Best Laptop for Medical School? Special tech requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almond11

Reaction score
My laptop shattered today due to a series of unfortunate events & I need to buy a new one ASAP. I'm a college senior and do all my work online.

However, I will be attended medical school in 2023, and I know they say "Don't buy a new laptop until you know where you are going." (I guess because med schools have specific requirements for your laptops?) Well, I want the new laptop I buy tomorrow to be usable for med school, so I don't have to buy ANOTHER one in 2023.

What specific tech requirements do med schools typically send admitted/incoming students? What do y'all recommend?

(I will be attending a texas med school & have one prematch offer)

Members don't see this ad.

Im pretty sure that a basic MacBook Air will do the trick. This isn't engineering or comp sci where you will have to run some complicated software that needs a certain amount of ram.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I love my MacBook Pro, the air just handled a little slow to me but I also code on the side!

I have a MacBook Pro that I used all throughout grad school and my med school made all of us buy Dell laptops (charges in our tuition) due to specific software that we need to take our exams. So now I have 2 laptops. So it depends haha

M1 or M2 MacBook Air is hard to beat.. all-day battery and more processing power than you could possibly need. Plus if you need windows there's bootcamp and all that good stuff

Go with a ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 10. You want atleast 2 usb A ports, which reduces the need for a dongle.