best indian med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasveen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
can anybody tell me what the best med schools in india are?
thanks,
j

Members don't see this ad.

i think patiala is still good...
anyway, Manipal is the top right now.

AIIMS is the BEST medical school in India. But one cannot even DREAM of getting accepted there through a "donation" like Manipal........

Most American educated people would fail at AIIMS----really bad.....

AIIMS is best. Then comes ZIPMAIR(sp?). Then state schools. Then Manipal and other "donation=bribe for education" programs.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
zipkosucks said:
AIIMS is the BEST medical school in India. But one cannot even DREAM of getting accepted there through a "donation" like Manipal........

Most American educated people would fail at AIIMS----really bad.....

AIIMS is best. Then comes ZIPMAIR(sp?). Then state schools. Then Manipal and other "donation=bribe for education" programs.

Hope this helps.

re: aiims.
i'm told that out of thousands(maybe 100's of thousands) of people who take the entrance test, only 15 are accepted. those guys are untouchable.

if you're not qualified to be there, you won't get in even if you're an NRI with really wealthy parents.

Hi guys,
I'm new here, How is eveyone? :)

What about Sri Ramachandra medical Institute? Many NRI's seem to go there.

Suriya said:
Hi guys,
I'm new here, How is eveyone? :)

What about Sri Ramachandra medical Institute? Many NRI's seem to go there.
welcome to the indian forum :)

Thanks for the warm welcome Desikudi. :)

CaptainJack02 said:
re: aiims.
i'm told that out of thousands(maybe 100's of thousands) of people who take the entrance test, only 15 are accepted. those guys are untouchable.

if you're not qualified to be there, you won't get in even if you're an NRI with really wealthy parents.

well...as a matter of fact...34 students r taken in general category every year for MBBS(equivalent to MD in the US i guess) .....n in that test around 50000 students appear....so its the cream of india that goes in every year...

ciao...

ps: i'm talkin about AIIMS btw...

Actually, this piques my curiosity...

Obviously nothing can compare to AIIMS.

Of the schools that are NOT strictly merit-based, (i.e. the "donation" colleges that an NRI could buy his/her way into), which has the best educational reputation?

This is just idle curiosity... I'm an Indian (US born) in a US med school, but my sister went to India as an NRI to a "donation" school, so I have some passing familiarity with medical school in India, but not much... And all of my dad's stories are way outdated :)

WRXwing said:
Actually, this piques my curiosity...

Obviously nothing can compare to AIIMS.

Of the schools that are NOT strictly merit-based, (i.e. the "donation" colleges that an NRI could buy his/her way into), which has the best educational reputation?

This is just idle curiosity... I'm an Indian (US born) in a US med school, but my sister went to India as an NRI to a "donation" school, so I have some passing familiarity with medical school in India, but not much... And all of my dad's stories are way outdated :)

hey WRXwing, just curious... how did your sister adjust moving from America to India? My best friend's sister is thinking about doing that also but it seems hard to move from america to india because in India during high school you learn so much of the physics/bio/chem that u need in an indian med school. If someone goes to India after finishing High school here can it really be done? or do u have to finish college here to go to med school in india ?

futuris2kl said:
well...as a matter of fact...34 students r taken in general category every year for MBBS(equivalent to MD in the US i guess) .....n in that test around 50000 students appear....so its the cream of india that goes in every year...

ciao...

ps: i'm talkin about AIIMS btw....

It just means that students who get into the school are very smart and/or good at taking that particular test. It says nothing about their education. I don't mean to undermine Indian education. I am sure it is great!

zipkosucks said:
Most American educated people would fail at AIIMS----really bad....

Based on what i said above, I don't think so.

DoctorMalki said:
hey WRXwing, just curious... how did your sister adjust moving from America to India? My best friend's sister is thinking about doing that also but it seems hard to move from america to india because in India during high school you learn so much of the physics/bio/chem that u need in an indian med school. If someone goes to India after finishing High school here can it really be done? or do u have to finish college here to go to med school in india ?

Better to be homegrown in the Indian system than try to learn over here and then go there. You'll get slaughtered over there.

IllinoisStudent said:
It just means that students who get into the school are very smart and/or good at taking that particular test. It says nothing about their education. I don't mean to undermine Indian education. I am sure it is great!

yeah i guess the difficulty of the test doesn't say much about the level of education...its just a method of comparison....but u can say, almost as a rule, that those who learn more perform better coz there is no prescribed syllabus for many of the Pre Medical Tests (commonly referred to as PMTs).... the difficulty level/pattern of the questions vary from one medical school to another....

n i guess a person who can easily solve most of the exercises from books like Resnick n Halliday (forgot the title of the buk )/ Sears, Zemansky n Young (University Physics)would b at the same level as those who make it into AIIMS. (this is just to give an idea, taking physics as an example)

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorMalki said:

nahh...one can do well in a medical school in india with just a basic knowledge of physics, chem n bio......i'm into my 4th semester this jan n hardly had to use anything apart from the very basics in physics n chem........having a good knowledge base in bio is an advantage but not a necessity....

