Best MCAT Content Practice Books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be done with general chemistry and general biology soon, so I would like to do some MCAT practice specific to those subject areas. Outside of AAMC material, what books do you recommend? I'm leaning towards Kaplan.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT testing market is so competitive that there are few wrong answers. Do some Amazon searches and see what fits for you.

I used EK for things I was good at and Princeton review for weaknesses.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
I have a scribd account which has all the KAPLAN review books. I have the older Kaplan edition for the new MCAT. I prefer a hard copy of texts but in this case I don't see a reason to buy Kaplan prep again. I am leaning towards buying Princeton prep. Any other material for practicing? and any general tips to boost score? I took my MCAT in 2017 with a 505 (127/124/127/127). I want to boost it to 510+ on my second. My cars was the worst one.

TPR is pretty good for the P/S section, but you should couple it with the 300 page P/S doc by MCATKings. That is a formula for success. I powered through those pages and it was a big part of my 130. Put your time in, make your own Anki cards, and don't freak out if your P/S section feels like CARS 2.0.

For sciences, the best material is TBR hands down. I can say with certainty that I would not have scored as high as I did without them. They come with both content review and detailed examples how to solve problems AND over 5000 questions with some seriously genius ways to solve complicated questions quickly. Their tricks are pure gold. I kept an ongoing list of their tips, tricks, shortcuts, and strategies as I did the homework and reviewed it before every practice exam and ultimately my real MCAT. This was a HUGE help. I pocketed a pair of 132s here and couldn't be more elated. Their books are the only ones that have both content review and tons of passages with detailed and helpful explanations.

For CARS, do everything different from me. I went through the motions doing passages thinking that by simply doing enough practice that I'd get better. I faceplanted on this section and walked away with a 122. The key is that you have to get fast at eliminating wrong answers. Not doing that is the mistake I made.

Members don't see this ad :)
@PlsLetMeIn21 That's great advice! I will definitely look into TBR. I want to test myself more. That was my personal downfall. I only did content review and only took 1 full exam and questions here and there. This second time around I want to aim for at least 510+. 132 is insane! I did not have problems with any content, I did poorly majorly because of lack of testing. Thanks again!

That's the thing, you have to practice over and over and over to improve. I think a lot of people watch videos and read content review and then jump to AAMC and UWorld thinking they're ready. I appreciated having passages be the focus of my early review and because I did do many questions from early on, I had an easy transtion to practice exams.