Best book to memorize for USMLE prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmlememorize

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

So I know similar questions have been asked on the forums in the past. My question is more specific to me so I'd like to see if I can get some input.

Prior to beginning my first-year in Medical School, I understand the importance of the USMLE. I wanted to ask, if there is one book to memorize (yes, memorize) till the very end, which book would that be? Honestly, I enjoy having memorization challenges, so in my free time, I'd like to find a book to memorize word for word (maybe just one concept a day even). I feel like it will help in two ways. One for the USMLE itself, and the other for when I cover it in medical school.

I've heard that First-Aid is a good book to memorize, but I want to see from the community of those who've done it before me to see what books are better.

My guess is that First Aid goes over all the high yield stuff, and so memorizing that word for word would help in the long run. Obviously, as I go through my classes during the first year of medical school, I do plan on connecting the dots.

Also, is First Aid USMLE 2016 different than 2017 significantly? If I were to use one book (2016 version), and then take the exam is 2019, would I have memorized different material? What about a 2006 version, for example? How big are the changes?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

So I know similar questions have been asked on the forums in the past. My question is more specific to me so I'd like to see if I can get some input.

Prior to beginning my first-year in Medical School, I understand the importance of the USMLE. I wanted to ask, if there is one book to memorize (yes, memorize) till the very end, which book would that be? Honestly, I enjoy having memorization challenges, so in my free time, I'd like to find a book to memorize word for word (maybe just one concept a day even). I feel like it will help in two ways. One for the USMLE itself, and the other for when I cover it in medical school.

I've heard that First-Aid is a good book to memorize, but I want to see from the community of those who've done it before me to see what books are better.

My guess is that First Aid goes over all the high yield stuff, and so memorizing that word for word would help in the long run. Obviously, as I go through my classes during the first year of medical school, I do plan on connecting the dots.

Also, is First Aid USMLE 2016 different than 2017 significantly? If I were to use one book (2016 version), and then take the exam is 2019, would I have memorized different material? What about a 2006 version, for example? How big are the changes?

Thanks everyone!

My advice to you would be to do the following:
Purchase First Aid and access to a QBank. Try your best to memorize First Aid cover to cover, then start the QBank. As you miss questions, go over the solutions and then annotate your copy of First Aid. After you finish the QBank, go back and try to memorize your fully annotated copy of First Aid. If you can successfully do all of that, I am extremely confident you will score 240+.

Regarding editions, I doubt there is much change between 2016 and 2017, but I would stay away from a 2006 copy or any copy that is more than 3 years old. While year to year there is not much change, the test certainly does evolve over time.

For more of my USMLE strategy (250+/99), check out: http://www.scrubnotes.com/2009/01/my-usmle-step-1-study-strategy.html

Good luck!

My advice to you would be to do the following:
Purchase First Aid and access to a QBank. Try your best to memorize First Aid cover to cover, then start the QBank. As you miss questions, go over the solutions and then annotate your copy of First Aid. After you finish the QBank, go back and try to memorize your fully annotated copy of First Aid. If you can successfully do all of that, I am extremely confident you will score 240+.

Regarding editions, I doubt there is much change between 2016 and 2017, but I would stay away from a 2006 copy or any copy that is more than 3 years old. While year to year there is not much change, the test certainly does evolve over time.

For more of my USMLE strategy (250+/99), check out: http://www.scrubnotes.com/2009/01/my-usmle-step-1-study-strategy.html

Good luck!
Congratulations to you! This is great advice. I think that trying to memorize First Aid is worth a shot. You definitely deserve your score, and I really appreciate your willingness to pass on what you did. We need more people like you. I will most definitely keep this website in mind to help me with my own USMLE. Thank you!

Yeah I'd say go for it. Straight rote memorization will go a long way. And It's surprisingly very common of for people to memorize entire books (Hafiz). It just so happens that USMLE Step 1 is a glorified memorization contest. People act like it's about clinical reasoning and thinking. It's not. The thinking involved is the easy part. The hard part is the VOLUME of easy, memorizable facts.

Limiting factor in MCAT = critical thinking
limiting factor for USMLE = memorizing ability

Which book to memorize? First Aid and/or pathoma

Reactions: 1 users