Best companies to intern for

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decathrice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new P1, and at the pharmacy school I'm attending, we are already signing up for interviews for summer internships. The problem is that I do not know much about the companies coming to campus to interview. What I'd like to know is what are the best companies to work for? I'm preferably looking for a pharmacy with normal 9-5/6 hours that does a good job at educating their summer interns. I have worked for Safeway before so I know what their conditions are like but I also want to expand and avoid tunnel vision.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a new P1, and at the pharmacy school I'm attending, we are already signing up for interviews for summer internships. The problem is that I do not know much about the companies coming to campus to interview. What I'd like to know is what are the best companies to work for? I'm preferably looking for a pharmacy with normal 9-5/6 hours that does a good job at educating their summer interns. I have worked for Safeway before so I know what their conditions are like but I also want to expand and avoid tunnel vision.

Thanks

What are your options for companies? In the end it depends on your own work ethic and your preceptor.

All of the big chain companies pretty much will be there. So Safeway, Rite Aid, Bimart, Target, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the big chain companies pretty much will be there. So Safeway, Rite Aid, Bimart, Target, etc

So far I got it narrowed down to 3 internships that I'm gonna apply for. 2 are drug information and the third one is some other special area of pharmacy that I'm not gonna reveal (since that is my first choice and I don't want other people applying). Gonna apply for my first drug information one within the next month, and the other 2 sometime between thanksgiving and February. Don't want to do retail in the summer. Already getting enough "retail therapy" from working at Rite Aid during the school year.

And yes, I'm a P1 as well

Albertson's has a nicely organized summer internship.

OP has to be in Oregon or Washington. Bimart is a NW chain. I guess Idaho is a possibility since there is a company stores there too.

Has anyone here applied for the GSK summer internship? I don't know if they allow P-1/P-2's or prefer upper year students, couldn't find anything online.

Walgreens has a nice internship program. I went to Phoenix and I would recommend it. They provide housing (in pretty nice condos). The schedule depends a little on your pharmacy manager, but I worked 9-5:30 most days. At least once a week, we did something outside of the pharmacy - tours, meetings, etc. We toured the mail order facility, compounding pharmacies, clinic pharmacies, home health care center, had an HIV and diabetes information session, etc. You could also do various projects like health fairs and information sessions on your own.

There are other areas of the country with housing provided, but even if not, most of the larger cities will have some sort of internship program.

Walgreens is wildly variable from region to region. Talk to some of your classmates to get a feel for it. I had a good experience there, but it was stressful and I'd never go to work for them in Colorado again.

Savon last summer was fantastic. They are low volume pharmacies generally with a good bunch of patients. I really liked it a lot.

How about a hospital internship for the summer, if you're really into expanding your horizons?