Best Bluetooth Speaker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2Fast2Des

to become No One, one must be PP slick
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What Bluetooth speaker do you guys use that has the best bang for the buck for use in the OR and easy to just clip on your scrubs with good battery life\speaker quality, etc. ? Preferably less than $30 so in case it goes missing won't feel as bad

Members don't see this ad.

What Bluetooth speaker do you guys use that has the best bang for the buck for use in the OR and easy to just clip on your scrubs with good battery life\speaker quality, etc. ? Preferably less than $30 so in case it goes missing won't feel as bad
Now, this won't be great for clipping to your scrubs, but I've had the oontz angle 3 for about 17 months and have been completely satisfied. The loudness, sound quality, and batter life have all been excellent. Plus it's pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Clip to your scrubs?? Yeah, that’s not gonna make you look like a huge tool or anything.

Gonna be rollin’ to PACU like this guy:

5CEE335C-6DAE-4EBD-B60A-F4BDAADBDAF7.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users
For that price, you're gonna get crap quality sound. I've heard em, they suck. I got a couple JBL Charge's. Good, full quality sound and it costs about 100 bucks. Sounds like a much bigger speaker. Also very rugged and even waterproof so I can just throw it in my bag. Bose soundlink mini also good but doesn't get as loud and isn't as rugged

I have the Bose Soundlink Revolve Plus at home, it's one of the most expensive bluetooths on the market right now ($240) but also the best sounding IMO (when I bought it they had every bluetooth speaker on the market on display that you could listen to sample tracks on to compare all of them) and is one of the few to project sound equally 360 degrees. It gets way too loud for what you'd need in the OR and also probably a tad big for the OR. I think the Soundlink Revolve (the smaller non-Plus version) or older soundlink mini (as mentioned above) would be good OR options. both still have great quality sound for a bluetooth but smaller, cheaper, and without the wasted capacity to blast crisp beats at loud decibels which you would would never utilize in the OR anyways. I can tell you right now you will not get a good sounding speaker for $30, but I understand you don't want to worry about it disappearing if you leaving it in a room for a bit so that's reasonable to just grab something from the bargain bin.

For something you could potentially "clip to your scrubs" Bose also offers the very compact Soundlink Micro for $80 that comes with a built in clip, though I'm not as familiar with that model. Usually Bose sound is truly top notch for each class of speaker compared to most competitors but you'll also pay a premium for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is just me or what: Why do you need bluetooth speakers in OR?

Reactions: 1 users
I have a Bose Soundlink mini which I like. Good bass and reproduces the audio fairly well. It's about the size of a redbull can on its side.

Figure out which Bose speaker suits your needs best. You pay a little more but it’s worth it. I have gradually switched all my stuff to Bose and I’ve got 15+ year old speakers that still work great

Reactions: 1 users
For that price, you're gonna get crap quality sound. I've heard em, they suck. I got a couple JBL Charge's. Good, full quality sound and it costs about 100 bucks. Sounds like a much bigger speaker. Also very rugged and even waterproof so I can just throw it in my bag. Bose soundlink mini also good but doesn't get as loud and isn't as rugged
This is simply not true. Plenty of budget speakers with good to great sound quality. Like I said above, the Oontz angle 3. Plus when you consider the environment, the OR is so loud (bogie, suction, etc) that the highest quality sound probably could not be differentiated much from a good budget speaker. At least I'd think the difference would be miniscule in such an environment.

I have a Bose Soundlink mini which I like. Good bass and reproduces the audio fairly well. It's about the size of a redbull can on its side.

I was going to recommend the Bose Soundlink Mini 2. It’s good quality and plenty of volume but costs $200.

Closer to your price but still over it at $60 is the JBL Clip. It actually sounds pretty good for the price. I’ve had mine for like 5 years and it’s still going strong.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is simply not true. Plenty of budget speakers with good to great sound quality. Like I said above, the Oontz angle 3. Plus when you consider the environment, the OR is so loud (bogie, suction, etc) that the highest quality sound probably could not be differentiated much from a good budget speaker. At least I'd think the difference would be miniscule in such an environment.
Lol we can definitely hear the difference. And the OR can actually be very quiet depending on the case. People here quibbling over 50 bucks lmao.

Lol we can definitely hear the difference. And the OR can actually be very quiet depending on the case. People here quibbling over 50 bucks lmao.
I quibble over 20 bucks!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes b
yes but the rooms that tend to be quite are the ones where the surgeon doesn’t want music.

Yea, at my shop, the staff and I override that, got really nice OR speakers with Sirius

That’s risky. Great if you get to listen to good music but you might find yourself listening to Hits1 or Pop2K which would be torture.

It is just me or what: Why do you need bluetooth speakers in OR?

Lol keeps the surgeon quieter and keeps me awake for the all day cases. One of my attendings in residency would use his speaker as music therapy for blocks and induction for the patients.

Reactions: 1 user
Now, this won't be great for clipping to your scrubs, but I've had the oontz angle 3 for about 17 months and have been completely satisfied. The loudness, sound quality, and batter life have all been excellent. Plus it's pretty cheap.

I've read good reviews on that and the Tribit XSound Go.

That’s risky. Great if you get to listen to good music but you might find yourself listening to Hits1 or Pop2K which would be torture.

Hahaha, I have spent many a day in pop2K purgatory, fortunately we always got spotify as a backup

I told one of our young neurosurgeons that the Pitbull station was broken but she wouldn’t buy it.:vomit:

I told one of our young neurosurgeons that the Pitbull station was broken but she wouldn’t buy it.:vomit:
Hey we’ve got one that always want ABBA, and a vascular guy that wants Cat Stevens (every damn day).

Now when you say music therapy, Im assuming you mean screamo and hardcore rap. Something to distract them from whats going on. If you start playing cat stevens that is not going to distract me.

Kidding aside huge fan of the tribit. Quality is unbeatable imo

I have a Sony XB-10 that I got for $25 on Black Friday at Best Buy. I just checked, looks like it's $40 right now, but that thing packs a punch. Plenty of bass, gets loud, sounds good. It is small and lightweight and could clip onto scrubs (although I don't use it that way) and has a 16 hr battery life. Water resistant, not waterproof. Best of all, when it inevitably gets stolen because I forget it somewhere, I am only out $25.

UE roll. Fits my scrub pants’ pocket. Can hang on the iv pole. Looks distinct enough that people may think twice to borrow it. Sound pretty good too.