than TBR biology passages. TBR biology passages are way to detailed and contain a lot of extraneous stuff. However, AAMC biology does not prepare you for the real MCAT bio. The real MCAT bio is going to have all AAMC 11 Ebola type passages (probably even more difficult) and if you're lucky, you may get 1-2 regular AAMC bio passage.

What about the TPRH Science Workbook bio passages?

What about the TPRH Science Workbook bio passages?

The advanced ones are pretty good, especially the ones that have graphs and charts in them. But I think Kaplan's BS Section and FL BS sections are the best practice, although I would assume the TPR course would have similar online practice materials but I never took TPR's course.

The advanced ones are pretty good, especially the ones that have graphs and charts in them. But I think Kaplan's BS Section and FL BS sections are the best practice, although I would assume the TPR course would have similar online practice materials but I never took TPR's course.

Alright cool, thanks. I have no idea about TPR's course either, I'm not in it lol. What do you mean by Kaplan's BS section? Obviously the FL BS refers to the Kaplan FL's...

Alright cool, thanks. I have no idea about TPR's course either, I'm not in it lol. What do you mean by Kaplan's BS section? Obviously the FL BS refers to the Kaplan FL's...

Sorry I meant the Kaplan BS Section tests & the BS sections in the Kaplan FLs. Kaplan's course offers online individual BS section tests in additional to their FLs. They have this for PS and V as well.

Give it up man.. we all know you are Kaplan et al.. Stop pretending you're really taking the MCAT! Clearly just subliminally advertising for TPR here..

:naughty:

Anyways, TPRH SW is pretty good. I disagree that AAMC Bio is not representative of MCAT Bio.. AAMC 10/11 are pretty spot-on. TBR has some great ones as well.

The Ebola passage was difficult to understand thoroughly.. but the questions themselves weren't that difficult. Expect the same if you get a tough passage on the real thing. Much more experimentation based but you're not being asked to critique a Science paper..

Sorry I meant the Kaplan BS Section tests & the BS sections in the Kaplan FLs. Kaplan's course offers online individual BS section tests in additional to their FLs. They have this for PS and V as well.
Ah okay cool. Thanks again.
Give it up man.. we all know you are Kaplan et al.. Stop pretending you're really taking the MCAT! Clearly just subliminally advertising for TPR here..

:naughty:

Anyways, TPRH SW is pretty good. I disagree that AAMC Bio is not representative of MCAT Bio.. AAMC 10/11 are pretty spot-on. TBR has some great ones as well.

The Ebola passage was difficult to understand thoroughly.. but the questions themselves weren't that difficult. Expect the same if you get a tough passage on the real thing. Much more experimentation based but you're not being asked to critique a Science paper..
You caught me! :eek:

That's all good to hear. It's understandable that there's variability between test forms and some people might get experiment-heavy BS sections while others don't. It averages to a mix I assume.

Ah okay cool. Thanks again.

You caught me! :eek:

That's all good to hear. It's understandable that there's variability between test forms and some people might get experiment-heavy BS sections while others don't. It averages to a mix I assume.

Also have to consider that people tend to walk out of the test with different interpretations of the same passages depending on how they think they did (or how they found out they did).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive come across a few mistakes in the answers to their passages and was wondering if there is an errata list somewhere for TBR. I was confused when Ochem chapter 6, Review passage 1 had question 7,8, and 9 with identical answers and explanations :sleep:

Berkeley bio can be frustrating. Ask this lecture wasted on how fish breathe and then how frogs develop. It's like they purposely want to put more than needed.

How have people's scores on bio translated to the real thing? I get basically a 7 in each section and am getting worried.

Berkeley bio can be frustrating. Ask this lecture wasted on how fish breathe and then how frogs develop. It's like they purposely want to put more than needed.

How have people's scores on bio translated to the real thing? I get basically a 7 in each section and am getting worried.

A friend of mine used TBR and got a 15 on BS. He said TBR crushed him and was more difficult than the MCAT. I can see that. A lot of TBR questions can focus on extraneous stuff.

