Best GRE Math Prep Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMaxPsyD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best recs for GRE Math book? I need very basic help here so anything that explains everything from scratch within the context of the GRE (solving problems faster etc), please share.

Members don't see this ad.

I used several different GRE prep books. I think Princeton Review is the best for getting the quantitative basics down. As for specific Princeton Review books, I recommend the "cracking" book. The 1049 practice problems book has a lot of errors in the answer key, which was really frustrating for me.

Best recs for GRE Math book? I need very basic help here so anything that explains everything from scratch within the context of the GRE (solving problems faster etc), please share.

I definitely recommend the Princeton Review book for the Quantitative section. I actually wrote the GRE's twice, the second time being 5 days after the first time because that was the only date available. I read the whole princeton review book, and focused on the quantitative questions. I raised my quantitative score 140 points.

That said, the GRE is apparently changing drastically in the near future, so keep an eye on that when you consider booking your GRE test date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely the Cracking the GRE book by Princeton Review. This book helped me raise my overall score 200 points, and most of that was my math score. :)

Go to amazon.com and see the reviews for books. They would probably give you more detailed reviews for different texts.

I think that Barron's is hands down the best manual for GRE test preparation. The math section is especially well-written.

i agree with Barron's. And PR or Kaplan (both of these pretty much the same).
Also remember to use the ETS products available for free.

For the psych one, use a study guide but also pick up a history of psych text and an intro to psych text.

This may sound strange... but I bought several prep books to get ready for the quantitative section, but hands-down loved the "GRE for Dummies" version best.

I found that instead of inundating you with EVERY SINGLE bit of math knowledge, it gave great hints to get the jest of the problem and make an educated guess (if the problem is very difficult) or find the answer quickly.

Now, for the cons of the book. Because it is not extremely thorough on higher level math - I found that some of the questions I was given during the test I had NEVER seen before. I figured out later on that it was because they were 800 level questions - and therefore the "GRE for Dummies" book didn't find it necessary to go into those harder problems. I didn't find it a big deal though... as I was able to make educated guesses from the tips and hints the book taught and still got a 750 on my quantitative section - and I'd have to give that book all of the credit.

Good luck.

I worked as a high school math teacher and coach of the SAT, GMAT and GRE for several years. One of my favorite series in the series by Bobrow. The in-person course I took to prepare for graduate school application was also excellent (experienced, smart instructors (20 yr+ experience with graduate degrees), small class sizes (8 students in the class I took), and very reasonable prices--significantly cheaper than those offered by many of famous test prep companies)!
http://www.bobrowtest.com/index.htm

Good luck!

How is Nova's Math bible? Does anyone have any experiences with that one?

I know that the explanations offered are usually lengthy, but what about the problems themselves?

How is Nova's Math bible? Does anyone have any experiences with that one?

I know that the explanations offered are usually lengthy, but what about the problems themselves?

I don't have Nova's math bible but I do have something called Nova's GRE prep course and I have to say the math section in it is far more in depth than any other book I have used (Kaplan and Princeton Review). In fact I used it solely for math after reading numerous anecdotes that Nova had the most comprehensive math section on the market.

There are problem sets for each chapter that increase in difficulty (e.g., problem 1 = easy problem 15 = hard) in addition to lengthier practice test sections. The explanations provided in the solution section I also found more in depth than the other books.

I was able to find a pdf of it online though I won't say anymore on that (which may bias me because I feel like I found such a gem in the dirt). However, if you are resourceful and broke like Mua you might be able to find a copy.

I'm not going to give away any links (please no privates), but if you do a google search for GRE materials, within 15 minutes, you will come up with more materials than you'll ever need...everything ranging from Nova to Barrons to Princeton...EVERYTHING. I was going to go out and buy GRE prep books, but after 1/2 hr search, I found so many materials (many of which are 2009 versions) I realized I don't even need to spend a penny. Good luck, happy searching.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used a book called the "The Ultimate Math Refresher for the GRE, GMAT, and SAT." I felt like my biggest issue was that I hadn't done that type of math in over 5 years! I went through this entire book, and my math score was HIGHER than my verbal--unheardof!

Good luck!! :)

I've heard that the Nova math bible is amazing if you want a 700 + score. But if you want to start with the basic, I would suggest something more simple. Try number2.com if you have some time. It's free, and it gives you a sense of the theory behind it and what types of problems you'll see. And I believe they also have the word of the day or something similar. Hope this helps! And good luck!

I used several different GRE prep books. I think Princeton Review is the best for getting the quantitative basics down. As for specific Princeton Review books, I recommend the "cracking" book. The 1049 practice problems book has a lot of errors in the answer key, which was really frustrating for me.

+1, +300 points (450's practice to 740 actual) using cracking the GRE to get up to speed in 3 days.

+1, +300 points (450's practice to 740 actual) using cracking the GRE to get up to speed in 3 days.

Mark, can you elaborate? Are you saying that you started with 450 and ended up with 740?

Mark, can you elaborate? Are you saying that you started with 450 and ended up with 740?

Yes, that is precisely what I am saying. The three days I spent working the math problems were the best investment in time vs performance.

My first practice test with 0 prep was a 900 V+Q, and I realized I was in trouble. After all my prep work, my scores on practice tests were running around 660v and 540q. My actual test was a 1300 V+Q (560v/740q) and 5.5 AW. I only spent 3 days working the math problems. The Math is the quickest and easiest way to raise your score.

Mark

Results not typical. : )

That's excellent!!! I did not have that kind of success (using the same book).

Were you good at math before and just needed a refresher? I suck at math, and I studied for a couple weeks, and I only got my Q score into the low 500s.

Got a score in the high 700's using mostly Barron's for the basic review and Kaplan's bluish/purplish book for drilling. Lots and lots of drilling.

Results not typical. : )

That's excellent!!! I did not have that kind of success (using the same book).

Were you good at math before and just needed a refresher? I suck at math, and I studied for a couple weeks, and I only got my Q score into the low 500s.

No, I suck at math... I do learn tactics quickly and really the GRE math section is about tactics more than it is about math.

Mark

No, I suck at math... I do learn tactics quickly and really the GRE math section is about tactics more than it is about math.

Mark

I also think it is about 'the exception to the rule'. The harder problems are not about doing more computing or anything, you just have to simplify things. And to see which one is the right answer, pay attention to exceptions since those differentiate a good answer from a trick one. Plugging in numbers (worst case / best case scenario) can help to narrow down possibilities. For me at least, the ETS practice CAT was spot on regarding the Q score, even though the actual tests were quiet different, and I've heard that's the case for many people. So if you'd like to see what score you're at, I would definitely recommend downloading it.