Wegovy shown to cut risk of stroke and heart attacks, company says

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Not peer-reviewed yet but pretty long study (5 years). We will get more data sometime this year. We don’t know if these heart benefits are due to weight loss effect or there are some other factors at play.

This can be a game-changer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We have had some impressive advancements in biotech recently. SGLT2 inhibitors reduce risk of - hospitalization for heart failure - cardiovascular death - kidney failure - all cause mortality In diabetes, HFrEF and proteinuric CKD.

In HFpEF and non proteinuric CKD they still reduce - hospitalization for heart failure - slow CKD progression.

These are huge effects. Bigger than statins IMO.

GLP1RAs are not far behind and maybe ahead - given weight loss effect in a safe manner.

All these articles are coming out about crazy side effects like gastroparesis, vomiting, diarrhea but *******es don't realize THAT'S HOW IT MAKES YOU ****ING LOSE WEIGHT. If you continue your same ****ty eating habits, you will experience gastroparesis, vomiting and diarrhea and heartburn and you're gonna go a few days not consuming anything but Gatorade or yogurt. Either that, or learn to control your portions and switch to easily digestible foods so you don't end up with gastroparesis.

I think a lot of people start this drug and think with works through some thermogenic mechanism of burning fat cells.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
People really don't realize that the drug is making them loose weight through the ONLY way one can loose weight - by creating a caloric deficit by reducing appetite/slowing digestion, etc

If this can show positive health outcomes beyond just weight loss, what are the chances insurance starts covering it? It might become the most prescribed medication in America at that point.

People really don't realize that the drug is making them loose weight through the ONLY way one can loose weight - by creating a caloric deficit by reducing appetite/slowing digestion, etc

They figured out a long time ago that energy can't be created or destroyed. But people perpetually think they can break the laws of thermodynamics with drugs.

Reactions: 2 users
Being in two different regions, this meds been on short supply off/on for the past 18 months (Ozempic). Right now, we've been instructed to go no further than 0.5 mg weekly (if well tolerated, the more seasoned patients are being told to use 1mg every other week). Not sure when we'll get the green-light to start new patients on this again...

Between this and empagliflozin for diabetes (with obesity), the CVD/CKD benefits is not a myth (even for those patients lying about the severe diarrhea/nausea component they get).

Retinopathy has been a leading issue though...

I'm curious how much of the effect is simply just losing weight.

But whatever, if this drug can help people lose weight and get some health benefits, it's a net societal good.

Until the inevitable discovery of some terrible long-term side effect which has been a feature of most post-1996 releases.

Reactions: 2 users
As everyone said, the cardiac benefits with Wegovy are in line with weight loss, AND better eating habits, AND exercise that all go hand in hand with efforts for weight loss plan.
The drug manufacturers are loving, and often funding, these studies that increase sales.

On an unrelated note, PAINKILLER on Netflix, about Oxycontin, Purdue, and the Sackler Family, is must see TV.

On an unrelated note, PAINKILLER on Netflix, about Oxycontin, Purdue, and the Sackler Family, is must see TV.
Coworkers have been telling me to watch it for weeks now. I finally caved and ended up binging the first 4 episodes this weekend.

I'm curious how much of the effect is simply just losing weight.

But whatever, if this drug can help people lose weight and get some health benefits, it's a net societal good.

Until the inevitable discovery of some terrible long-term side effect which has been a feature of most post-1996 releases.
Yeah I am just waiting for the lawyer commercials. “Did you or someone you know…”