Best Laptops for Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saisri_PharmStdnt

Class of 2023
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I understand that Creighton doesn't provide laptops anymore, but they've provided specs that they recommend. I'm looking into laptops now as my current one isn't going to be on life support much longer and I want to invest smartly. I want something that is going to last me through school with my (hopeful) graduation year of 2023.

I've included their specs for reference. What do you all recommend and why?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• creighton tech requirements.PNG
    creighton tech requirements.PNG
    62.3 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: 1 users
Lenovo Thinkpad or Yoga series. Especially the Yoga series if you like foldable laptops that you can take notes on with a stylus. Really helps with annotating ppts during lecture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply! Those can get pricey which has me a little tentative. I just don't know much about the hardware side of laptops.

Here's more of what Creighton has to say:

Examples of laptop computers appropriate for online learning tools and activities include:
  • PC laptop
  • PC 2-in-1
  • Surface Pro with keyboard
  • Macbook laptop
Note on Tablets and Operating Systems
  • Tablet devices, such as iPad, iPad Pro, Android, Amazon Fire, Chromebook, Microsoft Surface Laptop with Windows 10s, etc. are not sufficient to support all activities within distance/online programs.
  • Virtual operating systems such as Microsoft’s Virtual Machine, Parallels, VMware, VMware Fusion, Apple Boot Camp or any other virtual environments are not allowed.
  • Only genuine U.S.-English, French, Portuguese, Swedish, and British versions of Windows operating systems are supported.

Entry-level occupational therapy (OTD), pharmacy (PHA) and physical therapy (PTD) students are required to have digital inking capability. Several models of Windows PCs have built-in inking capability; MacBooks do not. There is no requirement for an iPad. If you own an iPad, several apps are available that allow inking. You must be able to export/save the document as a .PDF or .docx to submit as an assignment.

While Creighton endorses no particular eWriter brand over another, students have had success with the Wacom Intuos Draw or the Boogie Board Sync for laptops without integrated inking capability.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bad news, if inking capacities are REQUIRED, then expect to pay a substantial amount of money for this laptop.

Yeah, I saw.. But I think I chose wisely as far as affordability vs requirement.

I picked the HP Envy 2-in-1 with an I7, 1TB, 16GB RAM. it was $899 at Best Buy. Has the Windows Ink capability, and because I didn't go top of the line, I'm going to pick out a good pen to use with it.

Yeah, I saw.. But I think I chose wisely as far as affordability vs requirement.

I picked the HP Envy 2-in-1 with an I7, 1TB, 16GB RAM. it was $899 at Best Buy. Has the Windows Ink capability, and because I didn't go top of the line, I'm going to pick out a good pen to use with it.

i got accepted at creighton for distance yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users
Lenovo Thinkpad or Yoga series.
I hate the Lenovo Thinkpad .many bugs with its drive issues . I once wasted two days cracking a locked password . but I still failed ,
I think the Dell is good ,

I hate the Lenovo Thinkpad .many bugs with its drive issues . I once wasted two days cracking a locked password . but I still failed ,
I think the Dell is good ,
Maybe , you just don't know how to do .

apple...everything else is a piece of crap that will have to be replaced every other year.

Dell XPS 13
Get back to class with the best-in-class

CPU: 8th-generation Intel Core i5 – i7 | Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620 | RAM: 4GB – 16GB | Screen: 13.3-inch FHD (1,920 x 1,080; non-touch) – UHD (3,840 x 2,160; touchscreen) | Storage: 128GB – 1TB SSD

Gorgeous new design
Impressive performance
Steeper starting price
White option is pricier
It’s not controversial to claim that the XPS 13 is the best laptop for college students. For the last few years, we’ve watched in awe as Dell has continued to top its best Ultrabook again and again. Thin, light and powerful enough to handle anything college students may throw at it – the Dell XPS 13 is back, albeit at a higher starting price than before. However, that higher price means you get an 8th-generation Intel Core i5 processor at the very least, paired with a gorgeous, bezel-less InfinityEdge display on top of an Alpine White woven into Rose Gold color scheme. Yeah, it may be expensive – but you’re getting the best laptop a college student could ask for.

I have a Dell G5 laptop - I love it and but hate how heavy it is... I wish I waited and got the new 2018 MacBook Pro 15” instead.. granted it’s also 3x the cost of my dell - it’s definitely worth it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad pick, HDD sucks (that 1 TB). You need to upgrade to SSD and make the SSD your OS. Difference in speed is about 3-5x faster opening apps, browsing and loading windows/anything.

Bad pick, HDD sucks (that 1 TB). You need to upgrade to SSD and make the SSD your OS. Difference in speed is about 3-5x faster opening apps, browsing and loading windows/anything.

I don't have that kind of money at the moment to up to some of the better options (and I already bought that one). I'm married w/ 2 kids, mortgage, car payments, etc.. The younger applicants who don't have all the commitments I have can afford the better options :)

I don't have that kind of money at the moment to up to some of the better options (and I already bought that one). I'm married w/ 2 kids, mortgage, car payments, etc.. The younger applicants who don't have all the commitments I have can afford the better options :)
It's $60 upgrade for SSD lol but I don't think you have the technical know how to do this yourself to make that 5x speed improvement unless you know some nerds in your class...

Buying a computer with HDD is the biggest mistake most ppl make. RAM and processor don't matter (any $500 laptop will come with enough processor and ram).

Hi! I understand that Creighton doesn't provide laptops anymore, but they've provided specs that they recommend. I'm looking into laptops now as my current one isn't going to be on life support much longer and I want to invest smartly. I want something that is going to last me through school with my (hopeful) graduation year of 2023.

Thank you!
the best laptop is the one you have with you.

Thank you!

As per the use and specs recommended by Creighton, you should choose around 13 to 14 inch laptop with a portable lightweight design and having configuration options that meets the requirements. Three laptops comes in my mind that can fit your need at its best, the New Dell XPS 13 9380, New Surface Laptop 3 and MacBook Air. And all the three laptops are available in Rose Gold color which seems to look good.

• Wow
As per the use and specs recommended by Creighton, you should choose around 13 to 14 inch laptop with a portable lightweight design and having configuration options that meets the requirements. Three laptops comes in my mind that can fit your need at its best, the New Dell XPS 13 9380, New Surface Laptop 3 and MacBook Air. And all the three laptops are available in Rose Gold color which seems to look good.

1.2 years later, I think that ship has sailed mate