Best choice for writing sample?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swan_13

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you send with your clinical psych application: an IRB proposal or the lit review from a published manuscript? Leaning toward proposal, since folks could look up articles if interested, but wanted to hear others’ thoughts.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which reflects your writing the most? If you wrote/substantially contributed to a manuscript, then that one. That's what I am going to want you to do in graduate school so if you can do that already, that's better for me/my lab.

Although I /can/ look up research for all the applicants, if you send it to me then I'm sure to see it versus you relying on me /possibly/ seeing it.

Reactions: 1 user
Which would you send with your clinical psych application: an IRB proposal or the lit review from a published manuscript? Leaning toward proposal, since folks could look up articles if interested, but wanted to hear others’ thoughts.

Thanks!
Did you write the lit review? I'd want to see a term paper, preferably from a research-oriented class where you conduct your own study, but I recognize not everyone has that.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

I would actually suggest avoiding the proposal if you can. If you prefer to avoid the manuscript, a much better sample would still be an actual research paper you wrote. Did you have to complete any kind of senior/honor thesis, or a similar capstone project? That's probably your best bet! Otherwise, a paper that you wrote for a research methods or independent research course would still likely work better as samples than an IRB proposal.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you write the lit review? I'd want to see a term paper, preferably from a research-oriented class where you conduct your own study, but I recognize not everyone has that.

Yep, I’m 1st author and wrote most of the manuscript (minus the Results section and a paragraph or two). I also designed and carried out the study. But the manuscript is 4 pages longer as the specified length (without refs, tables) and I was concerned about having someone else’s writing in my sample. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread--but in general is it okay to submit a manuscript/article that you wrote and are first author on but have other co-authors that provided edits & comments? If so, would you recommend having an "author contribution" blurb at the end?

Thanks all for the input! I went with the manuscript, just added a note and removed what I didn’t write.

Not to hijack the thread--but in general is it okay to submit a manuscript/article that you wrote and are first author on but have other co-authors that provided edits & comments? If so, would you recommend having an "author contribution" blurb at the end?
This is ideal, I'd say. If you're first author, I'll assume you did most of the writing.