IllinoisStudent said:

Actually, I think it's a pretty well-founded argument... Indians are often far better clinicians than doctors educated in the West and those in my family who have attended AIIMS have gone on to the States and residencied at some of the highest ranked hospitals there. I certainly don't think I'd be able to handle Indian competition in med school!

I don't want this to be an Indian Education vs. American Education thread. Indian institutions like IIT and AIIMS have international reputation in academia, and they train apt engineers and doctors. Having said that, I still think it is wrong to conclude that Indian doctors are "better" or better trained than American doctors.

I couldn't help noticing on this thread that lot of Americans are going to India for education. I was wondering why?

Is it the number of years: 5 (in India) vs. 8 years here, or cost of education or quality of education? Did u guys go to India right after high school or did u do undergrad here and then went to India? I noticed that some of you did undergrad here and then went to India, but I was curious about others.

P.S: Futurski, I was amazed to see that you remember physics books by their authors. I thought I was the only one :oops: . Haven't taken physics since high school, but still remember Resnick & Halliday. Btw, they have more than one txtbks.

IllinoisStudent said:
I don't want this to be an Indian Education vs. American Education thread. Indian institutions like IIT and AIIMS have international reputation in academia, and they train apt engineers and doctors. Having said that, I still think it is wrong to conclude that Indian doctors are "better" or better trained than American doctors.

lolz...i don't remember saying that indian docs r 'better' or 'better trained' than their american counterparts...... :)

lol woahhh what an argument. I agree with illinoisStudent on this one. Even though AIIMS is a great school and is highly reputed, it is unfair to say that they produce better doctors than American medical schools. I think schools can only do so much for a doctor. Yes it is important to get a good education in medical school but the kind of doctor a person becomes really depends on who the person is and how much that person wants to get out of a medical school. In terms of intelligence, you cannot compare the select 25-35 students at AIIMS to all the medical students in america.

I would say , it is possible to adjust to a med school in india after doing high school/college in the US. That said, none of the HS or COllege stuff is required to do well in med school. Med school anywhere is a start from scratch, your earlier performance doesn't matter anymore. The standardized test in India and in US only help make the admissions committee's job of selecting students, easier. standardized tests are a basis of testing h ow well a student can assimilate and apply the information learnt. If he/she can do so on a standardized test, he/she will get past successfully through med school. It is not that the material for the standardized test forms the root foundation of what is going to be continued in med school.

A major difference between India and US is that, India is a lot more about memorization than US. US is more understanding, which changes in med school obviously. If you can get into a good med school in india, that would be a positive and help you get a better residency in the US. I have been discouraged by some indian doctors to go to india for med school, so I gave up the plan. I don't know the reason why he discouraged me to do so. People say that you don't get to choose your residency. I bet AIIMS should get you into a good residency program. Make sure you get used to memorizing a lot. I did that till 12th grade...so it would have been easier for me to do my med school in india, but came here just because that doctor told me, if I wanted to practice in the US, it would be better that I do my med school in the US too.. From my experience I've known many people who did their med school in india, took USMLEs and practice successfully in the US...

I don't think it should be a problem. Good luck :luck:

IllinoisStudent said:

I couldn't help noticing on this thread that lot of Americans are going to India for education. I was wondering why?

Is it the number of years: 5 (in India) vs. 8 years here, or cost of education or quality of education? Did u guys go to India right after high school or did u do undergrad here and then went to India? I noticed that some of you did undergrad here and then went to India, but I was curious about others.

P.S: Futurski, I was amazed to see that you remember physics books by their authors. I thought I was the only one :oops: . Haven't taken physics since high school, but still remember Resnick & Halliday. Btw, they have more than one txtbks.

Is AIIMS at the same level as IIT? B'cse I heard students saying that IIT entrance exams(JEE) are much harder than those for AIIMS and moreover IIT is the most rigorous education experience one can imagine to have.

[hi !!guys just joined in i really need help!!!
tell me how to get detail on good indian medical uni??

