Best Cell Biology/Psychiatry/Pathophysiology/Neuroscience Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post what you think are the best cell biology or psychiatry or neuroscience or pathophysiology books and why
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I have a background in Psych, so didn't use anything other than High Yield Psych for my clinical rotation. The Clinically Ridiculously version is good as well.

I'm a Rubin and Farber gal for Path; thought it had better pictures than Robbins. For Pathophysiology you can't beat the Appleton and Lange book - gee the title escapes me. I'll look it up and post later.

There are NO good neuroscience books; don't even get me started on Kandell and Schwartz. ick...

So, I'm curious - why did you lump these all together and separate the others...

Cell Bio - I think Alberts used to be the standard, but it's getting old, unless there's a new edition out. We used Lodish (2000) for our cell bio course - It's really good, but probably way more info than you need unless you're really interested in it. Lodish seems to cover most of biochem as well...

Psychiatry (pre-clinical/clinical) - Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry is really great, but again very detailed - so, if you just want the basics - probably not for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is pathophysiology a seperate course?

Definitely check out Nolte (The Human Brain) for Neuroscience... much easier to digest than Kandel. It's companion neuroanatomy atlas (by Nolte & Angevine) is fabulous.

doepug
(almost MSII, Hopkins)