Best Interview Day Lunch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fermata

Hold me.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been done before but who cares?

My vote goes for DMU.

Members don't see this ad.

My vote goes for DMU.

I interviewed at:
PCOM-GA...no lunch
LECOM-E....sucky lunch
WVSOM...boring lunch
LMU-DCOM...Okay lunch

I guess DCOM wins!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought DCOM was really good. I had a salad. They have a great salad bar. We had bagels at PCSOM and pre-made sandwiches at NYCOM.:thumbdown: DCOM definitely wins!:clap::D

I love DCOM but being a Southern boy I was dissapointed that there weren't any collards. :(

Yuck! I hate collards!:barf: That is one of the few southern foods that I don't like.:D

DMU was nice in that we just got to get whatever we wanted for lunch. They took us to the cafeteria and said we can get whatever we wanted and then just tell them we're on the interview. Same at UNECOM, although I think they only had cold stuff.

I missed the lunch at NSU because my interview went late and by the time I got up, the only thing that was left was some salad, not even any forks. The student had to get more forks and plates for me.

Touro-NV. They actually took us out to a resteraunt: Mustang Sally's Diner. That was a great meal for sure, and easily the best lunch of my interviews.

Touro-NV. They actually took us out to a resteraunt: Mustang Sally's Diner. That was a great meal for sure, and easily the best lunch of my interviews.

That actually sounds pretty impressive. I don't think it should be a huge consideration when choosing a school but it's nice when a school steps up and helps you out with a good meal when you've spent so much money applying and traveling.

WHAT?!?
On the day of my Touro-NV interview, we had lunch brought in from a Kosher Deli. It was good, but it was certainly no Diner!

In general, I don't eat very much on interview dates. I'm not a nervous person, but I tend to lose my appetite on those days.

DMU:thumbup:

Try to have your interview around thanksgiving at DMU, best turkey ever.

And whats with this touro-nv taking peeps out? I got that kosher meal, it was ok, but I want my pork!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
WHAT?!?
On the day of my Touro-NV interview, we had lunch brought in from a Kosher Deli. It was good, but it was certainly no Diner!

In general, I don't eat very much on interview dates. I'm not a nervous person, but I tend to lose my appetite on those days.

Haha. Yeah, Roger said that normally they would order from a Kosher deli, but since it was passover the deli was closed... hence, we were taken out to a diner. Good times.

Best Interview Day Lunch...

PCOM didnt' have one (it was a fairly nice breakfast)

CCOMs was a pretty normal cafeteria lunch.

WVSOM's was the best b/c they took us to the General Lewis Inn and I got an amazing burger...

Plus southern hospitality :)

Wow I applied to 17 schools and got 3 interviews... jeez. They tried to explain that med school admissions is competitive. :laugh:

Best: SOMA
Reason: Lunch outside in the sun in the middle of March! (good selection of wraps, croissants, and sandwiches)

Worst: CCOM
Reason: There was no food left in the cafeteria by the time we got there. Talk about a bad impression.

PCOM didnt' have one (it was a fairly nice breakfast)

It is the most important meal of the day, after all. ;)

Wow I applied to 17 schools and got 3 interviews... jeez. They tried to explain that med school admissions is competitive. :laugh:

I don't think that's out of the ordinary, unless you happen to be on the stellar (lots of interviews) or weaker (no interviews) ends of the spectrum. I did 21 secondary applications (MD + DO), and received 4 interviews. That doesn't even count all my pre-secondary rejections.

how about, ppl like myself who are vegetarians... anytime someone offers a free lunch = "no lunch" for us... :confused:

how about, ppl like myself who are vegetarians... anytime someone offers a free lunch = "no lunch" for us... :confused:

Can't you just go outside and pick the leaves off the trees and bushes? :laugh:

VCOM serves food for both carnivores and herbivores daily

Can't you just go outside and pick the leaves off the trees and bushes? :laugh:

:lol: :lol:

My vote goes for DMU.

My vote goes for DMU, too. In fact, DMU does just about everything the best. Anyway - getting to choose whatever you want for lunch is a pretty good set up.

UNECOM does that, too - but like it was said above - nothing hot, that I recall. It was still a good, close second.

UMDNJ didn't really give us so much as a teeny bag of pretzels like you used to get on the plane. :thumbdown: But oh well. You could ask for a juice and they'd get you one while you waited for your interview.....

Out of the 6, I would say tie between CCOM, DMU. Both were well stocked with a nice variety and the food was good.

Worst: Touro-NV
Some crap Kosher sandwiches and chips.
Maybe they've been reading threads like this and now they take people out to restaurants since they can only serve Kosher food on campus

My vote goes for DMU.
DMU because of the choice, cafeteria style.

COMP, since they have four different types of sandwiches, chips, salad, soda, and water. And there was enough for seconds...or thirds :thumbup:

DMU > COMP > LECOM - Erie > Penn State

PCOM - Philly did not have lunch. They had breakfast instead.

