Best Cardiac Anesthesia Text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBOB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have recommendations for a good cardiac anesthesia text? I see quite a few books are available but I have not been able to find much in regards to reviews that aren't >10yrs old. I am a CA2 starting my second cardiac rotation soon, hoping for something a bit more in depth than Miller/Morgan and Mikhail. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I really enjoy Kaplan's essentials of cardiac anesthesia
- the "essentials" text is much easier to digest that the full "Kaplan's cardiac anesthesia". I've been told its more appropriate for residency, whereas the full text is more geared towards fellows. I plan on purchasing the full textbook when I start cards fellowship next year.
Also, I really enjoy the Atlas of Cardiothoracic anesthesia, however I've only found it for >$200

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan is absolute tome which I think may even be thicker than Barash. It’s a good reference for fellows, not so much for residents. I had big plans for getting through it in fellowship.... yeah right.

I didnt even know about the handbook, probably worth a look. Hensley is good as well.

Much more important for a Ca-2 on a first time rotation is to understand the implications of anesthetizing a patient with coronary disease, valvular disease, arrhythmia etc... that you can get from any text like M&M, Barash, Stoelting.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't buy a book as a resident. My residents who have read the relevant sections of M and M and/or baby Miller plus the entirety of the uptodate articles in their cardiac anesthesia section have more than enough knowledge for their rotations

UpToDate cardiac anesthesia

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Kaplan is enormous and by size is bigger than Barash, I have both sitting over my work desk. I read through a fair amount of Kaplan while I was a fellow, and I will honestly say the book is not worth it as a resident. It is much too unwieldy in terms of chapter length and it's difficult to really just sit there and read. That being said, it is a good book, but it is severe overkill and will likely hamper your overall learning in terms of how much effort you'll need to put into reading each chapter. I would suggest review articles on particular topics instead.

Prop roc tube lines echo heparin epi protamine +\- blood ICU rinse repeat you're welcome :shifty:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Are you actually joking me? A second year resident that thinks miller isn't deep enough. Mother of God. What is actually happening to the world right now.

Are you actually joking me? A second year resident that thinks miller isn't deep enough. Mother of God. What is actually happening to the world right now.

Baby Miller Is what I meant, not the full version.

Wonder how many people actually read a book like Kaplans during fellowships. I don't feel it's efficient in improving myself as a CT anesthesiologist. Between calls, working, and studying, i'm not sure how you would have time to read a text thicker than barash....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Wonder how many people actually read a book like Kaplans during fellowships. I don't feel its efficient in improving myself as a CT anesthesiologist. Between calls, working, and studying, i'm not sure how you would have time to read a text thicker than barash....

That book is about as readable as an unabridged dictionary. The CAD section, for instance, is not only a comprehensive enough reference for anesthesiologists, but is also apparently geared towards interventional cardiologists, CT surgeons, perfusionists, anatomists, physiologists, veterinarians, and the guy next door wondering if he should refill his Lipitor.

Reactions: 3 users
I never read much Kaplan, seemed like a bloated text.

If I were you OP, I would get my hands on the Gravlee text on cardiopulmonary bypass. Your attendings will go over "hemodynamic goals" and for inducing cardiac patients (which is mostly handwringing over nothing anyway), but most probably won't talk to you about the heart lung machine. The heart lung machine and the surgery itself are the keys to a cardiac case. Whether or not to use isoflurane for myocardial preconditioning, all that stuff is crap.

That said, besides understanding cardiopulmonary bypass, the other most important thing is to understand the operation. Thus, reading a cardiac surgical textbook to understand the procedure is important. Clinicalkey gives you access to Kirklin I beleive, if your residency gives you access to that.

Your attendings will go over "hemodynamic goals" and for inducing cardiac patients (which is mostly handwringing over nothing anyway),

I'm about 80 CPB cases in.... the more I look at the TEE when the pt's walls are moving well when the MAP is 50, the more i think this is true... but who can argue for a MAP of 50 during inductin??