Best Counseling Psych MA Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a decent MA (or M.Ed.) program in Counseling Psych, in the midwest, southeast, or northeast (preferably the first 2.) I understand that quality has much to do with personal fit. I am interested in psychotherapy, and group therapy. College counseling or private practice. Less research emphasis (thought some is nice) and more on theory of different therapy modalities.

I've done extensive research on the internet, but think it would be helpful if anyone could shed light on some programs that they have attended or heard good things about.

I also know a lot about licensing issues and differences between various degrees. In this case, would just love to hear some specifics about decent programs.

Many thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know what theoretical orientation you are more geared toward? If you're going to invest the time and energy into a clinically oriented graduate program, make sure you enjoy your experience. In addition to taking suggestions from members here, I would also pick up this guide; it's called something like 'The Guide to Psychology Graduate School' or something, and has a list of all the programs and their pros/cons.