At DMU I really couldn't find anything that didn't look good. Everything they were serving looked :thumbup:

the infamous haunted general lewis inn for WVSOM was pretty nice... breakfast and lunch. SWEET TEA!! That's the one thing I love about going down south is the sweat tea. As much as I like the north, they just don't know how to make it up here.

SWEET TEA!! That's the one thing I love about going down south is the sweat tea. As much as I like the north, they just don't know how to make it up here.

True that--It is good. It's also an acomplice to the fattness and diabetes of the south.

I'm vegetarian and I had a great lunch at DMU! They really took the cake and let us have free reign. I ate a little too much... but it was good.

KCOM was accomodating for vegetarians too, they brought us brown bag lunches with deli sandwiches.

PCOM-Ga I think only had breakfast foods. We sat at the same table for most of the day and they just kept the food next to us so we kept munching away as we waited for the interviews. It also served as bait for the current students as some would come in to get a snack and have to talk to us.

LECOM-Br actually has a cafeteria, unlike some schools. So they could order extra food for us as we needed it. By some stroke of chance my interview group happened to have a number of vegetarians in it, so they had to order extra veg stuff. Usually no one touched the vegetarian stuff.

I thought DCOM was really good. I had a salad. They have a great salad bar. We had bagels at PCSOM and pre-made sandwiches at NYCOM.:thumbdown: DCOM definitely wins!:clap::D

I love how they make pre-made sandwiches with every conceivable condiment on it -- as if everyone wants a turkey sandwich with tomato, lettuce, mayo, mushrooms, mustard, mayonnaise, bits of green things (what are they? they're mystery additions)

I love how they make pre-made sandwiches with every conceivable condiment on it -- as if everyone wants a turkey sandwich with tomato, lettuce, mayo, mushrooms, mustard, mayonnaise, bits of green things (what are they? they're mystery additions)

:laugh: I know! There were people coming in stealing food too. :smuggrin: I still haven't figured out what was on their vegitarian option.:rolleyes: :p

I thought the funniest part of the NYCOM lunch is that they had a ton of really bad foods to eat before an interview:

Tuna wraps, stuff with tons of chopped onion, garlic potato chips, Vinegar and salt chips...I felt bad for the poor intertviewers :)

All 5 of the schools I interviewed at had vegetarian options. There are more of us out there than you might think :)

Haha. Yeah, Roger said that normally they would order from a Kosher deli, but since it was passover the deli was closed... hence, we were taken out to a diner. Good times.

food at DMU was great where we could pick anything..... but @ Touro - NV, the Sally Dinner was awesome since it served after our interview, when everything was over so we could eat as much as we wanted without worrying about being too full or have stomache :laugh:

only ate at tucom-mi and ccom..ccom was my favorite since we got to eat whatever we wanted in the cafeteria..and they had pistachio ice cream :p

for allo schools, the UIC interview was my fave out of all the schools since they had food catered from this awesome italian restaurant...lots of pasta, pizza, salads, and cookies =)

I'm a vegetarian and never went hungry on any of my interviews last year. As has been pointed out, the majority of schools just let you get whatever you want from the cafeteria, and the cafeteria is always going to have a veggie burger, grilled cheese, salad, cheese pizza, etc. With the catered lunches, the sides were always enough to fill you up.

Last year, the best lunches were OSU and DMU. OSU hired some fancy caterer and had cheesecake, good salad and a yummy pasta dish. My DMU interview was at the Marriott in Portland, so it was catered by the Marriott instead of just your usual cafeteria fare.

:laugh: I know! There were people coming in stealing food too. :smuggrin: I still haven't figured out what was on their vegitarian option.:rolleyes: :p

DoctorMom what did you do!!!!! You changed your avatar to Star Trek!?!?!

You are going to have Riker all over you like stink on....

1st place-DMU
~whatever you wanted, good food and variety
2nd place-WVSOM
~you go to a small restaurant
3rd place-AZCOM
~you get a voucher to get some stuff
...gets worse from there

food at DMU was great where we could pick anything..... but @ Touro - NV, the Sally Dinner was awesome since it served after our interview, when everything was over so we could eat as much as we wanted without worrying about being too full or have stomache :laugh:

Or for some people, not have to worry about making a mess of their shirt!! ;)

your avatar is hilarious... and i think i know why you put it up :laugh:

C'mon, Dr. Mom, just put up the pic where you're actually wearing the costume...we know you have one...TREKKIE!!!

NSU had the best food on my interview trail!

C'mon, Dr. Mom, just put up the pic where you're actually wearing the costume...we know you have one...TREKKIE!!!

NSU had the best food on my interview trail!

:lol: Yup, I am a closet Trekkie.:smuggrin: ;)

I thought the funniest part of the NYCOM lunch is that they had a ton of really bad foods to eat before an interview:

Tuna wraps, stuff with tons of chopped onion, garlic potato chips, Vinegar and salt chips...I felt bad for the poor intertviewers :)

It's all part of the test.

I think I'm just going to bring a protein bar to the interview and eat that. I don't see where that could go wrong.

Unless the protein bar is poisoned, which they haven't been so far...