Best advice for finding a research mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorstrangerthingz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of finding a research mentor and I'd appreciate some wisdom from those who went through the process. What's the best advice you can give?
Also, I am currently interested in a field, but if I don't find a suitable mentor from that field, how would joining research in another field affect me?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you at an MD school with an academic hospital?
Just email a prof whose area you want to work in, explaining your interest.
Wait a week, if you don't hear back, email prof #2 on your list.
If you're already in contact with several potential supervisors, go with the one who replies to your emails in a timely fashion and seems to have reasonable expectations of you.:)

Research skills are transferable between disciplines, so joining another research field would certainly be much better than nothing. The exception is if you're intending to use the research experience to get into a very competitive medical specialty, in which case, do whatever you can to get involved in research in that specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea cold emails work supervising you well. I usually ask to meet to discuss the field, or just ask to observe in clinic.

It’s helpful to have some vague idea of what you’d be interested in within the field too. When I started med school I thought ortho would be cool. So I shadowed a doc in clinic and asked if he or his colleagues were doing any work in cadaver bone transplantation. They didn’t have any work in that field but got me plugged in with someone doing something vaguely similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start from the basics:
Do you want research because you like it or because you want to improve your app?
Do you want basic science research or clinical?
What fields do you want to go into?

After you can answer those questions you can start emailing faculty.

There are some decent articles on the SDN main page that have hit on this recently. Check them out or if you’re lazy I can try to dig them up and link you fam

Yes I'm at an MD school with an academic hospital.
So far I'm interested in internal medicine, heme/onc and cardiology to be more specific. I actually am interested in research but I also would like to do it to be a competitive applicant.
I would prefer basic science research but I'm not sure how practical it is to do that as opposed to clinical.
To be honest, I went through a list of research labs and nothing in particular stood out to me, that's why I'm not sure how to proceed forward.

There are some decent articles on the SDN main page that have hit on this recently. Check them out or if you’re lazy I can try to dig them up and link you fam

Thank you! Would you please direct me to them?

Yes I'm at an MD school with an academic hospital.
So far I'm interested in internal medicine, heme/onc and cardiology to be more specific. I actually am interested in research but I also would like to do it to be a competitive applicant.
I would prefer basic science research but I'm not sure how practical it is to do that as opposed to clinical.
To be honest, I went through a list of research labs and nothing in particular stood out to me, that's why I'm not sure how to proceed forward.
Basic science probably is not practical on a med student schedule, unless you want to take a whole year off to do research (some schools have a "research track" where you can do this without doing a full PhD). But every department has some chart review that they've been kind of kicking around that they need some motivated med student to help out get started, and you can usually make substantial progress on this during a one month research elective. If you want to have a shot at something publishable at the end of med school, this is likely the way to go.

Agree with others that cold emails to people that you've worked with is a good way to go. This kind of clinical research probably isn't going to be advertised on a website, as they're fairly small projects.

Finally, this is true generally and something to keep in mind--unless you really have a burning passion about a specific question, the mentor you pick is probably more important than the project they offer. So if there's an attending that you've worked with and you get along well with them, I'd suggest trying any semi-reasonable project with them over something with a mentor you don't get along well with.

Reactions: 1 users
Basic science probably is not practical on a med student schedule, unless you want to take a whole year off to do research (some schools have a "research track" where you can do this without doing a full PhD). But every department has some chart review that they've been kind of kicking around that they need some motivated med student to help out get started, and you can usually make substantial progress on this during a one month research elective. If you want to have a shot at something publishable at the end of med school, this is likely the way to go.

Agree with others that cold emails to people that you've worked with is a good way to go. This kind of clinical research probably isn't going to be advertised on a website, as they're fairly small projects.

Finally, this is true generally and something to keep in mind--unless you really have a burning passion about a specific question, the mentor you pick is probably more important than the project they offer. So if there's an attending that you've worked with and you get along well with them, I'd suggest trying any semi-reasonable project with them over something with a mentor you don't get along well with.

Thank you! This answered a lot of my questions

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile