Best Dog Breed for Busy Medders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Donkey

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about getting a pooch pal for medical school, but what dog breed fits me best, I wonder, hmmm?

Intelligence, loyality/protectiveness, easy maitenance (brushing/bathing 4 times a month or less), no serious health problems (bad hips, stinky breath, etc.), and not super-active (I'll exercise it at least once a day, twice at the most, needs to be okay with college-size house) are all key features.

I was thinking about a medium sized terrier (esp. a Welsh terrier) or a beagle. I heard beagles were kindof dumb though, which would be a nixer for me. Anyone has any totally sweet ideas of awesome dogs for med school? What dog do you have that has worked out very well? Also, to address this since it will probably come up, even though it's in all ways wiser to get a grown dog, I'm getting a puppy (for the lady friend, you know).

BTW I will be attending a suburban school with significant areas to roam.

Members don't see this ad.

Basenjis. My roomie has one and I'm seriously considering stealing it. :love:

:laugh: "African barkless dog." I don't know about that one. How's it going to intimidate my friends if it can't bark??? Maybe it's a teddy roosevelt type and carries a big stick.

EvoDevo said:
Basenjis. My roomie has one and I'm seriously considering stealing it. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
It does bark, sometimes. BUT! It yodels at you instead! :love:

ben_g.jpg

Just don't get a Springer Spaniel. I love my dog to death, she's irreplaceable but they're a pretty strung out breed...
I was told when we got her that they don't become mature enough to be calm dogs until they're 7 yrs old. Mine's almost 8 and I'm still waiting...
Lots of energy, very demanding, very very cute but a little strung out.
I'm not necessarily a cat person, but I recommend a cat anyway, much less demanding. And when it sits on your lap while you study, it might actually be welcome (unlike Emma, who at 50 pounds is not particularly conducive to studying).

My mom waits till I'm going to med school to play the "well she's your dog...you should keep her" card. Could be an interesting four years, I hope she doesn't go too nuts with boredom!

Dr. Donkey said:
I am seriously thinking about getting a pooch pal for medical school, but what dog breed fits me best, I wonder, hmmm?

Intelligence, loyality/protectiveness, easy maitenance (brushing/bathing 4 times a month or less), no serious health problems (bad hips, stinky breath, etc.), and not super-active (I'll exercise it at least once a day, twice at the most, needs to be okay with college-size house) are all key features.

I was thinking about a medium sized terrier (esp. a Welsh terrier) or a beagle. I heard beagles were kindof dumb though, which would be a nixer for me. Anyone has any totally sweet ideas of awesome dogs for med school? What dog do you have that has worked out very well? Also, to address this since it will probably come up, even though it's in all ways wiser to get a grown dog, I'm getting a puppy (for the lady friend, you know).

Sounds like you need a cat.

Consider an older dog that needs a home... plenty of them at petfinder.org

An older dog will already show the kind of personality it will continue to have, whereas a puppy develops personality.

Purebreds are more prone to various genetic disorders.

Dogs are social animals (think of how they evolved- from wolves, which are almost always in packs that have a distinct social structure) & generally don't do well w/ alot of isolation.... that's why I've always had more than one at a time. Their needs for social interaction sort of vary. The younger they are, the more they need interaction, just like humans.

Beagles are on the very VERY social end of the spectrum, whereas, an AKita, Great Danes, schnauzers are generally more aloof and won't mind isolation as much....

Don't forget the cost of regular vet care & preventative meds. There are cheap & expensive ways to do this. If you get a puppy, know that there is a destructive phase, esp when their bored/teething, kinda like humans.

And there might be accidents or other situations that would be very expesive to treat. I had a foster dog that dug out from under the fence, got hit by a car & racked up a $3000+ bill- icu, ortho surgery & all the labs, xrays, meds....think of what an itemized human surgery/hospital bill would look like- same thing)

Dr. Donkey said:

My first b-day present was 2 beagles. They are the sweetest, most loyal dogs imaginable. They aren't necessarily dumb, although one of my beagles wasn't especially bright, the other one was quite intelligent. They are somewhat difficult to train and need lots of company. If the lady friend will be needing company while you study, they are more affectionate than labs. Plus, they still look like puppies when they are 14 years old!

For nearly any pooch, if you can afford it, two are better because they keep eachother company and don't tear up your house out of sheer loneliness. Many bad dog behaviors are caused by loneliness. As a result, the care of two puppies can be easier rather than more difficult than one.

