Best Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I made a post earlier about the best prep course. Now I'm wondering what MCAT BOOK SET you all would recommend?

I'm leaning towards the Princeton Review newest edition that's around $135 on Amazon (comes out in a few weeks)

But, i've also heard of KAPLAN being great...

I feel like I definitely need a lot of content review, especially for Organic Chemistry... which book set did you guys use?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan will give you an overload of content review which may be helpful in your case. I thought the organic chemistry book from Kaplan was perfectly fine. I can’t really speak on TPR too much since I didn’t end up buying those materials.

Reactions: 1 user
Kaplan will give you an overload of content review which may be helpful in your case. I thought the organic chemistry book from Kaplan was perfectly fine. I can’t really speak on TPR too much since I didn’t end up buying those materials.

Yeah. I got a C in Orgo I so definitely need to review that... I struggle in CARS a lot too

I can recommend Kaplan. It has been an invaluable tool, and buying the set gives you a bunch of practice questions and a few Full Length tests to take. I think it ran like $200 for the 7 book set last year.

The only book i wouldn't recommend from the set is the Physical Science book (only because I feel like it didn't break a few concepts down enough). Though the Khan Academy website is amazing for that part.

Members don't see this ad :)
If Organic is your weakness, why would you do anything other than TBR for that subject? Nothing else comes close. The books offer great strategies and tons of passages. It is the only book I found that mixed biology into organic.

If Organic is your weakness, why would you do anything other than TBR for that subject? Nothing else comes close. The books offer great strategies and tons of passages. It is the only book I found that mixed biology into organic.

Really? TBR is The Berkeley review I assume?

Seems like I’m gonna have to get different books for each subject. I wanted to just get one book set from a prep company and review that but...

Princeton Review and Kaplan both overload you with wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many details to memorize. Examkrackers is much more to the point.

Princeton Review and Kaplan both overload you with wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many details to memorize. Examkrackers is much more to the point.

Thanks. I think I am leaning towards ether Examcrackers or Princeton review. Also, super cool picture. but Spectacular was much better...

I really enjoyed The Berkeley Review books for both chems and physics. Kaplan is good good for biochem and bio. I also enjoyed EK CARs. I have all of them if you’re interested!

I really enjoyed The Berkeley Review books for both chems and physics. Kaplan is good good for biochem and bio. I also enjoyed EK CARs. I have all of them if you’re interested!

Could you elaborate on which one you used for each?

Berkely Review - General and Organic Chem as well as Physics?
KAPLAN - Biochem and Bio
EK - CARS

??

Could you elaborate on which one you used for each?

Berkely Review - General and Organic Chem as well as Physics?
KAPLAN - Biochem and Bio
EK - CARS

??
Berkely for OChem, Gchem, physics
Kaplan for Bio, Biochem,
EK for Cars. However, they didn't follow AAMC logic at all so I switched over to UWORLD for CARS.