It's a double-edged sword in my opinion. It's good to practice something harder, but in some cases, the TBR passages may not feel like they give you a chance to show what you learned in the corresponding EK chapter (if you're doing Sn2ed).

But even then, I'm starting to recognize them as doable. I think it's also a practice thing (obviously).

Last edited:
A friend of mine use TBR and got a 15 on BS. He said TBR crushed him and was more difficult than the MCAT. I can see that. A lot of TBR questions can focus on extraneous stuff.

It's a double-edged sword in my opinion. It's good to practice something harder, but in some cases, the TBR passages may not feel like they give you a chance to show what you learned in the corresponding EK chapter (if you're doing Sn2ed).

But even then, I'm starting to recognize them as doable. I think it's also a practice thing (obviously).

For me, I will get crushed by the TBR biology passage and then when I review the answers the next day I completely understand why I missed them so I guess that helps a bit

OChem 1: 9
OChem 2: 9
Ochem 3: 11
Ochem 4: 8 or 9

Physics 1: 13
Physics 2: 10
Physics 3: 12
Physics 4: 10

GenChem 1: 10
GenChem 2: 12
GenChem 3: 11
GenChem 4: 10

EK Bio
1: 9
2: 8
3: 9
4: 10
5: 7
6: 10
7: 9
8: 12
9: 10

Kaplan Diagnostic Test #1: 25 (PS-7/ V-9/ BS-9)...just started studying PS before this and I feel that the bio section was way too difficult

Last edited:
A friend of mine use TBR and got a 15 on BS. He said TBR crushed him and was more difficult than the MCAT. I can see that. A lot of TBR questions can focus on extraneous stuff.

Yeah, I discovered quickly that if you're really going to do TBR bio passages, you have to read a lot of the chapter. EK almost never cuts it for sufficient background to answer a lot of those questions.

Ive come across a few mistakes in the answers to their passages and was wondering if there is an errata list somewhere for TBR. I was confused when Ochem chapter 6, Review passage 1 had question 7,8, and 9 with identical answers and explanations :sleep:

For what it's worth, as someone who's done (almost) every single question in all of those books, that was the only serious error I found. The rest are usually just spelling mistakes. I don't know if there's an errata floating around - you could email the people who make it and ask.

I'm getting unbelievably frustrated with BR passages. I'm finding them very difficult despite knowing my content. :(

I'm getting unbelievably frustrated with BR passages. I'm finding them very difficult despite knowing my content. :(

That's definitely understandable. Maybe use them as a learning experience. Say you get 3/7 in a passage. Go over the answers so well that you never get a similar question wrong again. That's what I'm trying. It makes me a little more optimistic.

Besides, these passages are just practice for what you just read in the chapter. They don't tell you how you're going to do on the test (or even a FL).

ive been having this problem too of scoring like 60% on the passages

but mario is right

u know the content well after the chapter but attacking the passages u may not be a 100% on exactly how to come to an answer. you know all the pieces but u have to put it together.

usually the second i glance at a solution i immediately know how to do the problem. so just learn it and do not make that mistake again.

this is why they are practice passages, so you can learn content, put it all together on the passages with trial and error, and then be very comfortable in content and in your ability to put it all together on the test.

So I'm about to start studying and I've been told that Kaplan books (which I have) are not good to study from. If I order the TBR books, how long would it take to get them from the date that I mailed the order form?

Thanks

Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)
2 - 79% (12)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)

Getting behind in actually marking the passages but catching up with content review. Glad to see orgo continue to go up though :D

Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)
2 - 79% (12)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)

Getting behind in actually marking the passages but catching up with content review. Glad to see orgo continue to go up though :D

Hey Sarvish, I am also behind like 4-5 days as of now and I am writing Aug 22nd. What do you/ others think is the best way to catch up? Obviously I do not want to postpone but at the same time I want to have covered all my bases before writing. I can't cut break days because I have to volunteer on those days from 9-6 pm. I was thinking maybe I would try to double up chapters but I am EXTREMELY slow because I haven't taken most of my pre reqs in over 4 years so it is like relearning it basically. So doubling up probably wont happen either. Ideas?