Hip problems are usually detectable in puppies and many puppies come with their hips certified. Any purebreed dog will be predisposed to something. I think the main problem with beagles is a predisposition for cancer, but one of mine lived to be 14.

Note that Beagles howl rather than bark. I love it, but some find it drives them insane.

If you search online, many pet website, esp for shelters, will have little pet-matching surveys.

I have one (got him at the Humane Society when he was less than a year old), and I think he will be the perfect med school companion because:

1) He has short hair and doesn't shed too much (I hate to vacuum).
2) He doesn't bark very often, but when he does it is because something is sketchy and he is very intimidating.
3) He runs around like crazy at the dog park, and is probably one of the fastest dogs I have ever seen (which makes me proud), but then comes home and sleeps for the next 23 hours. He really is never hyper, even when he was a puppy, he wasn't crzay if I let him run once per day.

Downside, they are really big and eat a lot of food and Pete doesn't like children which is why he was given away in the first place. They are also expensive unless you get a rescue dog (they have purebred puppies sometimes if you check the rhodesian ridgeback rescue website) Still, they are great dogs and really pretty, plus they were bred for lion hunting in africa, How cool is that?

Thanks for all the good advice.

I don't think I want a cat since I've already had one for so long (parents). I think I would rather have an animal I can be a little more active with. Plus, if I go to the school that has accepted me (on waitlists too), it's my undergrad, and I hope I would have enough people around to play with it and such when I'm not there.

http://www.petfinder.com/

I'm not too keen on purchasing animals from pet stores as their "merchandise" usually comes from puppy mills . Aside from the ethical issues, they tend to have more problems... this was told to me by a few DVM residents who see many of these cases at their hospitals.
Dr. Donkey said:
IIntelligence
poodles (mini- to giant; avoid teacups - bizzare genetic disorders due to breeding)
schnauzers?
Border Collies (but they need LOTS of interaction or they will get into trouble.... I watched one sneak out of a picket fence & it turned around & put the picket back in place).
Shepherds (hate isolation, sheds)
Akitas (sheds)
German Shorthaired Pointers (super high energy)
Dr. Donkey said:
loyality/protectiveness
Females in general are more loyal than males...They don't have the innate drive to "sow oats"
Basically anything originally bred for herding & some in the working group.
Akitas
Ger Shepherds
Rotties
NOT retrievers
Dr. Donkey said:
easy maitenance (brushing/bathing 4 times a month or less)
anything wirehaired (ie wheaton terriers)

Dr. Donkey said:
no serious health problems (bad hips, stinky breath, etc.)
MUTTS!!
stinky breath comes w/ age... just as people in mid life start having gum issues
my dogs are at the age where they should be annual professional cleanings (requires intubation= $$)
Dr. Donkey said:
not super-active (I'll exercise it at least once a day, twice
Believe it or not, Great Dane.
anything older than 3-4 yo.

Yeah, I hope you weren't considering getting a young pup or a puppy. They're cute, but they really need a lot of emotional support and training - which it doesn't sound like you're going to be able to do.

Maybe the answer for you is to find a roommate who has a dog, who will let you be part owner - when you have time - and you can share the responsibility. Dogs are pretty loyal to whoever doles out the treats, so you shouldn't have any problem winning them over.

Otherwise, an older dog who sleeps alot might be the one for you. Or, if you get an outside dog, it will make things much easier on them for potty breaks. But you could always do what I did and get 2, they entertain each other, and sometimes barely notice I'm gone. Walking them is always a fun way to start and end the day. Good luck.

you should think about adopting a greyhound from a greyhound rescue. they are already trained and housebroken and are very mellow. they just need about 15 mins of excercise a day. since they have short hair grooming shouldn't be a problem.

Dr. Donkey said:

I have two shih-tzus and they are wonderful. They don't shed, don't really bark at anything, and are small enough that they don't need that much room around the house or get into too much trouble. They are fairly easy for maintenance if you keep their fur short, but that requires going to the groomer every five weeks, which might be a problem. They haven't had health problems until recently, but the older one is 12 and the younger one is going to be 9 so they are getting up there in age. They are quite loyal and like to cuddle if you're sitting around watching tv or studying, and are considered one of the best breeds to have if you have allergies since they have virtually no dog dander.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an Old English mastiff...best dog I ever had. Basically didn't bark, slept all day, went on short walks. Slow metabolism, so food (40lb. bag of Eukanuba or Iams) lasted for about a month...not bad! So gentle, good natured...great with kids and best of all: didn't chase after squirrels or wayward animals that would cross our path on daily walks.

The flipside is that maintenance can be expensive: you have to pay by the pound for medication, so routine vaccinations that would cost $20 for a small breed will cost you upwards of $100.

I have to agree with the get a "roommate with a dog" suggestion. Dogs live 10-15 years. Over that time, you will be spending an increasing amount of time away from home. You will be doing your residency (love those long, long shifts) and probably moving away from your support system to do that. Who is going to feed the dog and take it outside to pee when you're at the hospital for 36 hours at a time? After residency, you'll be building a practice. Again, lots of time away from home.

I know you love dogs, but I just don't see you in a position to responsibly care for a dog over its lifetime. There are 20 million dogs euthanized in US animal shelters ever year because their owners "no longer have time for them" or "were moving." Harsh, but there it is.

I'm obsessed with my (family's) two pugs. I'm going to see how the first year goes then possibly get one myself. They are social but like to cuddle a bunch. They don't need professionally grooming. We usually walk them a mile in the morning and again in the afternoon evening, besides typically potty breaks. They are also great in smaller places since they are under 20 pounds (they have a tendency to get fat if you let them though!)

a lot of the terrier breeds are low shedding and great for protection also. They are ok in small living but need to get exercise. some of them with the wiry coats need very little bathing & grooming.

Kerry Blue Terrier
airedale terriers
black russian terrier
English bull terrier
Pit Bulls are terriers
Lakeland terrier
manchester terrier
Poodles are also good, not miniature poodles, the real ones
Welsh Terrier

All are great watchdogs, and some are very good as gaurd dogs also. All terriers are very loving of family and suspicious of strangers. They were bred to fight a long time ago, but will still not back down if challenged by another dog. A lot of them are great with kids

i would definately not get an akita. too big and you'll have to be the boss. how are you going to do that when you're away at school? of course id love to have one, they're really great.

Miniature pinscher

I have an American Pit Bull Terrior. He is the sweetest dog and the biggest wimp I've ever met. However at 65 Lbs. and ripped he is pretty intimidating to a stranger (I run him a lot...well maybe he runs me a lot). He has never done one thing wrong twice. He is very smart and very obedient. If it weren't for all the leash laws in atlanta I could walk him without one no worries whatsoever. I used to love golden's but I will never get anything but a pit from now on. They are low maintenance, short haired dogs. They don't smell and no one...NO ONE will break into your house because of the false stigma that they have that they are very people aggressive. the only problem I could forsee with your situation is that they are very active dogs. Good Luck

I totally agree with you. I actually was around all the time with a friend who had a puppy and I know how much work it is. It's not like I'm going to run off and get a dog without making sure I have a backup plan. If neccessary, I would need to be able to leave it with friends or my family when I get into the 36 hour straight routine. Speaking of which, doesn't it suck how much you have to compromise to be a doctor. Already in undergrad we all made concessions in our lives for our choosen career path, not being able to go abroad b/c of research/ecs/class, having to stay on our toes and get a meaningful (and time consuming) job after graduation, and NOW not having a good situation to get a dog in. Still, I don't regret it, but it's crazy how that responsibility sneeks up on you!

ursulamajor said:
I have to agree with the get a "roommate with a dog" suggestion. Dogs live 10-15 years. Over that time, you will be spending an increasing amount of time away from home. You will be doing your residency (love those long, long shifts) and probably moving away from your support system to do that. Who is going to feed the dog and take it outside to pee when you're at the hospital for 36 hours at a time? After residency, you'll be building a practice. Again, lots of time away from home.

I know you love dogs, but I just don't see you in a position to responsibly care for a dog over its lifetime. There are 20 million dogs euthanized in US animal shelters ever year because their owners "no longer have time for them" or "were moving." Harsh, but there it is.

I have a welsh corgi that is great. They are medium sized dogs, but apartments don't scoff at them because they are so short. However, I would not buy another dog again until after school was over. It is not the time as I enjoy the walking but the expense of vet/food/etc.
I also have a betta (fish) that is the easiest pet I have ever owned.

Don't forget that during residency, you WON'T be exercising the dog once or twice a day. It's simply not possible when you're working 24 hour shifts, every other day.

EvoDevo said:
It does bark, sometimes. BUT! It yodels at you instead! :love:

ben_g.jpg

i got one of these dogs right before my step mom died. We spent a lot of time in the hospital the last month or so and he did not take the long hours home along very well at all. He would chew tolietpaper and get into the garbage. He never really would obey us and always seemed to have some of the "wild" left in him. Like one time, i walked up to him and he bit me. Apparently, he was guarding a bird that he had killed or found. He was fast enough to jump and kill birds, like robins and blue jays, etc.

Also, this dog requires a lot of exercise. We lived on a farm and he loved to run free... he could run as fast as deer... i saw it. He loved to chase things... and had endless energy. he was even hit by a car... right on the head. lol. We heard the car hit him from about 200 yards away. He spent about 2 weeks at the vets.

"Hard headed" describes him to a tee. He was pretty smart though. If we told him we were going to go to a particular area of our property (200 acers), we would lead us there on the walk (i.e. the swamp, weazel island (not an actual island), the woods, the pines, the east fence, etc). We moved into town after my step mom died and my dad gave him away when i went on to college. He wasn't happy in town.

I know this seems anedotal, but I think these characteristics are pretty much characeteristic of the breed: hard-headed, lots of energy, some "wild" left in them, and do not like to be left alone. I would not recommend one for in the city, but you should probably do your own research.

Awful story about pitbulls: acquitance of a friend got a pitbull puppy and the awful bastard hung weights around its neck since puppydom to make it strong. As an adult dog, the guy apparently put a tire around his neck. What a piece of ****e. Glad I don't know him.

I've also heard rumors that pitbulls can flip out out of nowhere and attack another dog or a kid. I know two people with pitbulls who had to put theirs down because they mauled another person's dog. And these pitbulls were sweet too, not at all trained to fight or anything.

JCoyote1 said:
I have an American Pit Bull Terrior. He is the sweetest dog and the biggest wimp I've ever met. However at 65 Lbs. and ripped he is pretty intimidating to a stranger (I run him a lot...well maybe he runs me a lot). He has never done one thing wrong twice. He is very smart and very obedient. If it weren't for all the leash laws in atlanta I could walk him without one no worries whatsoever. I used to love golden's but I will never get anything but a pit from now on. They are low maintenance, short haired dogs. They don't smell and no one...NO ONE will break into your house because of the false stigma that they have that they are very people aggressive. the only problem I could forsee with your situation is that they are very active dogs. Good Luck

Pugs are awesome and have funny personalities, but I heard they snore like a sonnavabitch.

16hoursleeper said:
I'm obsessed with my (family's) two pugs. I'm going to see how the first year goes then possibly get one myself. They are social but like to cuddle a bunch. They don't need professionally grooming. We usually walk them a mile in the morning and again in the afternoon evening, besides typically potty breaks. They are also great in smaller places since they are under 20 pounds (they have a tendency to get fat if you let them though!)

I'm looking hard at the Welsh terrier. Seems like a good dog overall.

Steiner said:
a lot of the terrier breeds are low shedding and great for protection also. They are ok in small living but need to get exercise. some of them with the wiry coats need very little bathing & grooming.

fun8stuff said:
i got one of these dogs right before my step mom died. We spent a lot of time in the hospital the last month or so and he did not take the long hours home along very well at all. He would chew tolietpaper and get into the garbage. He never really would obey us and always seemed to have some of the "wild" left in him. Like one time, i walked up to him and he bit me. Apparently, he was guarding a bird that he had killed or found. He was fast enough to jump and kill birds, like robins and blue jays, etc.

Also, this dog requires a lot of exercise. We lived on a farm and he loved to run free... he could run as fast as deer... i saw it. He loved to chase things... and had endless energy. he was even hit by a car... right on the head. lol. We heard the car hit him from about 200 yards away. He spent about 2 weeks at the vets.

"Hard headed" describes him to a tee. He was pretty smart though. If we told him we were going to go to a particular area of our property (200 acers), we would lead us there on the walk (i.e. the swamp, weazel island (not an actual island), the woods, the pines, the east fence, etc). We moved into town after my step mom died and my dad gave him away when i went on to college. He wasn't happy in town.

I know this seems anedotal, but I think these characteristics are pretty much characeteristic of the breed: hard-headed, lots of energy, some "wild" left in them, and do not like to be left alone. I would not recommend one for in the city, but you should probably do your own research.

This kinda reminds me of a dog my uncle once had. I dunno what the other half was, but he was half wolf. Basically he had so much the wolf in him that he was hard to control. My uncle had like six dogs and Tucker(half wolf) led the pack. It's too bad that the pack took him out when Tucker had a bad hip or something. Beautiful dog.

