Best Cities to do Residency

Started by enigma1800
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which City do you want to do Residency in?

  • New York

    Votes: 118 24.8%
  • Chicago

    Votes: 101 21.2%
  • L.A.

    Votes: 70 14.7%
  • Miami

    Votes: 42 8.8%
  • Houston

    Votes: 39 8.2%
  • Boston

    Votes: 79 16.6%
  • Dallas

    Votes: 31 6.5%
  • Philadelphia

    Votes: 42 8.8%
  • Atlanta

    Votes: 32 6.7%
  • Pittsburgh

    Votes: 45 9.5%

  • Total voters
    476
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
[the abbreviation we use if we're not using 'the city' is SF ]
My experience has been that San franciscans refer to their city as "SF" or just San Francisco. I know that some ppl don't like to hear it called "Frisco" and will know you are a tourist if you do.
A few ppl are snobbish, especially if you go into local coffee shops, etc. that are not frequented by tourists. Most people are nice, though, and definitely more laid back than east coast ppl in general.
 
Pretty much a joke without many west coast cities. Someone should re-make this poll without the east coast bias.

OP: "What's you're favorite color in the world? By the way you can only choose yellow, mauve, copper, or pink."

SDN: "ummmmmmmmm those aren't even the main, ummm mauve!"
 
okay, just for fun here, why chicago hands down? Although a world class city, there doesn't seem to be a lot of appealing points there (and trust me I have spent a fair amount of time there) i.e. BAD violence-remember this last summer? totally flat, no ocean access (sure the lake is pretty damn close), cold winters, plus it seemed kind of dirty to me, and the people were sort of rude. Although there is no clear cut winners here, I feel if you like metro go NYC, if you like weather west coast is where it's at...san diego, SF, LA, wow...gorgeous!
 
okay, just for fun here, why chicago hands down? Although a world class city, there doesn't seem to be a lot of appealing points there (and trust me I have spent a fair amount of time there) i.e. BAD violence-remember this last summer? totally flat, no ocean access (sure the lake is pretty damn close), cold winters, plus it seemed kind of dirty to me, and the people were sort of rude. Although there is no clear cut winners here, I feel if you like metro go NYC, if you like weather west coast is where it's at...san diego, SF, LA, wow...gorgeous!

I lived in a great apartment ($850 for my half with my own bathroom and parking) in a great neighborhood (Bucktown) where I had 24 hour access to a train line (blue) that dropped me off on the front doors of rush, cook county or UIC.

I could walk to bars, found the dating scene to be great as far as other young professionals, and world class shopping.

I found people to be insanely nice - half of the city is from Iowa or Michigan it seems.

I used to wander the city drunkenly and often alone, never had any problems. Most of the crime (of course not all) is isolated in the "ghettos", which are easily avoided. I feel like it is cleaner than NYC, because unlike New York, Chicago has alleys for trash.

It's pretty easy to live in Chicago without a car. The winters are surprisingly doable, everyone just buckles down and deals with it.

I'm in LA now and while its fun, if I could get the exact same job back in Chicago I'd be gone in a heartbeat.