Best gap year choice for DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foodie08

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying this upcoming cycle but not sure what I should do during this second gap year. please help!

Worried I lack clinical experience in numbers, the experience I do have is incredible and I have a lot to say about it!

I have interview offers with Scribe America - not super flexible hours, not the most enthusiastic about this one but if it would really add to my experiences I would do it - not a fast typer, at all, worried I won't be able to keep up with it

I have an offer for clinical research that I am actually super interested in and enjoy the area of research - serves the patient population I hope to serve one day - I really enjoy working with patients/educating them - at my top ranked med school - something I'm passionate about

I may have the option for an Americorps position depending on how the interview goes. - working with the community I hope to serve - very involved and I've always wanted to do an Americorp gig - very passionate about education.

long story short - would I benefit from taking the scribe position?? Or should I do something I'm really passionate about?

Here are my current ECs:

Research – 2 clinical research projects, 400 hours each, 1 poster presentation, some patient contact. (8-10 hrs/week)

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: Free Health Clinic - 250 hrs by application time (4 hrs/week) Mental Health Clinic - 30 hrs

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties MD: Neurologist (40 hrs), Internist (20 hrs), Pediatrics (6 hrs), OBGYN: 5 DO: Pediatric Neurologist (20 hrs) PMR 28

Non-clinical volunteering: Cooking Class Assistant/Nutritional Aid - 50 hrs Mentor to underserved high school students (30 hours - 2hrs/week) Director of Marketing, Volunteer Org + Volunteer (100 hrs- 2 hrs/week) ESL type Tutor for elderly in my community - created and ran the class from home (250 hrs, 4/week) - 2 summers

Extracurricular activities Pre Health Student Mentor (2hr/week) via 2 different programs Executive Director of Student Org (5hrs/week) **restarted this org on campus (400ish hours) Dance Team Member - 300 hours (over 2 years)

Employment history Cashier at family owned store 600+ hrs Student Office Assistant (1 summer) 200 hrs Tutor (1 summer) - 150 hrs

Members don't see this ad.

Applying this upcoming cycle but not sure what I should do during this second gap year. please help!

Worried I lack clinical experience in numbers, the experience I do have is incredible and I have a lot to say about it!

I have interview offers with Scribe America - not super flexible hours, not the most enthusiastic about this one but if it would really add to my experiences I would do it - not a fast typer, at all, worried I won't be able to keep up with it

I have an offer for clinical research that I am actually super interested in and enjoy the area of research - serves the patient population I hope to serve one day - I really enjoy working with patients/educating them - at my top ranked med school - something I'm passionate about

I may have the option for an Americorps position depending on how the interview goes. - working with the community I hope to serve - very involved and I've always wanted to do an Americorp gig - very passionate about education.

long story short - would I benefit from taking the scribe position?? Or should I do something I'm really passionate about?

Here are my current ECs:

Research – 2 clinical research projects, 400 hours each, 1 poster presentation, some patient contact. (8-10 hrs/week)

Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: Free Health Clinic - 250 hrs by application time (4 hrs/week) Mental Health Clinic - 30 hrs

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties MD: Neurologist (40 hrs), Internist (20 hrs), Pediatrics (6 hrs), OBGYN: 5 DO: Pediatric Neurologist (20 hrs) PMR 28

Non-clinical volunteering: Cooking Class Assistant/Nutritional Aid - 50 hrs Mentor to underserved high school students (30 hours - 2hrs/week) Director of Marketing, Volunteer Org + Volunteer (100 hrs- 2 hrs/week) ESL type Tutor for elderly in my community - created and ran the class from home (250 hrs, 4/week) - 2 summers

Extracurricular activities Pre Health Student Mentor (2hr/week) via 2 different programs Executive Director of Student Org (5hrs/week) **restarted this org on campus (400ish hours) Dance Team Member - 300 hours (over 2 years)

Employment history Cashier at family owned store 600+ hrs Student Office Assistant (1 summer) 200 hrs Tutor (1 summer) - 150 hrs
Honestly to me it seems like you have a ton of ECs...are your grades/MCAT okay?...

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly to me it seems like you have a ton of ECs...are your grades/MCAT okay?...

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE

I am currently in an SMP to fix that situation. I've been doing well and have had a strong upward trend.
I struggled a lot in undergrad, completely restructured how I studied and am doing much better.

How do these stats look for DO schools?
506 MCAT, 3.1 sgpa (with postbacc) 3.3 cGPA 3.7+ SMP (20cred) (potentially higher by application time)

Not sure what DO schools I'm qualified for, any suggestions?

If you continue your performance in the SMP you should be good for most DO schools and maybe your state MD