Best Cell Biology/Psychiatry/Pathophysiology/Neuroscience Books

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by 8675309, Mar 18, 2001.

1. 8675309

8675309 Member

Please post what you think are the best cell biology or psychiatry or neuroscience or pathophysiology books and why
    Thank you

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I have a background in Psych, so didn't use anything other than High Yield Psych for my clinical rotation. The Clinically Ridiculously version is good as well.

I'm a Rubin and Farber gal for Path; thought it had better pictures than Robbins. For Pathophysiology you can't beat the Appleton and Lange book - gee the title escapes me. I'll look it up and post later.

There are NO good neuroscience books; don't even get me started on Kandell and Schwartz. ick...

4. gp

gp Member

So, I'm curious - why did you lump these all together and separate the others...

Cell Bio - I think Alberts used to be the standard, but it's getting old, unless there's a new edition out. We used Lodish (2000) for our cell bio course - It's really good, but probably way more info than you need unless you're really interested in it. Lodish seems to cover most of biochem as well...

Psychiatry (pre-clinical/clinical) - Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry is really great, but again very detailed - so, if you just want the basics - probably not for you.

5. Mikado

Mikado Senior Member

Is pathophysiology a seperate course?

6. doepug

doepug Senior Member

Definitely check out Nolte (The Human Brain) for Neuroscience... much easier to digest than Kandel. It's companion neuroanatomy atlas (by Nolte & Angevine) is fabulous.

doepug
    (almost MSII, Hopkins)