Best book to memorize for USMLE prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmlememorize

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I posted this on the USMLE sub-forum but decided to post it here too, since their seems to be more activity and a lot of qualified individuals to answer this question on this forum.

So I know similar questions have been asked on the forums in the past. My question is more specific to me so I'd like to see if I can get some input.

Prior to beginning my first-year in Medical School, I understand the importance of the USMLE. I wanted to ask, if there is one book to memorize (yes, memorize) till the very end, which book would that be? Honestly, I enjoy having memorization challenges, so in my free time, I'd like to find a book to memorize word for word (maybe just one concept a day even). I feel like it will help in two ways. One for the USMLE itself, and the other for when I cover it in medical school.

I've heard that First-Aid is a good book to memorize, but I want to see from the community of those who've done it before me to see what books are better.

My guess is that First Aid goes over all the high yield stuff, and so memorizing that word for word would help in the long run. Obviously, as I go through my classes during the first year of medical school, I do plan on connecting the dots.

Also, is First Aid USMLE 2016 different than 2017 significantly? If I were to use one book (2016 version), and then take the exam is 2019, would I have memorized different material? What about a 2006 version, for example? How big are the changes?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Big Robbins.

Harrison's or Cecil's if you have a few extra days to spare.

Reactions: 5 users
Big Robbins.

Harrison's or Cecil's if you have a few extra days to spare.
Thanks! This is great advice. I've never heard of these books but I have plenty of time (first year hasn't even started yet). Out of the three you suggested, which one do you think is the best? Also, do you think that these are better than First Aid?

Also, which titles exactly for these books? I searched up Big Robbins but didn't see any title like that. Forgive me for my ignorance

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Robbins...

That said- if you are memorizing for memorization sake, it'll be time wasted. I did a pure PBL based program and read Robbins three times cover to cover over 4 years. The trick is to link it all in your head and blend the physiology. You need to understand the interconnections of this stuff. Its what makes a physician a physician. Anyone can memorize an algorithm...

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! This is great advice. I've never heard of these books but I have plenty of time (first year hasn't even started yet). Out of the three you suggested, which one do you think is the best? Also, do you think that these are better than First Aid?

Also, which titles exactly for these books? I searched up Big Robbins but didn't see any title like that. Forgive me for my ignorance

Thanks again!
It's sarcasm.

Reactions: 4 users
It's sarcasm.
tumblr_neqwm56MgP1sgl0ajo1_500.gif

Agree with Robbins...

That said- if you are memorizing for memorization sake, it'll be time wasted. I did a pure PBL based program and read Robbins three times cover to cover over 4 years. The trick is to link it all in your head and blend the physiology. You need to understand the interconnections of this stuff. Its what makes a physician a physician. Anyone can memorize an algorithm...
Very true. I was thinking that I'd initially memorize it, and then connect the dots as applicable courses go by. I appreciate the insight - it's good food for thought and reflection

Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Appreciate you.

I looked at the book on Amazon and it seems more like a textbook full of information, as opposed to the way first-aid is structured (which is kind of comparable to bullet-point style). It doesn't seem like Robbins is made for memorization as much as First-Aid is. Any advice on this? I'm trying to get a resource that I can memorize and then just have high yield USMLE stuff in my head. Robbins may be it, but I just don't know how to use it.

Thanks again

Hello All,

I posted this on the USMLE sub-forum but decided to post it here too, since their seems to be more activity and a lot of qualified individuals to answer this question on this forum.

So I know similar questions have been asked on the forums in the past. My question is more specific to me so I'd like to see if I can get some input.

Prior to beginning my first-year in Medical School, I understand the importance of the USMLE. I wanted to ask, if there is one book to memorize (yes, memorize) till the very end, which book would that be? Honestly, I enjoy having memorization challenges, so in my free time, I'd like to find a book to memorize word for word (maybe just one concept a day even). I feel like it will help in two ways. One for the USMLE itself, and the other for when I cover it in medical school.

I've heard that First-Aid is a good book to memorize, but I want to see from the community of those who've done it before me to see what books are better.

My guess is that First Aid goes over all the high yield stuff, and so memorizing that word for word would help in the long run. Obviously, as I go through my classes during the first year of medical school, I do plan on connecting the dots.

Also, is First Aid USMLE 2016 different than 2017 significantly? If I were to use one book (2016 version), and then take the exam is 2019, would I have memorized different material? What about a 2006 version, for example? How big are the changes?

