ABPP Practice Sample Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noworkftw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For some of the specialties, they provide a range for practice sample review (I've generally seen 2-3 months as typical). I haven't been able to see stats on this, but many seem to be moving toward revising as the most common outcome.

When I did mine, it took 6 months for my practice sample to be reviewed. I didn’t have to revise, I proceeded to step 3 without any revisions needed. It just took that long to get a committee together.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those in the ABPP world, is three months or more for a practice sample review typical? Also, how common is it to have to revise before getting to proceed to the oral exam? Note: this is not for forensic or neuro, which seem to follow a more elaborate and multi-layered process. Thanks!
Yes, 3 months is common (indeed up to 6 months is fairly common, depending on the board). If you are wondering where you are in the queue, you could always shoot the practice sample reviewer an email (you can DM me if you aren't sure who that is, I'm a board member and can find out easy enough). It is also quite common have revisions at this stage. The revisions are intended to set you up for success once it's in the hands of the exam committee.

Thanks! Is it typical to get the committee together to review the practice sample materials and then for the same committee to be present for the oral exam?

Yes, the committee that reviews the practice samples is the committee that is present for the oral exam. Happy to answer questions, but make sure that you also review the manual for the particular subspecialty board to which you applied.

I submitted my work samples 3 months ago, and when I login online it says my status is "ABCN Practice Sample Summary Decision." It's been at this status for awhile now (maybe a couple of weeks?) and is slowly driving me absolutely mad that I haven't gotten an email with said decision.....

Yes, the committee that reviews the practice samples is the committee that is present for the oral exam. Happy to answer questions, but make sure that you also review the manual for the particular subspecialty board to which you applied.
This varies by board. At ABBCP the practice sample reviewers and the oral examiners are not the same folks.

I submitted my work samples 3 months ago, and when I login online it says my status is "ABCN Practice Sample Summary Decision." It's been at this status for awhile now (maybe a couple of weeks?) and is slowly driving me absolutely mad that I haven't gotten an email with said decision.....
You could shoot the practice sample coordinator an email and ask for an update. No ones's going to hold that against you :)

Reactions: 1 user
You could shoot the practice sample coordinator an email and ask for an update. No ones's going to hold that against you :)
I’ve emailed the person I *think* can provide an update and haven’t heard! But I am relieved to hear you suggest this was an acceptable move ;-)

Reactions: 1 user
This morning I received an email indicating I reached candidacy status, so now I will need to upload my work samples and professional statement. Any recommendations or thoughts folks want to share who went through this process?
Not sure how CP compares to CN, but for the work samples, don't feel the need to try to track down something overly-complex. Go with something that you think demonstrates your competence and is also in an area you're comfortable discussing (e.g., research, conceptualization, intervention, etc.). Although if there's advice specifically from the CP board that says, "submit something very complex," ignore everything I just said.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure how CP compares to CN, but for the work samples, don't feel the need to try to track down something overly-complex. Go with something that you think demonstrates your competence and is also in an area you're comfortable discussing (e.g., research, conceptualization, intervention, etc.). Although if there's advice specifically from the CP board that says, "submit something very complex," ignore everything I just said.

My first video sample will be me doing an initial eval, and my second video sample will be my doing a feedback/goal/treatment planning session.