Best Anesthesia pre-interview dinner!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stellar Clouds

Lightly Seasoned Meat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The discussion in the 2013 Match Rank List Help Thread put this idea in my head. What was the absolute best pre-interview dinner that you went on?

Members don't see this ad.

As the poster who served as the inspiration for the aforementioned idea - Columbia. Good food, endless sangria, then tequila shots. Legend has it that not too long ago one of the applicants got so drunk that he failed to show up for the interview next morning. Upon hearing this, the PD reprimanded the residents who subsequently continued to order endless sangria and tequila shots on following preinterview dinners.

As the poster who served as the inspiration for the aforementioned idea - Columbia. Good food, endless sangria, then tequila shots. Legend has it that not too long ago one of the applicants got so drunk that he failed to show up for the interview next morning. Upon hearing this, the PD reprimanded the residents who subsequently continued to order endless sangria and tequila shots on following preinterview dinners.

That is so awesome I can only hope it is true,

Members don't see this ad :)
Quality of restaurant obviously matters, but the key was being able to order any food or drink off the menu as opposed to limited selection. Very few places offered this

Best dinner I had was at BI...we went to a Japanese restaurant. 4 courses. Started off with some delicious salmon-thingy that one of the residents referred to its addictiveness to that of crack. 2nd course was every vegetable you could imagine tempura fried. 3rd course was a wooden boat with 20 different types of sushi. 4th course was 4 different desserts, including probably the best tiramisu I've ever had. Plus all kinds of wine and beer.

I'm salivating just thinking about it again...

The tequila shots part is true. I witnessed that myself - didn't indulge in it because I am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. The one about someone getting too drunk is second hand info. I did see some candidates dunking down six sangrias and then doing shots so there 'maybe' some truth to it. Dunno fo sho.

Best dinner I had was at BI...we went to a Japanese restaurant. 4 courses. Started off with some delicious salmon-thingy that one of the residents referred to its addictiveness to that of crack. 2nd course was every vegetable you could imagine tempura fried. 3rd course was a wooden boat with 20 different types of sushi. 4th course was 4 different desserts, including probably the best tiramisu I've ever had. Plus all kinds of wine and beer.

Bolded made me LOL :D

Having my Boston ones back to back last year made for the best food I have eaten in 1 week. I'm glad I had the Japanese place at BID because they rotate around and I could've missed it.

last year I think WUSTL was pretty awesome...seemed like residents got blank checks to take us to places of their choosing. Split into two different groups for the night and the tab was pretty extensive!

I think UIC was the only place I ate at that offered a limited menu for us. That said, filet was on that limited menu, so I was plenty happy. The best dinners were UIC, KU, and Tulane. Louisville was quite good. Iowa and Kentucky were also decent. Oklahoma probably would've been okay if the restaurant hadn't totally screwed up.

The tequila shots part is true. I witnessed that myself - didn't indulge in it because I am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol. The one about someone getting too drunk is second hand info. I did see some candidates dunking down six sangrias and then doing shots so there 'maybe' some truth to it. Dunno fo sho.

I'm not doubting the tequila shots. I just think it is hilarious that some one could be so dumb as to drink so much the night before their interview that they couldn't even make it to the program the next day!

I'm not doubting the tequila shots. I just think it is hilarious that some one could be so dumb as to drink so much the night before their interview that they couldn't even make it to the program the next day!

Human behaviour (or rather human stupidity) knows no bounds. Despite saying I am a tad skeptical about drinking yourself silly and missing a potentially career-altering interview.

Without question the ABSOLUTE BEST pre interview dinner I went to was....

THE LAST ONE.

Little did I know that I would be on the other end interviewing residents later on.

At that point, the best pre interview dinner was....

THE LAST ONE.

THE LAST ONE.

Little did I know that I would be on the other end interviewing residents later on.

THE LAST ONE.

With only a couple left, I'm sure I will be in agreement with you

This x1000000.

UK and Stony Brook come to mind as best dinners.

Stony Brook also put us up at a sweet hotel the night before. Another place that comes to mind was UTMB Galveston which paid airfare, hotel and took us to lunch at the yacht club. A shame about the location since it was one of my favorite programs that I interviewed at. My favorite though was Jackson Memorial.. dinner in south beach AFTER the interview and I had food and liquor coming out of every pore by the end of the night.

PS. On a related note, I will never forget the coordinator from Shreveport suggesting, in her thickest Louisiana drawl, that I stay at the motel 6 the night before the interview. Needless to say I passed.

Stony Brook also put us up at a sweet hotel the night before. Another place that comes to mind was UTMB Galveston which paid airfare, hotel and took us to lunch at the yacht club. A shame about the location since it was one of my favorite programs that I interviewed at. My favorite though was Jackson Memorial.. dinner in south beach AFTER the interview and I had food and liquor coming out of every pore by the end of the night.

PS. On a related note, I will never forget the coordinator from Shreveport suggesting, in her thickest Louisiana drawl, that I stay at the motel 6 the night before the interview. Needless to say I passed.

Oh wow this year we didn't get any of that at Utmb. We didn't even get a pre interview dinner! Maybe cause of hurricane Ike? Ya the city of Galveston is probably the biggest drawback at utmb. I really liked the program though. Their intern year rocks

THE LAST ONE.

THE LAST ONE.

As I now have finished with interviews, I will definitely have to agree with you!

Another place that comes to mind was UTMB Galveston which paid airfare, hotel and took us to lunch at the yacht club.
Wow, Galveston paid for a grand total of nothing last year and took us to some fairly crappy soup and sandwich joint in town whose oven was broken. :laugh: