SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Best Anki deck for step 1

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Arewestilldoingphrasing?, Feb 11, 2018.

Zanki or Bros

1. Bros

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Zanki

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
  3. Other

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. I've heard good things about bros and zanki, which is better/is there any difference? Preferably I would like one with Pathoma incorporated

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DNC127

DNC127 Im just here so I don't get fined. 2+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2015
    The Mountains
    Zanki. By far. I did about 1/2 of bros, then switched to zanki. Bros is great, zanki is just more thorough.

4. Syncrohnize

Syncrohnize SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Bros was good in 2013 when it was made, it then after quality started dropping and updates aren’t that great.

5. DNC127

Jul 31, 2015
    The Mountains
    In fact, if I could change anything about how I studied medicine it would be to study Zanki from day 1. I started in January, doing about 500 new a day + all reviews. I only have about 14k left and should finish early march. Started U world last week after finishing my last bank and my average timed & random block scores are well above the national average for each block despite not learning 3 of the systems and such and I still have 5 months to study... Do Zanki.

redsox93, AnatomyGrey12 and Gurby like this.
  6. mymembernames

mymembernames 7+ Year Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Zanki>Bros>>>FC

7. mr.mkitty

mr.mkitty 2+ Year Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I haven't taken Step yet so take this however you want, but I personally find Zanki to be over-comprehensive. There are simply too many cards for too many easy details that you should be able to remember without needing a card for it. If you like having every single detail from First Aid as a card, then Zanki is phenomenal and that's what you should go with. But I find a huge deck like that just takes away from doing board questions.

Dermpire likes this.
  8. AnatomyGrey12

AnatomyGrey12 2+ Year Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Midwest
    Eh that has a few issues. One, it’s only 72 students from the same institution. Two, it only compares user generated cards to FC. It doesn’t compare to pre-made Anki cards. I have no doubt that you could have a good outcome if you make your own cards (if your curriculum allows the time for this), but I think we need far more data before we say that using a deck like the Zanki or Bros deck doesn’t predict increased outcomes or even that making your own cards is better than using a pre-made Anki deck.

OP the Zanki deck is far more thorough. The only caveat is that if you are starting to prep for an exam date in like a few months then maybe consider Bros simply because it is shorter by about 10k cards. If you are earlier in the process then go to Zanki.

redsox93 likes this.
  9. libertyyne

libertyyne 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2015
    say what you will about the limitations of the study. It is still more robust data than musings or anecdotes of performance that anyone will provide.

Gurby likes this.
  10. AnatomyGrey12

Sep 8, 2015
    Midwest
    Comparatively sure, but only by a hair honestly. It’s a pretty weak study, and I’m not sure I would use the term “robust” to describe the data.

FindersFee5 likes this.
  11. libertyyne

libertyyne 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2015
    IMG_20180212_012705.jpg
    I'm unsure I would call a survey on sdn "data. " Please show me a stronger study . I'm open to having my opinion changed.

I am being generous with the expert part.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  12. AnatomyGrey12

Sep 8, 2015
    Midwest
    Wut? I said nothing about an SDN survey. However an SDN survey is just about as effective as sending a survey around a single medical school class and having a respondant cohort compromised of 72 people...Bottom line, the study you presented sucks (I know you know this....) and is only a hair better than anecdote or SDN surveys. I agree we need a better study.

Rei02sDinnerParty likes this.
  13. Lets_Run

Lets_Run SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Day 1 from...?

1st year?
    2nd year?
    1st day of dedicated?

14. liquidcrawler

liquidcrawler 2+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2015
    East Coast
    So, as a soon to be M1, should I start zanki from day 1, only adding decks after my lecture material covered it? Or, just forget about lectures after anatomy and focus on zanki?

15. DNC127

Jul 31, 2015
    The Mountains
    Yes. From day 0 of medical school basically just keep up with what in class and never miss a review day. And then January of 2nd year get ahead and do the systems you still have left which wouldn't be too big of an ordeal.

AnatomyGrey12 likes this.
  16. So what are good settings for it? New cards a day, reviews, all that? I’m an M1

OWO and SandyPants like this.
  17. DNC127

Jul 31, 2015
    The Mountains
    Just depends. I am just going through the whole bank so I do about 500 new a day and 1000 review. If you were keeping up with class I would just figure out how many there were to get done in your class block. For example if there were 3000 cardio path/phys/pharm cards and you had 30 days of cardio it would be 100 new a day. I would just do all reviews that are available so you stay up on them.

18. Kewell35

Kewell35 2+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Anyone else forgetting zanki cards with >5 months reviews? Like I feel as if I'm forgetting entire concepts...I'm using the default anki settings...anyone else? should I change it?

19. DNC127

Jul 31, 2015
    The Mountains
    I have my max review set at 60 days for boards studying purposes.

emergencycat likes this.
  20. RunawayGrape

RunawayGrape

Oct 4, 2016
    United States
    Be careful about adding too many cards from lecture into the deck. If your curriculum is P/F, I wouldn't bother with that at all. Lecture often includes a lot of irrelevant minutiae that are low yield for Step 1, and the Zanki deck is big enough as it is.

