Besides the med school trail...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knpnfa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of you all into? It would be awesome to get back into pursuing my skydiving license with someone that also has the med school dream. Heck, even be part of an online cooking/workout group. So what is it that you do to rid yourself of the mundane and enjoy life?

If this isn't the right forum, I apologize.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no joy; only dragons to be slain :D Honestly, my favorite way to decompress atm is watching Ash vs the Evil Dead. If that show doesn't make you laugh at least a little then there is no real hope for you outside of deep brain stimulation :pompous:

Reactions: 1 user
I've been gardening for about the past year and I'm obsessed with it. It's fascinating. I can't garden at my apartment so I've joined my city's community garden and work on a 4x12 plot over there. Right now I've got two eggplant plants that are producing the most beautiful eggplants I've ever seen. I have my second batch of compost going, and I just started as a volunteer manager at a small butterfly garden.

I had wanted to start growing vegetables for a long time and I really lucked out finding this community garden. There's new stuff to learn everyday, whether it's repairing soaker hose lines, promoting the growth of beneficial microbes in the soil, or spraying with organic pesticides (it's an organic garden). It's so relaxing to go over there on a Saturday and get work done in the sun. I should add that I'm in Florida so I can grow year-round (although winter growing is much easier than in the summer). It also helps me develop more patience, as it's obviously super delayed-gratification (I'm an impulsive person and it's good for me to have to wait 3 months to see the benefits of the things I do now).

I regret that I can't really travel anymore. That used to be a passion of mine. Now it's just too expensive. I also regret that I've been too lazy to work out the last few months. That'll be a New Year's resolution.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I need to get back into shape. I'll probably pick up tennis again. I'm trying hard to not pick up a ps4 right now : (.

Hey there fellow applicant. I'm into skydiving as well. Just thought I'd throw this comment in because its nice to see another skydiver/med school dreamer. Blue skies, my friend.

I love baking/cooking. My main hobby is board wargaming. Give me a US armored division in the Ardennes, or a Guard Tank Army on the steppes of Russia, and I am a holy terror.

What are some of you all into? It would be awesome to get back into pursuing my skydiving license with someone that also has the med school dream. Heck, even be part of an online cooking/workout group. So what is it that you do to rid yourself of the mundane and enjoy life?

If this isn't the right forum, I apologize.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been gardening for about the past year and I'm obsessed with it. It's fascinating. I can't garden at my apartment so I've joined my city's community garden and work on a 4x12 plot over there. Right now I've got two eggplant plants that are producing the most beautiful eggplants I've ever seen. I have my second batch of compost going, and I just started as a volunteer manager at a small butterfly garden.

I had wanted to start growing vegetables for a long time and I really lucked out finding this community garden. There's new stuff to learn everyday, whether it's repairing soaker hose lines, promoting the growth of beneficial microbes in the soil, or spraying with organic pesticides (it's an organic garden). It's so relaxing to go over there on a Saturday and get work done in the sun. I should add that I'm in Florida so I can grow year-round (although winter growing is much easier than in the summer). It also helps me develop more patience, as it's obviously super delayed-gratification (I'm an impulsive person and it's good for me to have to wait 3 months to see the benefits of the things I do now).

I regret that I can't really travel anymore. That used to be a passion of mine. Now it's just too expensive. I also regret that I've been too lazy to work out the last few months. That'll be a New Year's resolution.
I don't know what it is...but every plant I look at dies. I was really wanting to grow basil, rosemary, and a few other herbs to get my cooking game on point. But I have the opposite of a green thumb.

I need to get back into shape. I'll probably pick up tennis again. I'm trying hard to not pick up a ps4 right now : (.
Yeah this is a top priority for me. A knee injury has been my excuse not to work out and it shows I have not been.

Hey there fellow applicant. I'm into skydiving as well. Just thought I'd throw this comment in because its nice to see another skydiver/med school dreamer. Blue skies, my friend.
How many jumps under your belt? I only got 5 in before my knee injury (unrelated) that put jumping on hold. I look forward to spring to get classes and jumps going again. Blue skies!
I love baking/cooking. My main hobby is board wargaming. Give me a US armored division in the Ardennes, or a Guard Tank Army on the steppes of Russia, and I am a holy terror.
While I'm not into it, I can see how the game is attractive. But I barely have the patience for monopoly, let alone a game that can take days to finish.

