Best Lifestyle in Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanman

O.G.
Reaction score
A friend brought this question up to me and I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask. Which primary care fields/specialties have the best lifestyle during and post residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Great question. I'd like to know too. I really want to be a doctor, but am concerned about how it will affect my plans for starting a family.

Probably dermatology...I am really not knowledgeable enough to give much info, but derm usually has hours of 9-5 and call is very benign.

No pun intended.

Anyway, it's extremely hard to get into derm, though. Gotta be tops in the class, pretty much.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Firebird:
•Probably dermatology...I am really not knowledgeable enough to give much info, but derm usually has hours of 9-5 and call is very benign.•••••They were asking about Primary Care specialties, which include Family Practice, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, and Ob/Gyn, and I think one more but can't remember which.

I'd say FP, just because you can set your own schedule. I mean you can limit your acceptance of new patients, can't you?

Psychiatry is not considered primary care but some people, but it affords one of the best lifestyles of any profession. Usually 40 hr weeks, and about 8 weeks vacation + CME time. Of course, people can choose to work more, but most community positions require about 35-45 hrs/week.

what about geriatrics?

you should not associate any primary care field with a good lifestyle. They make the least amount of money and work the most hours. Most primary care physicians see their hospitalized patients after a full day of seeing patients in the office. I am a resident now and most of the attendings I see after 6pm or on weekends in the hospital are the primary care physicians.

Rad -
I know that primary care fields don't award you the lifestyle and compensation of derm and such, but I was wondering if there were distinct lifestyle difference between these fields. For example, I would assume a pediatrician works less hours than an ob/gyn, I'm sure the ob/gyn makes more money for these hours, but I was primarily interested in the lifestyle difference of a full-time physician in these fields regardless of discrepancies in pay.

Well if primary care fields don't have a good lifedtyle, what about their specialties?

no answers....well I thought I'd give it a bump before I let it die.