[You are right 100%.You can get in prestigious school like Chandigarh med. college but you will be really sorry when you have to take an exam afetr 18 months.And you better pass.When you go to India you are dealing with kids who are god gifted.Our system is very laid back.Parents spend lots of money to send kids to India and they come back before finishing.Be careful.If my kid want to go I rather send them to Australia or UK Ireland Malta etc.This is only for foreign born who never stayed in India.However it is good for kids who like to stay in India for 6 years.QUOTE=shivalrous]Better to be homegrown in the Indian system than try to learn over here and then go there. You'll get slaughtered over there.[/QUOTE]

kuralia said:
[You are right 100%.You can get in prestigious school like Chandigarh med. college but you will be really sorry when you have to take an exam afetr 18 months.And you better pass.When you go to India you are dealing with kids who are god gifted.Our system is very laid back.Parents spend lots of money to send kids to India and they come back before finishing.Be careful.If my kid want to go I rather send them to Australia or UK Ireland Malta etc.This is only for foreign born who never stayed in India.However it is good for kids who like to stay in India for 6 years.QUOTE=shivalrous]Better to be homegrown in the Indian system than try to learn over here and then go there. You'll get slaughtered over there.
[/QUOTE]

Hey...what is so prestigious abt chandigarh medical coll??It got recognition few years back......I guess you are confused...cos its PGI that is prestigious and one of the best in INDIA..it has no MBBS .....ONLY POST-gradute courses......

gtg162yy said:
Is AIIMS at the same level as IIT? B'cse I heard students saying that IIT entrance exams(JEE) are much harder than those for AIIMS and moreover IIT is the most rigorous education experience one can imagine to have.

IIT is IIT and AIIMS is AIIMS...there is no comparison....AIIMS has just 50 seats....very competetive...best in INDIA.....Being in AIIMS as UG is different thing than doing a PG......IIT is tough to get in .....as in engineering Masters is not important...u get out of IIT and get jobs...U do UG in AIIMS...u still need to do PG...for job....

Partly true. The mbbs education in AIIMS is better than most med schools, dare say all over the world ( you have some creamy med schools in every country). The med students get great exposure to state of the art technology and expertise. How many med schools all over the world can expose med students to
cardiac transplants, gamma knife procedures, multiorgan transplant units, radiation oncology and many other things. I have been in the US for a long time to realize that every med school in the US is not mayo or hopkins. Plus aiims mbbs students compete very well in the other postgrad med entrances.
I have studied in manipal and also had a part of my education in AIIMS so I have seen both institutions from inside. But i can safely say that AIIMS is far superior.
Regarding clinical skills , there has been an article in JAMA and another in Archives of Int Med that the clinical skills of FMGs are superior to American Med Students. The reason AMGs have upper hand at residencies is because this is their country and they have paid a huge fee for their med education in the US.

Hi,
I have a ?. And it would help me a gr8 deal if you could answer this.

For NRI's from america who went to SRMC, or is going to SRMC. What did they look at for ur admission. Thanks a bunch. It would help me a GREAT deal if u answered this. :)

uclakid said:
i think patiala is still good...
anyway, Manipal is the top right now.[/QU

What a joke...i can't stop laughing..

gtg162yy said:
AIIMS is a med school n IIT is all about engineering....there is no comparision between the two.......the two have nothing in common........ :)

Why Indian medical schools all used english as the language of communication? why not use Hindi or other indian languages? isnt this doing harm to the indian culture? as far as i know, japanese use japanese in their medical school, chinese use chinese, german use german, french use french, russian use russian....etc...so far, india is the only big country i know which dont use its own language....

this issue has a far bigger dimension. India has many regional languages, so doctors getting educated in medicine in different languages hampers them to pursue`medical careers in other parts of the`country. All of us studied medicine using the english language, but use our languages in medical practice.
The other positive aspect of this is that it left a lot of opportunity to enable technology transfers from other countries in the last 40 yrs.
American med students use textbooks by american authors , british by british authors and so on. Similarly we have also starting using many textbooks written by Indian authors. And this is not only at med school level. Now we have established indian authors writing textbooks in specialities and subspecialities, which majority residents read. Example in neurosurgery we have ' Textbook of Neurosurgery' by Tandon and Ramamurthi with chapters written by many expert neurosurgeons.
In the 21st century, now we have our own guidelines for many things that affect our people more and publications on those lines. In stem cell research and biotech the pharma sector is very active with many companies having started umbilical cord stem cell banks.
This has been possible because of the use of english language. This has enabled us to learn the existing available knowledge and keep pace with the times and them start our own research/publications and advancement when the economy booms.
If you read the history of medicine , most of the specialities were developed and advanced by europeans particularly britishers in the late 19 th century. Then americans learnt these from europeans and advanced medicine when their economy progressed. At that time, there were no nobel prizes. This is the most important reason why i favor technical education in english. This does not lower the importance of indian languages because eventually we use our own languages in daily practice of medicine.

IMGforNeuro said:
Example in neurosurgery we have ' Textbook of Neurosurgery' by Tandon and Ramamurthi with chapters written by many expert neurosurgeons.

There is also an american text book of Neurosurgery authored by a famous indian-american neurosurgeon Dr. Rengachary which is a standard reference book for many american neurosurgeons in training.