Thanks everyone!
Instead of focusing on memorizing, you should be focusing on understanding. That's how you do well in med school and on the USMLEs.

FA isn't the best book if this is your first time learning a topic or subject. Instead, FA should be used as a review of what you've learned. Or at least as a detailed outline of what you need to learn.

Since it sounds like you haven't even started med school yet, maybe wait until you've started, see what your med school curriculum is like, what people at your med school recommend, etc. Just focus on adjusting to MS1 (which could be hard enough) and doing well during MS1 for now.

Reactions: 3 users
Appreciate you.

I looked at the book on Amazon and it seems more like a textbook full of information, as opposed to the way first-aid is structured (which is kind of comparable to bullet-point style). It doesn't seem like Robbins is made for memorization as much as First-Aid is. Any advice on this? I'm trying to get a resource that I can memorize and then just have high yield USMLE stuff in my head. Robbins may be it, but I just don't know how to use it.

Thanks again

Oh I thought you were serious about doing well on Step I. Nevermind.

Members don't see this ad :)
The person you quoted in your response that I quoted was being sarcastic. They're all solid texts, but even making an attempt at memorizing them is an act of futility and will provide minimal return on Step.
I apologize. Sorry for my rude comment; I really appreciate your insight

Instead of focusing on memorizing, you should be focusing on understanding. That's how you do well in med school and on the USMLEs.

FA isn't the best book if this is your first time learning a topic or subject. Instead, FA should be used as a review of what you've learned. Or at least as a detailed outline of what you need to learn.

Since it sounds like you haven't even started med school yet, maybe wait until you've started, see what your med school curriculum is like, what people at your med school recommend, etc. Just focus on adjusting to MS1 (which could be hard enough) and doing well during MS1 for now.
Okay great. Thank you for the advice. I read in various forums about how useful it was to memorize things like First Aid, and so I didn't want to be in my second year and have to start. But, what you're saying makes sense completely

The person you quoted in your response that I quoted was being sarcastic. They're all solid texts, but even making an attempt at memorizing them is an act of futility and will provide minimal return on Step.

My bad man again. I read through the posts again and I feel really terrible for calling you out. The first poster that I quoted was being sarcastic and I didn't realize that (due to my own ignorance). I really, really apologize for being a jerk like that.

Memorizing a book for the sake of rote memorization is a terrible plan. Especially if you're talking about pre-studying since it sounds like you're not a first year yet.

My bad man again. I read through the posts again and I feel really terrible for calling you out. The first poster that I quoted was being sarcastic and I didn't realize that (due to my own ignorance). I really, really apologize for being a jerk like that.
Lol. No worries. I have pretty thick skin and it's teh interwebz - it's water under the bridge. People can get snarky/sarcastic/short around here because this is a topic that comes up every year and can easily be searched. I'm assuming you've been accepted to med school at this point, so just don't even entertain the idea of pre-studying. Enjoy your time before med school begins and just do things you genuinely enjoy.

Lol. No worries. I have pretty thick skin and it's teh interwebz - it's water under the bridge. People can get snarky/sarcastic/short around here because this is a topic that comes up every year and can easily be searched. I'm assuming you've been accepted to med school at this point, so just don't even entertain the idea of pre-studying. Enjoy your time before med school begins and just do things you genuinely enjoy.

Much appreciated man. Thank you for the insight and advice for the time before medical school starts. I'm thinking I'll just follow your advice and take it slowly. I wish you all the best in your medical school journey as well!

Don't study before you get to med school. It's a waste of time. The hardest part of med school isn't step 1 or reading texts, it's getting acclimated to your med school's curriculum and busy work. Once you have a solid footing with how your school functions, you can add in outside resources or references to study additionally for step 1. Unless a lecture on day 1 of med school references Robbins, there's no need to slug it around with you and read 50 pages a day.

Just relax now. Get your footing once you're in med school and ease your way up. I can go through FA now and understand everything that's going on because med school provides enough context to do so during the first 1.5-2 years, and I've supplemented with a few outside resources (sketchy med, pathoma, FA videos, questions). You'll get to a point where you can sift through lectures more quickly and hone in on your weaknesses for the boards once you're in second year, which is where most of the step studying should occur.