I agree with the posters who have mentioned that it's going to be difficult to take care of a dog with everything else going on. If you still decide to get one, you should make sure you have plans in place for what you'll do when you have to be gone a long time--maybe hire a (responsible) local teenager to take the dog out for a potty break and play with it etc. I have also heard of people training small dogs to use a litter box like a cat. As far as suggestions for a breed, one that I thought of that may meet your criteria would be the smooth collie. I don't think the activity level is as high as a lot of the herding breeds, and they're smart, loyal and have a low-maintenance coat (unlike the rough variety which is the one everyone thinks of when they think of a collie). And I would recommend adopting an adult from a shelter or rescue organization since a puppy would be a bad idea in your situation--they require a lot of supervision. By the way, don't confuse this breed with the border collie--there's quite a difference. A border collie would NOT be a good breed for your situation-- from everything I've heard they are extremely active and get bored very easily, and then get into mischief in a big way.

I would also recommend a pitbull. I have a 4 year old female who is extremely nice. She is a great watchdog, but at the same time is excellent with my 6 month old son. Low maintenance, very loving, protective, will be as active or inactive as you want them to be. My female is very smart, and pitbulls by nature always aim to please their owner.

no problems here or any of my other friends. You are correct that they can be dog aggressive. It's in their breed. I take mine to doggy daycare every day and he is fine with all other dogs. you just have to be smart about it. There are certain things you have to look out for with this breed but a responsible owner will have no problems. Just like with any other breed of dog they should be researched before buying that way you know what you are getting yourself into.

Like I said, my dog has had no problems whatsoever. However, I still bring a break stick with me to the dog park just in case (break stick = a small triangular piece of wood that is lodged into the dogs mouth to break his grip). I read somewhere that someone raised two dogs from birth, male and female which is the best way to raise 2 dogs, and came home one day 3 years later to find one of the dogs dead. They had gotten into a fight with no one to break it up. The owner was being irresponsible leaving them together alone at home.

So I agree that there are problems with the breed, as with any breed, but I love them nonetheless and will continue to be a big supporter and advocate of the breed. and when I say educate yourself on the breed, reading the mindless propoganda in the news is not educating yourself. go buy a book at barnes and noble on the breed. Besides if you read into all of the maulings that the media talks about it is usually almost always the owners fault. i.e. beating their dogs, fighting their dogs, abusing their dogs, neglecting their dogs...

funny story...went to pet smart the other day and a family of four swarmed my dog (not a good idea for any kind of dog by the way) and were hugging and petting him and saying good doggie, blah blah blah. when the mother asked me what kind of dog this cute thing was (I did not cut his tail or ears as most people do so It doesn't look like the stereotypical pit) I replied it was a pit bull and she freaked out and grabbed her kids up and ran away screaming. I just looked at my dog and laughed at how ignorant she was. This dog was just licking your children and allowing himself to be manhandled and she was scared because of his reputation.

just my 2 cents
and as always educate yourself before making a remark about a subject you might not know the whole story about.

The dog you want is my dog Scooter...he's a mutt -- half poodle, half yorkshire terrier and strongly resembles a teddy bear. Best dog ever...loyal, chill, happy, cute, healthy, doesn't bark or shed, etc...He's awesome because he's not a sissy dog and he's not hyper...he's cool with letting me read on the couch while he rests his head on my thigh...Ohh, man, I want to go home to my dog now. :love:

beagles howl, as another poster pointed out, but a terrier might be the way to go...Most breeds have the ability to be good dogs...the secret is training (i.e. discipline the barking earlier, socialize your pet with other dogs, don't let your dog become your boss, etc.)

Dr. Donkey said:

superdavykinz said:
This kinda reminds me of a dog my uncle once had. I dunno what the other half was, but he was half wolf. Basically he had so much the wolf in him that he was hard to control. My uncle had like six dogs and Tucker(half wolf) led the pack. It's too bad that the pack took him out when Tucker had a bad hip or something. Beautiful dog.

well, it wasn't that he (the basenji) was terribly mean... he only bit me that once, but he more of like a terrible 2 year old. He would throw tantrums quite a bit. Like, he would pick random times to just run into the bathroom or garbage and grab kleenex. Or he would growl at you for no reason. But, the other part of the time he would sleep on your lap and be really friendly. It was almost like he wanted all of your attention 100% of the time. And then, every once in awhile you would get a glimpse of the wild in him.