Hey Sarvish, I am also behind like 4-5 days as of now and I am writing Aug 22nd. What do you/ others think is the best way to catch up? Obviously I do not want to postpone but at the same time I want to have covered all my bases before writing. I can't cut break days because I have to volunteer on those days from 9-6 pm. I was thinking maybe I would try to double up chapters but I am EXTREMELY slow because I haven't taken most of my pre reqs in over 4 years so it is like relearning it basically. So doubling up probably wont happen either. Ideas?

I have the same thing, my break days get used for volunteering from 8-7. The only thing I'm doing to catch up is doubling up on chapters since I'm quite strong in physics. The chapters also seem to be getting easier since the first ones are trying to get you up to speed with the foundations and then the later ones only focus on getting into the details of some concepts.

The other thing I've been doing is sometimes splitting a chapter up over a couple days. I can write notes on a few chapters in a day and then actually memorize everything and do the questions on another day. The couple days that I did this, I did 3 chapters in 2 days.

Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)
2 - 79% (12)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)

I thought 60% in bio was a 7?

I've got the 2013 TBR books and the scale seems to generally be
>=13 80-100
11-12 70-79
9-10 60-69
7-8 50-59
5-6 40-49
<=4 0-39

I haven't checked if it's the same for all chapters, but it looks like it is.
I wish I had this scale. Mine is:

12+ 86-100
10 to 11 79-85
8 to 9 65-78
7 59-64
6 54-58
5 48-53

I've been taking # correct dividing by total # probs attempted and multiply that number by 15 to get scaled score (basically raw % multiply by 15) and I've done this on all sections and it is VERY consistent with my AAMC scores literally same exact numbers every time.

I've been taking # correct dividing by total # probs attempted and multiply that number by 15 to get scaled score (basically raw % multiply by 15) and I've done this on all sections and it is VERY consistent with my AAMC scores literally same exact numbers every time.

I'd be ecstatic if those matched up, other than bio. I was really hoping to hit a 12 or 13 in BS. I'm behind on actually marking the passages and reviewing but I felt like the later passages were definitely going better.

Physics
1 - 91% (14) - 92% (14)
2 - 88% (14) - 86% (13)

General Chem
1 - 88% (13) - 91% (14)
2 - 84% (13)
3 - 84% (12)

Orgo Chem
1 - 54% (8) - 74% (11)
2 - 79% (12)

Biology
1 - 60% (9) - 60% (9)

I got hit hard by one passage, 4/7 on passage 7 about K vs molar solubility. When I went through, I realized that I had gone and overcomplicated everything. Heck, the one about the smallest percent error was so obvious, I thought of doing it the right way and then took the long way around and wasted 2 minutes and got the question wrong.

TBR seems to have thought this section was easier than chapter 2 since the marking scale was slightly harsher, I personally found this section a lot trickier and I was definitely running out of time with some of the passages.

I feel bad being the only one posting in here, someone come join me. :D

OChem 1: 9
OChem 2: 9
Ochem 3: 11
Ochem 4: 8 or 9

Physics 1: 13
Physics 2: 10
Physics 3: 12
Physics 4: 10

GenChem 1: 10
GenChem 2: 12
GenChem 3: 11
GenChem 4: 10

EK Bio
1: 9
2: 8
3: 9
4: 10
5: 7
6: 10
7: 9
8: 12
9: 10

Kaplan Diagnostic Test #1: 25 (PS-7/ V-9/ BS-9)...just started studying PS before this and I feel that the bio section was way too difficult

I've been updating my scores, but I don't think they show at the bottom of the feed when I update them. I'm taking my first AAMC practice exam tomorrow so I'll see how these scores match up...I'm taking the real thing July 13 so I'm hoping to finish the BR in the next week and a half or so. I'm going to have to go more than one passage a day, which I think is ok with physics since they're shorter and I just took the classes.

