Best Answering services

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thefootfixer

Reaction score
Any recs on here for a good answering service to take calls and schedule appointments? Looking for something decent for a new office

Members don't see this ad.

For a new practice, truth is the phone won't be ringing non-stop at the beginning no matter how much money you pour into marketing. You are better off using that money to hire a staff or 2 with good pay that will handle all phone calls, check-in, check-out, scheduling etc and literally everything upfront.

An answering service to take calls and schedule appointments is best for an already busy large practice (many providers with multiple locations).
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 users
I second the above. Hire a receptionist. However, if you're anticipating starting out as a one-person operation then there's software that patients can use to make their own appointments, fill out forms, etc. My massage therapist is a one-man show and he uses janeapp.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second the above. Hire a receptionist. However, if you're anticipating starting out as a one-person operation then there's software that patients can use to make their own appointments, fill out forms, etc. My massage therapist is a one-man show and he uses janeapp.
I agree with you but are you suggesting OP start a practice with zero employees? I started solo with one employee. I hired a second and I got roasted here on sdn for having 2 staffs up front (handling all phone calls, check-in, check-out, scheduling etc) and I had no MA.

With 2 employees at that time, I could split them and have one staff upfront and one at the back but I decided to have the 2 people upfront because I don't need an MA with me at the back when I was seeing about 10 patients a day (half of them new). That was like a year ago though.

I agree with you but are you suggesting OP start a practice with zero employees? I started solo with one employee. I hired a second and I got roasted here on sdn for having 2 staffs up front (handling all phone calls, check-in, check-out, scheduling etc) and I had no MA.

With 2 employees at that time, I could split them and have one staff upfront and one at the back but I decided to have the 2 people upfront because I don't need an MA with me at the back when I was seeing about 10 patients a day (half of them new). That was like a year ago though.
Well what would u recommend if I get close to opening and I haven’t found staff? Job market is weird…so I could possibly be solo for a bit

Well what would u recommend if I get close to opening and I haven’t found staff? Job market is weird…so I could possibly be solo for a bit
You wouldn’t be the first person to start out solo. Not ideal but you have to do what you have to do.

Job market is bonkers in certain areas. I love how young college age people think they deserve $20-30/hr with no experience bc tiktok said they're worth it.

Job market is bonkers in certain areas. I love how young college age people think they deserve $20-30/hr with no experience bc tiktok said they're worth it.
$15/hr has become the defacto minimum wage post-covid, like it or not. $7.50 has been an embarrassingly low minimum wage for the country. Tired of hearing employers bitch about “no one wants to work”. You can either afford to hire, or you can’t. And if you can’t afford to hire based on the going wage, and can’t do that work on your own, then you can’t afford to be in business.

Reactions: 1 user
$15/hr has become the defacto minimum wage post-covid, like it or not. $7.50 has been an embarrassingly low minimum wage for the country. Tired of hearing employers bitch about “no one wants to work”. You can either afford to hire, or you can’t. And if you can’t afford to hire based on the going wage, and can’t do that work on your own, then you can’t afford to be in business.
Can't remember if I shared this story.

We were interviewing for a receptionist. My partner got delayed getting to the office. The #1 candidate walked out after 10 minutes and told the manager something to the effect of "F&* this, I'm not waiting, I can make more money at McDonalds."

I'd like to think we offer a different sort of experience, but I will acknowledge they have more paths for promotion.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Can't remember if I shared this story.

We were interviewing for a receptionist. My partner got delayed getting to the office. The #1 candidate walked out after 10 minutes and told the manager something to the effect of "F&* this, I'm not waiting, I can make more money at McDonalds."

I'd like to think we offer a different sort of experience, but I will acknowledge they have more paths for promotion.
Wow. Sounds like you dodged a bullet! Front office people have to have mental toughness, especially with how much more entitled patients have become...sounds like she didn't have it lol

I wonder if anyone is developing a virtual front-of-office check-in system for medical offices to get rid of the Receptionist standard altogether? Walk in, click on a touch screen to check in, then have a seat. Or, check in via smart phone when you're in the parking lot. Everyone can wait outside if they don't want to come in and share air space with others. Get a text when it's your turn to come in and be roomed.

Wow. Sounds like you dodged a bullet! Front office people have to have mental toughness, especially with how much more entitled patients have become...sounds like she didn't have it lol
I do love it when people show their insanity as soon as possible. Huge bullet dodge. But if I need a $1 Dr. Pepper we may meet again.

I wonder if anyone is developing a virtual front-of-office check-in system for medical offices to get rid of the Receptionist standard altogether? Walk in, click on a touch screen to check in, then have a seat. Or, check in via smart phone when you're in the parking lot. Everyone can wait outside if they don't want to come in and share air space with others. Get a text when it's your turn to come in and be roomed.
This has been making some rounds

This will work great for ole Betty who's been roaming this earth for nearly a century and is coming in to see the ABPM with CAQ board certified podiatrist to have her nails trimmed.

This will work great for ole Betty who's been roaming this earth for nearly a century and is coming in to see the ABPM with CAQ board certified podiatrist to have her nails trimmed.
Get with the times, Mildred!

This has been making some rounds

I'm picturing a kiosk (or even a computer monitor) similar to what airports have to let you check in to your flight without standing in line, or check in via app. Mildred can still insist on a live person if necessary.

Come to think of it, my daughter's orthodontist had such a thing and that was over ten years ago. So much for my million dollar idea. I guess I'll just go back to work...

I'm picturing a kiosk (or even a computer monitor) similar to what airports have to let you check in to your flight without standing in line, or check in via app. Mildred can still insist on a live person if necessary.

Come to think of it, my daughter's orthodontist had such a thing and that was over ten years ago. So much for my million dollar idea...
Most Quest/Lapcorp offices have a self check-in kiosk like that.