1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Lifestyle in Primary Care

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Sanman, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Sanman

Sanman O.G.
    10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    A friend brought this question up to me and I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask. Which primary care fields/specialties have the best lifestyle during and post residency?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TinaRose

TinaRose Junior Member

Great question. I'd like to know too. I really want to be a doctor, but am concerned about how it will affect my plans for starting a family.

4. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Probably dermatology...I am really not knowledgeable enough to give much info, but derm usually has hours of 9-5 and call is very benign.

No pun intended.

Anyway, it's extremely hard to get into derm, though. Gotta be tops in the class, pretty much.

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Firebird:
    <strong>Probably dermatology...I am really not knowledgeable enough to give much info, but derm usually has hours of 9-5 and call is very benign.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They were asking about Primary Care specialties, which include Family Practice, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, and Ob/Gyn, and I think one more but can't remember which.

I'd say FP, just because you can set your own schedule. I mean you can limit your acceptance of new patients, can't you?

6. John90210

John90210 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Psychiatry is not considered primary care but some people, but it affords one of the best lifestyles of any profession. Usually 40 hr weeks, and about 8 weeks vacation + CME time. Of course, people can choose to work more, but most community positions require about 35-45 hrs/week.

7. Acro Yali

Acro Yali Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what about geriatrics?

8. rad

rad Member
    7+ Year Member

you should not associate any primary care field with a good lifestyle. They make the least amount of money and work the most hours. Most primary care physicians see their hospitalized patients after a full day of seeing patients in the office. I am a resident now and most of the attendings I see after 6pm or on weekends in the hospital are the primary care physicians.

9. Sanman

Sanman O.G.
    10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Rad -
    I know that primary care fields don't award you the lifestyle and compensation of derm and such, but I was wondering if there were distinct lifestyle difference between these fields. For example, I would assume a pediatrician works less hours than an ob/gyn, I'm sure the ob/gyn makes more money for these hours, but I was primarily interested in the lifestyle difference of a full-time physician in these fields regardless of discrepancies in pay.

10. Sanman

Sanman O.G.
    10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Well if primary care fields don't have a good lifedtyle, what about their specialties?

11. Sanman

Sanman O.G.
    10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    no answers....well I thought I'd give it a bump before I let it die.