Are any of you guys finding BR Bio useful or just way too detailed? I have already gone through EK Bio and am contemplating going through it again, or going through the massive BR Bio

I've been updating my scores, but I don't think they show at the bottom of the feed when I update them. I'm taking my first AAMC practice exam tomorrow so I'll see how these scores match up...I'm taking the real thing July 13 so I'm hoping to finish the BR in the next week and a half or so. I'm going to have to go more than one passage a day, which I think is ok with physics since they're shorter and I just took the classes.

Are any of you guys finding BR Bio useful or just way too detailed? I have already gone through EK Bio and am contemplating going through it again, or going through the massive BR Bio
Wait. How are you studying 1 passage a day? You should be doing a minimum of 4 a day per section in content review and probably 10+ after content review.

It should take no more than ten minutes to actually do a BR passage (and preferably less time then that), and no more than twenty minutes to review it (and that's like an incredibly thorough review, you really should be able to do it in five or ten minutes).

Wait. How are you studying 1 passage a day? You should be doing a minimum of 4 a day per section in content review and probably 10+ after content review.

My fault guys. What I meant to say was that I am doing one "section" a day (i.e. yesterday I finished section 4 (acid/base) in chemistry). I complete all the passages after I complete the section and review my answers the same day or sometimes the if the reading takes me longer than I anticipate, I do the questions (passages) the day after and then review my mistakes (and the ones I got right).

I am now saying that I will probably have to go for more than one "section" per day as I am testing July 13 and need at least 2-3 weeks for practice tests. Although I am using all of SN2d's suggested books, I cannot follow his schedule due to time constrains (aka I need to get my application in asap so I am not at a disadvantage).

Section #3 of Organic Chemistry (Stereochemistry) tore me up. I tried something a little bit different this time: I did TBR Phase I as my first SN2ed Third. The second and final SN2ed thirds are/will be a mixture of TBR Phase I and Phase II. My score actually decreased for the Second Third. I haven't reviewed it yet but it looks like I genuinely missed a lot of nucleophilic substitution questions, made a few thoughtless errors on stereochemistry, and otherwise misinterpreted some questions/answers.

That's a reasonable assessment since I didn't spend as much time reviewing nucleophilic substitution but I thought it was pretty straightforward. Protic solvent, primary carbon, strong nucleophile = SN2: bimolecular, five-member transition state, stereochemical inversion. Aprotic solvent, tertiary carbon, weak nucleophile = SN1: unimolecular, carbocation intermediate, enantiomeric mixture of products. Is there something that I'm missing?

Code:
	A	B
O1	71.9%	75.9%
O2	72.7%	79.3%
O3	66.7%	65.8%

Section #3 of Organic Chemistry (Stereochemistry) tore me up. I tried something a little bit different this time: I did TBR Phase I as my first SN2ed Third. The second and final SN2ed thirds are/will be a mixture of TBR Phase I and Phase II. My score actually decreased for the Second Third. I haven't reviewed it yet but it looks like I genuinely missed a lot of nucleophilic substitution questions, made a few thoughtless errors on stereochemistry, and otherwise misinterpreted some questions/answers.

That's a reasonable assessment since I didn't spend as much time reviewing nucleophilic substitution but I thought it was pretty straightforward. Protic solvent, primary carbon, strong nucleophile = SN2: bimolecular, five-member transition state, stereochemical inversion. Aprotic solvent, tertiary carbon, weak nucleophile = SN1: unimolecular, carbocation intermediate, enantiomeric mixture of products. Is there something that I'm missing?

Code:
	A	B
O1	71.9%	75.9%
O2	72.7%	79.3%
O3	66.7%	65.8%

This is a little picky, but you don't have to have a primary carbon to get SN2. It can happen with secondary carbons too (there was a TBR question on it as well iirc), it's just a little more slowly because of the increased sterics. And then I just wouldn't forget that you can get rearrangements for SN1, which will probably just be alkyl or hydride shifts, or ring expansions. And you can also get rearrangements for E1, and almost anything that goes through a carbocation intermediate.

