Best MCAT books for each topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebur4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my MCAT score back and I did have an overall 5pt increase but nothing competitive. I used Kaplans new test prep books for all sections. I am looking to take a different route this time around. If any of you guys have input on which book/books are good for each individual section please let me know what you think/used. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What was your previous and new score? Different books can help different backgrounds.

General chemistry: TBR
Organic chemistry: TBR, EK if you are good at problems but need conceptual review
Physics: TBR, EK if you are good at problems but need more conceptual review
All biology: TBR
Psych/soc: TPR, KA 300 page notes from reddit, KA passages

EK101 passage books are also good for data analysis and stuff that is way harder than the real thing. Extra practice but honestly TBR books have so much practice they are difficult to get through.

Reactions: 1 user
What was your previous and new score? Different books can help different backgrounds.

General chemistry: TBR
Organic chemistry: TBR, EK if you are good at problems but need conceptual review
Physics: TBR, EK if you are good at problems but need more conceptual review
All biology: TBR
Psych/soc: TPR, KA 300 page notes from reddit, KA passages

EK101 passage books are also good for data analysis and stuff that is way harder than the real thing. Extra practice but honestly TBR books have so much practice they are difficult to get through.
I went from a 485 to a 490. I spent more time trying to learn the majority of the forgotten concepts from undergrad. I would like a book/books for each subject that get into depth instead of giving you material that you aren't 100% sure of. I'm trying to reach 505 to give myself a decent chance at a MD/DO school. I guess you feel that TBR does a pretty good job with the topics.

I went from a 485 to a 490. I spent more time trying to learn the majority of the forgotten concepts from undergrad. I would like a book/books for each subject that get into depth instead of giving you material that you aren't 100% sure of. I'm trying to reach 505 to give myself a decent chance at a MD/DO school. I guess you feel that TBR does a pretty good job with the topics.

I used TPR for everything and appreciated it. I had a Kaplan bio book that I really, really did not like. I feel like they don't approach the test the right way.

If I had to do it all over again I would have used TPR for everything and augmented with Khan academy vids more for psych/soc.

OP if I were you I would take an MCAT class, or maybe even retake some of the pre reqs. A 490 followed by a 495 is obviously an issue. Ultimately the MCAT is a reading comp exam that draws on content knowledge so your test taking skills could need improvement.