Best International Med School For Matching In US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthanNt

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to SDN and I have been looking for some answers and havent found a couple so I decided to post it here and I would appreciate if I could get your opinions. So I am a Canadian High School student and I have a fairly good average in the mid 90s and I will get into some competitive health science undergrads here in Canada. But as you might be aware only around ~2% of undergrads are accepted into med school each year in canada and the rest are forced to go aboard or try again which can be hectic.

My end goal is to actually work in the US preferably because of the number of opportunities. Now with the extremely low chances of getting into med school in Canada, I have decided that going international and applying to a US residency is probably the best path for me. With the USMLE step 1 becoming pass/fail and one of the Step 2 cancelled, I am worried about future match rates for IMGs and how it will look. Now from my understanding the interviews and clinical experience will now be a major deciding factor if you will match or not. So I have done a lot of research on Caribbean, Irish, UK and Aussie Med schools. I was wondering which of these 4 countries have schools with the most US clinical experiences and quality of education so that I can have the highest chances fo matching to the US. I ask this because from my understanding Carribeans grads get the most clinical experience in the US but also users from SDN say caribbean schools are the worst of the 4 counties. Also if you know any specific schools that offer great clinical experience in the US that also have undergrad med for international students feel free to write them. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You are correct that getting into a Canadian medical school may be very difficult.

However, DO NOT consider international schools until you have exhausted the below options.

First try to get into a US med school, whether US MD or US DO. Learn more about DO schools if unfamiliar.

You will get far better clinical opportunities, research opportunities, and interview opportunities coming out of a US DO or US MD school. Many US DO schools are also much more reasonable to get an acceptance to as well.

Going international is a big risk and should only be considered if you are unable to secure a position at a US DO or US MD school (seeing as your in high school, don't even think about it yet, and focus on completing pre-requisites to get into a US school e.g. MCAT, volunteering/shadowing physicians, taking english as a class, organic chem etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
Agree that if you wish to practice in the US, attending school in the US is your best bet. Try for US MD and DO.

Otherwise, off the top of my head, Weill Cornell Qatar, Sackler, and UQ Ochsner comes to mind

Members don't see this ad :)
Finding a residency (except like neurosurgery, derm and ortho etc) is not difficult even with a international diploma. Do great in your USMLEs and be well prepared for your interviews and you'll be fine.

Canadian medical school acceptance rate is 18% per year in the latest available data... If you can't do well enough to get into Canadian MD, USMD, USDO then you have a good risk of doing poorly on USMLEs and struggling to match. You're essentially kicking the can down the road and postponing the bottleneck for 4 years but now 300k in debt is on the line.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Agree that if you wish to practice in the US, attending school in the US is your best bet. Try for US MD and DO.

Otherwise, off the top of my head, Weill Cornell Qatar, Sackler, and UQ Ochsner comes to mind
You won’t get into Weill cornell Qatar or sackler or Ochsner if you can’t get into USDO