AnatomyGrey12 likes this.
  21. liquidcrawler

liquidcrawler 2+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2015
    East Coast
    Apologies, I meant more so that when I finish, for example, my renal block I'd add the renal Zanki deck to the overall deck (if this is how Zanki is organized? I'm not sure). This is versus just adding decks and doing them before my lecture blocks have touched the material.

22. sammiesings

sammiesings 2+ Year Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Just wondering, what does modifying the max review setting do for you in this situation?

Thanks for all the information about zanki btw; you've got me recommitting to it!

23. DNC127

Jul 31, 2015
    The Mountains
    I take boards in June, so I want to make sure I see each card as much as possible, and don't want them to get more than a couple months out no matter how well I think I know it... thats really all it does. It does make it so you have more cards to review each day, but if you actually know the cards it doesnt add that much more time to do an extra 200 or so reviews.

sammiesings likes this.
  24. Kewell35

Kewell35 2+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2014
    doesn't setting the max review at 60 days just mean that the longest a card can go without being seen is 60 days? Would changing the intervals be better?

25. kb1900

kb1900 2+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2015
    I think, like the person you’re responding to, it depends on how far our step 1 is. I don’t take it for another year and a few months, so I’m fine with my max review being 4 months.

As I get into second year though, it’s going to go down to 2 months.

I don’t see how changing the intervals would make more sense or be better u less your retention rate is lower than 90% for learnin/young/mature cards

sammiesings likes this.
  26. Elessar

Elessar

May 24, 2016
    I think it's silly to set your max as low as 6o days. If you know something, you know it (especially with some of Zanki's easier physio cards), so at that point you're just being inefficient with your time. I wouldn't recommend a max lower than ~4 months, and even that can be unnecessary. Trust the algorithm.

sammiesings and Kewell35 like this.
  27. Kewell35

Kewell35 2+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Max interval means that's the longest time that you would see a card again. If you know a card really well (like ridiculously simple stuff) then why do you want to see it every 2 months? or 4 months? It's inefficient...that's what I'm getting at.

Also let's say that you see a card 3 months before your step, and the max is set at 4 months, then you are going to see the card a month after your step is done. It just seems inefficient.

kb1900 likes this.
  28. DNC127

Jul 31, 2015
    The Mountains
    It only takes like .5 seconds to review a card you know really well. Not really braking the bank time wise. Also, there are so many things I "knew" dead cold that I "knew" I would never forget that turns out I forgot after a couple months. In my mind, I would rather spend more time to make sure that I see everything multiple times.

29. Huggy

Huggy

Apr 24, 2016
    MDApps:
    Nahh.

FC is king

30. kb1900

kb1900 2+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2015
    You’re missing the point I think. If a card is THAT easy, why are you even keeping it in the deck? If I’m certain I’m going to remember it in 2 years, I delete it. (I’m looking at you heterochromatin cards...)

Having said that, the point of lowering your max interval is that the cost-benefit is a minuscule loss of efficiency for massive gain.

It takes less than 40 minutes for me to do like 400-500 reviews. I’d rather have an extra 50 reviews daily if it means that I’ll eventually get a card that I’ve forgotten -> encouraging me to do a review of that concept

FindersFee5 likes this.
  31. Kewell35

Kewell35 2+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It's still a card though. Do you delete everything that you think you know well?

Not sure man, that's one card but many cards do accumulate, and minutes do turn into hours long term. I wish more information was given on these kind of settings or studies were conducted on the benefits of different settings.

kb1900 likes this.
  32. kb1900

kb1900 2+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Totally with you but we barely even have a study regarding anki use in med school. Iirc @libertyyne mentioned that one such study suggests making your own cards to give the “most return” in terms of step score across a single cohort of like 70 students via self report survey

AnatomyGrey12 and Kewell35 like this.
  33. Kewell35

Kewell35 2+ Year Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Why are you concentrating on one card only?

This still doesn't make sense when it comes to changing the maximum interval settings.

Which can be detrimental if accumulatively you wasted time which could be spent on other study methods or other material. Again, like I said it just seems inefficient. But I'm just talking by conjecture as we all are.

34. DNC127

Jul 31, 2015
    The Mountains
    you do you bro.

35. prettylittledoctor22

prettylittledoctor22 2+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Columbus, Ohio
    If I am starting Zanki right now and have my exam in late May, what should I set my intervals to? / how many cards a day

36. kb1900

kb1900 2+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Dude that’s like 100 days for 22k cards it’s not possible unless u did over 200 new cards per day.

Id just suspend all cards and unsuspend specific cards/subject decks for ur weak areas or things you’re getting things wrong in UWorld.

But I’m just an ms-1 full disclosure

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    FindersFee5 likes this.
  37. DNC127

Jul 31, 2015
    The Mountains
    Its completely possible. They just need to do 500 new a day, and they would finish in 59 days... Plenty of time.

FindersFee5 likes this.
  38. kb1900

kb1900 2+ Year Member

Oct 4, 2015
    I suck at math holy moley

revrick likes this.