Best community hospitals in NJ/NY/PA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to choose some of the better programs with nicer hospitals, more teaching, out of the community hospitals in the NJ/NY/PA area which ones are better? I'm trying to figure out where I should apply as safeties and am using scutwork.com for reviews (a lot of them are older though) so its hard to figure out. Any suggestions on where to look for more info or any ideas of programs that stand out?

Members don't see this ad.

If you would go down to Maryland, Hopkins bayview is an excellent choice. Many call it hopkins with a heart

Members don't see this ad :)
Pennsylvania Hospital in Philly consistently ranks as a popular place to train.

Agreed. Also Albert Einstein Medical Centre in Philadelphia (bad area, great hospital and program director, as well as good residents). I've heard good things about Lankenau, though I have never known anyone from there who has first hand information.

NYC- St Lukes Roosevelt.

Go to the NRMP 2005- 2009 match statistics to see how many categorical residents were accepted at each program in the NJ/NY area over that time frame. Here's the link:

http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresults2005-2009.pdf

This document will tell you approximately how many residents should have been board eligible each year by program.

Then go to this link:

http://www.abim.org/pdf/pass-rates/residency-program-pass-rates.pdf

This document shows the ABIM pass rates by residency program for the years 2006-2008.

It's interesting to see that Coney Island has a pass rate of 100% and Einstein - Beth Israel has a pass rate of 85%

You should screen out all programs with attrition rates higher than 5% and pass rates below 90%. Good luck.

It's interesting to see that Coney Island has a pass rate of 100% and Einstein - Beth Israel has a pass rate of 85%

You should screen out all programs with attrition rates higher than 5% and pass rates below 90%. Good luck.

I agree about the attrition rate, but the board score statistic should be interpreted cautiously. The board pass rate does not necessarily reflect how well the program prepares its residents for the boards. Some of these hospitals are known FMG "mills", where many of the residents were former physicians in their home countries, or they already had 90+ percentile on their USMLEs. Even if you leave these folks alone they will probably do well on the ABIM.

You cited Coney Island and Beth Israel - if I were looking for a community or university-affiliate in the NYC area with good didactics and bedside teaching I'd definitely pick BI over Coney Island, despite the board pass rate.

I agree about the attrition rate, but the board score statistic should be interpreted cautiously. The board pass rate does not necessarily reflect how well the program prepares its residents for the boards. Some of these hospitals are known FMG "mills", where many of the residents were former physicians in their home countries, or they already had 90+ percentile on their USMLEs. Even if you leave these folks alone they will probably do well on the ABIM.

You cited Coney Island and Beth Israel - if I were looking for a community or university-affiliate in the NYC area with good didactics and bedside teaching I'd definitely pick BI over Coney Island, despite the board pass rate.
:thumbup:

If you would go down to Maryland, Hopkins bayview is an excellent choice. Many call it hopkins with a heart

I wholeheartedly second this for categorical as well as prelim years. The leadership at Bayview is genuinely dedicated to the happiness and development of its interns/residents. Some of the attendings are world leaders in a variety of fields within Medicine.

Abington Memorial Hospital is the Philadelphia suburbs in really nice; friendly physicians, beautiful hospital, nice surrounding area. The hospital is all electronic, including progress notes, H/P's, transfer forms, etc, so scut work is minimized.

The PD is a great guy, very approachable and pro-resident; the faculty are excellent, as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that is helpful:)

How about Lankenau Hospital or Crozer-Chester? I'm trying to figure out how to rate the community programs in PA...