Best Chemistry Textbook For Chemistry I And The MCATs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused 20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be talking Chemistry I in the future. What is the best Chemistry textbook that will prepare one for taking Chemistry I and the MCATs?

Members don't see this ad.

Confused 20 said:
I will be talking Chemistry I in the future. What is the best Chemistry textbook that will prepare one for taking Chemistry I and the MCATs?

Use the text your professor requires for the course. When it's time for the MCAT, grab a review book to go along with your text.

You have to use the required text for the class, otherwise how will you keep up when they tell you to do the homework problems on page 216???

Don't worry about the MCAT. You're so far away from taking it that all you should worry about is getting good grades and volunteering somewhere.

Textbook might help with Acid/Base chemistry, solutions, and electrochemical cells when studying for the MCAT otherwise MCAT review books should be enough. Going with your prof's book recommendation is the best way to go as others have said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just use the assigned textbook for the course...when it's MCAT time, the usual suspects (Kaplan, TPR, EK) will be fine for review.

Confused 20 said:
i definitely recommend using whatever textbook your course assigns, and then when you study for the MCAT, don't use that textbook. Your notes may be helpful, but the textbook will go into much more detail than you're responsible to know for the MCAT. and if you study well the first time around, you might not need to review much at all.

good luck!