Best Comprehensive USMLE Step 2 CK Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMGUSMLEStep1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK

USMLE Step 2 Secrets

Step-Up to USMLE Step 2

Crush Step 2: The Ultimate USMLE Step 2 Review

Kaplan Medical USMLE Master the Boards Step 2 CK

Step-Up to Medicine

Other (please specify)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MTB 3 adds a little more to management along with some extras here and there and a few extra images. If you do MTB 2, then MTB 3 will seem very familiar in context with the additions that you can easily pick up. I've only done 2 chapters in it so far, so that's just my opinion from what I see so far.

Would it make sense to just review MTB3 then since it has all the extra information or are they that different that you would miss out on a lot of highly tested Step 2 material

Am I the only one who finds it difficult to learn board-style material from these types of review books? Primarily "the next best step." A lot of these books will just list a number of tests you can run to help diagnose, but they aren't particularly helpful when it comes to the boards. I find UWorld to be much, much better in helping me figure out the exact way to work through a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a general all clerkship review book, which to go with?

FA for Step 2 CK, Step up to Step 2, or Step 2 Secrets?

I'd recommend getting Secrets regardless of what you choose as your comprehensive CK book. It's great to carry around while on rotations since it's portable and you can still learn something when there's downtime.

As for my main book I went with FA CK.

It seems like a lot of these books haven't been updated in years, unlike the year-to-year killing that FA Step 1 makes by re-updating.

Step Up to Step 2 appears to be the best according to this poll?

Also, it appears Secrets is more of a Q&A format book as opposed to a concise review?

Reactions: 1 user
Do MTB 2 and 3 have a lot of different material or are they overly redundant? I'm just wondering if MTB3 has enough extra material to justify the time spent reading it.

It really depends on what chapter you're reading. Like GIT chapters are almost identical, but when you read another like infectious, you find new questions and more information scattered here and there. But according to others doing MTB 3... they purchase this one for the purpose of doing the non-IM subjects since those are better covered in MTB 3 than MTB 2. As for IM..you will definitely see a lot of overlap. I haven't done the other subjects though. My hope is that UW will fill in the gaps of the MTBs...I just didn't like SUTS2 to be honest. Tables are nice though.

Oh ..one thing I wanna add is.. you can cover IM in MTB2 and if you already have FA then you can cover the other subjects there..that is if you are already have FA and don't want to purchase another book. ..bec I've heard that some do that as well. Hope this helps.

The current books, such as First Aid's Step 2 CK book, are at least a few years old. They don't even include DSM-V criteria!