Guess I'll use this chance to ask this question. I posted it in Q&A but only got one answer, which I still really didn't accept. Any thoughts?

There's this reaction:

5d6xx0.png

TBR says that this elimination reaction has a competing Sn2 Reaction. I thought that we learned that you can essentially eliminate the competing Sn2 reaction with a bulky base, like t-ButOK. Even in the chapter, TBR says a bulky base is used to avoid the substitution product. How can this have a competing Sn2 reaction? I mean, I can imagine getting and extremely small yield of side product but it should be negligible right?

I would agree that the yield would probably be very low <1%.

This is a little picky, but you don't have to have a primary carbon to get SN2. It can happen with secondary carbons too (there was a TBR question on it as well iirc), it's just a little more slowly because of the increased sterics. And then I just wouldn't forget that you can get rearrangements for SN1, which will probably just be alkyl or hydride shifts, or ring expansions. And you can also get rearrangements for E1, and almost anything that goes through a carbocation intermediate.

Guess I'll use this chance to ask this question. I posted it in Q&A but only got one answer, which I still really didn't accept. Any thoughts?

There's this reaction:

5d6xx0.png

TBR says that this elimination reaction has a competing Sn2 Reaction. I thought that we learned that you can essentially eliminate the competing Sn2 reaction with a bulky base, like t-ButOK. Even in the chapter, TBR says a bulky base is used to avoid the substitution product. How can this have a competing Sn2 reaction? I mean, I can imagine getting and extremely small yield of side product but it should be negligible right?

Thanks for your insight, Synapsis. After doing a few physics problems, I decided to call it a day. My mind is elsewhere. I was spending much less time on passages than I normally do. That means I wasn't completely thinking the problems through. During some passages, all I could think about was, "how is this relevant to medicine?" Others I couldn't even begin to model. Let's hope that doesn't happen on the real thing!

:laugh:

There's this reaction:

5d6xx0.png

Excuse my ignorance, but why is the less substituted alkene formed in this reaction? Is there too much steric hindrance for the tert butoxide to pull off the H from the tertiary carbon and form a more stable alkene?

Excuse my ignorance, but why is the less substituted alkene formed in this reaction? Is there too much steric hindrance for the tert butoxide to pull off the H from the tertiary carbon and form a more stable alkene?

That alkene is formed because the reaction goes by an E2 mechanism. For E2, you need an anticoplanar relationship between the leaving group and the hydrogen you're pulling. That hydrogen is on the same face as the leaving group, so you can't do an elimination with it.

enervate said:
Thanks for your insight, Synapsis. After doing a few physics problems, I decided to call it a day. My mind is elsewhere. I was spending much less time on passages than I normally do. That means I wasn't completely thinking the problems through. During some passages, all I could think about was, "how is this relevant to medicine?" Others I couldn't even begin to model. Let's hope that doesn't happen on the real thing!

Yea tell me about it. I know a decent amount of physics actually is relevant but seriously sometimes they get carried away.

That alkene is formed because the reaction goes by an E2 mechanism. For E2, you need an anticoplanar relationship between the leaving group and the hydrogen you're pulling. That hydrogen is on the same face as the leaving group, so you can't do an elimination with it.

Yea tell me about it. I know a decent amount of physics actually is relevant but seriously sometimes they get carried away.

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification!

Hey guys, thought I'd join in here since the "SN2ed 2013 summer folks, post here!" thread doesn't seem to be sharing any scores. My test date is late August, and I'm on about day 20 here (little bit behind).

I'm using the SN2ed 3 month schedule, and following his method of doing the passages (1st 1/3, 2nd 1/3, etc.)