Oh no! Sorry about your knee. About 2k here. I hope you get back in the sky this spring!

Oh no! Sorry about your knee. About 2k here. I hope you get back in the sky this spring!
Dang, how many years did it take for you to accumulate that many jumps? I haven't jumped since 2013. Got to lose a few pounds over the winter as I'd have to use a tandem rig at this weight...lol

I'm an instructor, what state are you in?
I'm in Texas. Did my first jump (tandem) in Eloy and started my AFF at San Marcos got to lvl3 and re-did lvl3 due to non-currency before my knee injury.

Dang, how many years did it take for you to accumulate that many jumps? I haven't jumped since 2013. Got to lose a few pounds over the winter as I'd have to use a tandem rig at this weight...lol

I'm in Texas. Did my first jump (tandem) in Eloy and started my AFF at San Marcos got to lvl3 and re-did lvl3 due to non-currency before my knee injury.
Haha well a tandem rig ought to do the trick. I've been jumping for about 7 years. Tandem instructor for the past 2. How'd you hurt your knee?

Haha well a tandem rig ought to do the trick. I've been jumping for about 7 years. Tandem instructor for the past 2. How'd you hurt your knee?
I can't spot a specific instance. Just one day I squatted down at the grocery store and it took my wife to stand me up. Had X-rays and an MRI done and was told it was a low grade tear in my patellar tendon that caused it. Have since been told it is arthritis in my knee. But I didn't have these problems until a few times of landing my leg hyperextended in pot holes while doing PT. The military doesn't want to address that fact though.

I can't spot a specific instance. Just one day I squatted down at the grocery store and it took my wife to stand me up. Had X-rays and an MRI done and was told it was a low grade tear in my patellar tendon that caused it. Have since been told it is arthritis in my knee. But I didn't have these problems until a few times of landing my leg hyperextended in pot holes while doing PT. The military doesn't want to address that fact though.
Dang, that's a bummer. I swear, knee and back injuries are the worst; seems to affect everything you do. I hope you're making some progress, man.

Baking and cooking. If you're a science-minded person, it's really fun to actually learn the science behind baking. I've even done free open online courses to learn more and picked up some baking textbooks. It's becoming quite an obsession!

Dang, that's a bummer. I swear, knee and back injuries are the worst; seems to affect everything you do. I hope you're making some progress, man.
Got a new Physical Therapist. He is in his internship and seems to really want to help/figure out my issue. So I'm hopeful.

Baking and cooking. If you're a science-minded person, it's really fun to actually learn the science behind baking. I've even done free open online courses to learn more and picked up some baking textbooks. It's becoming quite an obsession!
My BIL has his PhD in some bio-molecular field, but he plays fast and loose with recipes. One of the best cooks I know. My sister on the other hand is a great baker and follows her recipes to the T (dentist type). I feel as though cooking you can play around a little, but if you get squirrelly baking...get ready for a disaster.

And here I thought I was special. I'm a TI/AFFi as well, did you talk about any of that on your app? if so, how was it received?
I was surprised to see another instructor here, too! I incorporated this into my app and I think it really helped. It has come up a lot during interviews. It's a great leadership role and there are a lot of personal traits and experiences you can pull from it. If nothing else, it's something unique that helps you stand out as an applicant. It's something I'm passionate about and I think ADCOMs like to see that.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an instructor, too!

.....for the MCAT...

But damn, though. There are all these skydiving instructors on here. Know of any good skydiving places in the midwest? Skydiving is definitely on my "things to do before med school" list.

As for more mundane things to do, find something interesting to learn about. I've just discovered I rather enjoy unconventional economics. Oh, and comedy shows if those are near you. John Mulaney is da bomb. Or cooking. I actually enjoy cooking and listening to podcasts like Radiolab and Freakanomics.

"Start skydiving" is a great operation.
Or if you wanna travel, you could help me not die on the mcat, and i could help you not die falling toward the planet.
Well, I've been in Texas, Ohio, and my home state for interviews, yet unfortunately I didn't have any time to squeeze in any skydiving. But if you have any questions about studying for the MCAT or prepping for admissions in general (I'm in the middle of the application cycle right now), feel free to PM me. Just keep swimming, dude. You got this.