Worrying about studying right now will bring no returns (or very minimal) and will not be worth the angst and stress you bring on yourself. I would find the couple things you enjoy doing or the few things you've been wanting to improve on in your life, and put your energy into those if you feel the need for being productive.

You seem like you really want to do well and genuinely like learning so I guess if you absolutely must do something before medical school, you could spend some time with BRS Physiology. That book is a gold mine and is important for any medical student to familiarize themselves with and understand it backwards and forwards.

Most medical students about to take step 1 dont have first aid memorized. If you are able to accomplish that it will absolutely help you in med school and for step 1. The problem is that its very unlikely unless you are a savant. Maybe have a realistic goal of only memorizing thenfirst 60 pages or so.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Don't study before you get to med school. It's a waste of time. The hardest part of med school isn't step 1 or reading texts, it's getting acclimated to your med school's curriculum and busy work. Once you have a solid footing with how your school functions, you can add in outside resources or references to study additionally for step 1. Unless a lecture on day 1 of med school references Robbins, there's no need to slug it around with you and read 50 pages a day.

Just relax now. Get your footing once you're in med school and ease your way up. I can go through FA now and understand everything that's going on because med school provides enough context to do so during the first 1.5-2 years, and I've supplemented with a few outside resources (sketchy med, pathoma, FA videos, questions). You'll get to a point where you can sift through lectures more quickly and hone in on your weaknesses for the boards once you're in second year, which is where most of the step studying should occur.

Worrying about studying right now will bring no returns (or very minimal) and will not be worth the angst and stress you bring on yourself. I would find the couple things you enjoy doing or the few things you've been wanting to improve on in your life, and put your energy into those if you feel the need for being productive.
Thanks! I feel a lot better after reading this and am happy that medical school will give me the tools to tackle the Steps with less stress. I appreciate your advice and won't stress it too much at this point and focus more on other things.

Most medical students about to take step 1 dont have first aid memorized. If you are able to accomplish that it will absolutely help you in med school and for step 1. The problem is that its very unlikely unless you are a savant. Maybe have a realistic goal of only memorizing thenfirst 60 pages or so.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile
Haha yah. I like the challenge of memorizing and the FA book is surprisingly a little interesting to read. Still, you're right about the likelihood of memorizing such a book. I wish there was something smaller but its the USMLE after all. Thanks for your insight.

You seem like you really want to do well and genuinely like learning so I guess if you absolutely must do something before medical school, you could spend some time with BRS Physiology. That book is a gold mine and is important for any medical student to familiarize themselves with and understand it backwards and forwards.

Thanks! I will look into that...

You can also casually study about how to study right now if you can't control yourself. I suggest "Advanced Learning and Teaching Technologies" by Eben Pagan (video seminar) if you want to get an overview of metacognition.

IF there were enough time in life to commit a book to memory, Robbins would not be a terrible choice. Of all the books I need to reference, it is the one that pays the greatest dividends on test days.

But yeah, don't study for memorization. Study for understanding.

If you absolutely MUST prestudy, review as much anatomy and physiology as you can. The better you understand the normal A&P, the better you will be able to understand why and how things go wrong. But you'd do much better to spend the time between now and the start of classes doing other things. Visiting people you care about who won't see you too much for a few years. Exercising. Learning to cook cheap, nutritious, easy to prepare meals. Playing video games or going to movies or hiking or whatever recreation that you will not get as much of as you'd like in the coming years.

Do NOT memorize. Learn to think and apply.

Hello All,

Thanks everyone!

Do NOT memorize. Learn to think and apply.
I think people have very fundamental differences on what memorization means. For some it seems like something like "TLR4 recognizes LPS" is "learning" while for me it's clearly memorizing. Either way you have to know it.

Very true. I was thinking that I'd initially memorize it, and then connect the dots as applicable courses go by. I appreciate the insight - it's good food for thought and reflection
Memorization will be 10x harder if you don't understand what you're memorizing.

So how can one go about truly understanding the big Robbins textbook? What's the best way to read that book?

So how can one go about truly understanding the big Robbins textbook? What's the best way to read that book?
First watch Pathoma to get the big picture so to speak, then read big Robbins for additional detail, then do Robbins and Cotran's Review of Pathology qbook to test yourself.

People ask this question a lot as if they are going to somehow "game" medical school. The answer every time is to follow what your school provides and add in additional resources like First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy, etc. as needed.