Physics:
S1: 71%, 62%
S2: 56%, 59%
S3: 69%, 64%
S4: 84%

G. Chem:
S1: 59%, 71%
S2: 70%, 69%
S3: 78%, 67%

O. Chem:
S1: 87%, 83%
S2: 74%, 83%
S3: 84%

Bio:
S1: 48%, 48%
S2: 67%, 68%
S3: 25% (only 2 passages here and bombed the crap out of one of them, clearly)

I haven't updated my spreadsheet with EK 101/TPRH Verbal scores or EK Bio In-Class Exam scores but once I do I will post those as well. As another note, instead of using the EK 1001 books, I am doing the corresponding sections in the TPRH Science Workbook instead. I really don't think the EK 1001 books are worth the time, and the TPRH Science Workbook is, in my opinion, a much better substitute. I do plan, however, to use the EK 1001 books later after I've evaluated which sections/topics I really need more work on.

Furthermore, on re-read days, I find that re-reading all of those chapters is quite time consuming, and on most days it is just too much to handle for me. So instead what I do is while I'm reading the chapter for the first time, I use the flashcard program Anki to write down all the main concepts/ideas/what I think is important from the chapter. Also, when I'm reviewing passages from that chapter, any question I got wrong that was a genuine mistake and not a dumb error I input into the Anki program as well. For example, if I get a question wrong, I take the concept that question is referring to and create a question in the Anki program. Even if it is a mathematical question, there are usually concepts underlying those questions that I've misunderstood, etc. Then, after I've done all of the above, on re-read days I open up the Anki program and try to answer all the flashcard questions I've created for that chapter. I find this to be more effective than re-reading the entire chapter because it really focuses on the main ideas of the chapter, and most importantly it focuses on the ideas I didn't understand fully or at all. This way I'm (hopefully) sure to learn from my mistakes and (hopefully) not make them again.

Anyways, sorry for the long post guys, just wanted to share my methodology and see if you guys have any thoughts/comments. I look forward to a summer of studying with all of you!

Is physics in Berkeley review hard for anyone else? It's pretty difficult for me. I thought Chem was fine. Was scoring in the 80s for each section. Physics has been tough though.

Is physics in Berkeley review hard for anyone else? It's pretty difficult for me. I thought Chem was fine. Was scoring in the 80s for each section. Physics has been tough though.

I had a really tough time starting out but I've gotten much better. I can see what people mean when they say this section is typically the "easiest" to improve. Physics was always my weakest, so it certainly isn't easiest for me.

Nice organic scores, cbfc. As you can see from my earlier post, I'm a bit jealous. ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with you about reviewing the chapters. I'm doing the same exact thing as you: making Anki flashcards as I go along. I feel like that has significantly improved my understanding and retention of the topics. Although it takes me a bit longer to go through the chapters themselves, it eliminates the need to re-read the chapters.

How do you feel about your biology scores?

Thanks for the compliment enervate, orgo is my favorite subject at university so far and I really spent the time learning it inside and out. That really pays off when studying for the MCAT...wish I had done the same for the other subjects as well instead of just aiming for an A.

I agree; flashcards are the way to go, and Anki is a quick way to get them done.

I'm not sure how I feel about the biology scores...generally I'm not too concerned as the consensus seems to be that the BR Bio passages are quite a bit more difficult than needed. I do, however, hope to see an improvement in those scores. The dramatic improvement from my S1 to S2 scores comes from the realization that quite a few of the answers can be found in the passage itself. It's only those obscure, and in my opinion unnecessary, discretes that really lower your score. I'm also supplementing with TPRH Bio and EK Bio In-Class exams so I hope that will be enough to do well in the Bio section of the MCAT.

Maybe you can answer my question: does the term diastereomer apply to geometric isomers as well? If it does, can a pair of geometric isomers be enantiomers?

It's good that you're supplementing TBR Biology with other resources. As summarized by gettheleadout below, some have written that TBR Biology less effectively prepared them than Kaplan and TPRH Biology.
FWIW, Narmerguy (43) and OCD (39) have both emphasized that they feel TBR Bio is totally unrepresentative in terms of asking for specific passage details and emphasizing unnecessary knowledge of biochem content.