Hi there,
I have two beagles that I rescued from the pound when I was a first-year medical student. They are good watch dogs but there are a couple of problems. First, what are you going to do with your dog (s) when you are in the hospital for overnight call and away rotations? I have a fiance that lives with me and walks the dogs but they really do not like to be left alone.

Second, many apartments will not allow any dogs bigger than 75 pounds and most will not allow pit bulls, rotties or german shepherds because of the aggressive nature of these breeds. My two are now seven years old and sleep most of the day and night.

My colleagues have good luck with Pomeranians and poodles. The labs seem to need more room to run and exercise.

If I didn't have my fiance to take care of the mutts when I am on away rotations and overnight call, I would not be able to have the dogs.

Good luck
njbmd :)

beagles are far from dumb, though they arent dog geniuses either.

i support the great dane or the mastif ideas, great dogs and lovely for apartments. they most accurately fit your profile of what your looking for, except you seem to be looking for something a bit smaller.

i discourage the pitbull (no, they are not bad, thats mostly myth and that they are physically more capable of inflicting harm when they do get pissed, as all breeds have their bad ones here and there) and the basenji.

be careful in choosing a terrier, some are extremely active and needy, little dogs mostly are in general. youre gonna have a tough time finding a small dog that fits your criteria. terriers are hardier than most small dog types, but they have more than enough problems of their own.

if you gave some more ideas of what your looking for i could give you some real suggestions.

get a bulldog if you want to laugh all day long. only downside is they snore like a 400 lb trucker.

get a rottweiler or a doberman. maybe one of each.

Personally, I love golden retrievers.

I have a golden retriever/smooth coat collie mix. This dog could teach your kids calculus. Okay, not really, but she's an awesome dog - easily trained, affectionate, likes people, children, and other dogs. The downside is that she sheds (easier to clean than short hair fur though) and this particular dog has an affinity for mud. She's ~70-80lbs.

I also have a smaller golden ~48lbs who is nearly full grown (age 1yr). There are runt golden retrievers out there. He is unusually attentive/people oriented and sheds very little. If I wasn't so attached to my first dog, I'd probably bring him to med school w/ me. He's ideal for an apartment. He doesn't seem to need a lot of exercise and likes sleeping at or on your feet.

While retrievers are suppossedly not protective. Both dogs have growled and shown defensiveness towards myself as well as my mother when they felt we were being threatened by other dogs or people. Something I'm very thankful for.

I will have to give a big thumbs down to :thumbdown:

1) wolf hybrids
2) pit bulls
3) Chow Chows (and mixes of chows)

1) Wolf hybrids are not good dogs to own. I won't even get into that. They are banned/illegal in many states.

2) People can swear what nice pits they have. I go to a dog park 3x / week. The most common dogs that have aggression issues are pit bulls. When rescuing a dog, you have no idea what their parents are like or their background in general. This means you may be adopting a dog that was bred solely to fight (or worse has been in fights). Most people, despite their egos or good-intentions, are not great dog owners.

I would also say chows are a bad idea as I have seen a much higher than normal tendency for these dogs (even mixes of these dogs to show aggression). Jobs are bred with certain traits/characteristics in mind... while people can go on and on about how wonderful x breed is... you have to realize that aggression/territoriality are considered "good things" by some people.

This isn't to say I dislike pits, quite the contrary, but if you don't know the blood lines then pass.

A miniature dachshund. They are very low maintenace, love to snuggle, very smart, and don't bark a lot. And, being little, have little poops to pick up in the backyard.

I just :love: :love: :love: my dachsie!!!!!! (and they like to sleep under the covers in bed with you. Only dog I ever knew that actually LIKED to be covered up.) Not over-active, likes his kennel (actually goes in there when i pick up my keys and sits in it with the door open waiting for me to be ready to leave), very neat, never chewed any of my belongings (except an occasional kleenex), and very watchful of what goes on around my house.

I'd have a whole herd of dachshunds!

a shiba inu may be a good choice. that's what i hope to get next! right now i have a very sweet little papillon who was treated poorly by her previous owner... one note about rescue dogs - if you decide to go that way, i think it's great, but training can be a bit of an issue. the breeder who i got my dog from (she took the dog back from the previous owner) assured me that the dog was completely housebroken. she was 5 when i got her and, well, she's not exactly perfect in that regard and, being older, is a bit set in her bad habits, though she does try (sometimes)... shiba inus are known for being meticulously clean. they are medium sized with short hair. they are also very sweet. they're really cute as puppies too!

:love: Cairn Terrier!!!

and/or Westies :)