Best MCAT prep books for content *review*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellybean13

wiked
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a million threads on what books/programs are the best overall for each topic, but I am wondering specifically which are the best for content review for each subject - General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics and Biology?

Which would you say are the best for each review topic; TPR Hyperlearning, TBR, Kaplan, Examkrackers etc. ?

I would really appreciate everyone's feedback! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the Kaplan books did a good job of condensing the tested content into review books. Not the biggest fan of the class, but I did like their materials.

Here are the top picks for content review only:

The key to MCAT success is not content review, it's taking tons of timed practice passages and thoroughly reviewing those passages. If you really want an exact breakdown in terms of content review, it'd probably be something like this:

Bio: TPRH
O-chem: TPRH, a good number prefer BR
- In the past, more people preferred BR. Both TPRH and BR are probably about equal with style preference being a large factor.
Verbal: TPRH
- Verbal is basically entirely practice-based so this doesn't really count. For verbal practice, TPRH easily beats BR.
Gen chem: BR, some prefer TPRH
Physics: BR, some prefer TPRH

Again, you can't go wrong with either. For the money, BR is better because it contains practice passages which are vital for success and far more important than content review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump.... I what to know as well execpt I can not use TPR because I am going to take the course.. but want to study before I take the course.

I have EK for all subjects( I decided I am not going to use there physics review) and Nova for physics

Bump.... I what to know as well execpt I can not use TPR because I am going to take the course.. but want to study before I take the course.

I have EK for all subjects( I decided I am not going to use there physics review) and Nova for physics

EK is good enough for bio and orgo, and i found it perfectly fine for the first half of physics, but i thought their chapters on electricity/magnetism and optics were a little weak. The gchem book was pretty crappy too. Also the other problem with EK is not enough practice. The 30 min tests are kind of difficult in comparison to what normal MCAT passages look like, if you can get your hands on TBR you should do so, if only for the passage practice.

I just want content review.... I am planning to take a Princeton course but I want to start studying before I take the course.... so I am not concern with practice problems just content

Bio--EK
Orgo--Ek
Physics-Nova
Gen Chem--? suggestions

I just want content review.... I am planning to take a Princeton course but I want to start studying before I take the course.... so I am not concern with practice problems just content

Bio--EK
Orgo--Ek
Physics-Nova
Gen Chem--? suggestions

I'd suggest what probably everyone else will suggest for gen chem; TBR. There really is no other choice.

I think you're making a big mistake choosing just on review text because it comes down to the questions and how to answer them. I have nearly every review book there is :oops: and started early enough that I was able to work through the start of each one thoroughly to decide what would work best for me.

EK is good for bio, so you'll be fine there. It has succinct reviews (perhaps too light on some topics) and does a good job covering tough subjects. There are some typos, but if you know your stuff they won't bother you. I didn't like EK for organic. I prefer TBR over TPR, but both will do you right. TBR is wordier but has some great shortcuts and includes great bio examples. TPR is shorter but dryer and doesn't have tricks.

For physics, the old TBR book (2010 and earlier) is a little better than Nova. I broke down and bought new TBR physics books and I'm really glad I did. They kick butt over everything else, including their older books and Nova. For general chemistry it's TBR all the way. You have to read through it to know what I mean but it makes general chem easy and fun.

For verbal everyone recommends EK but I liked TPR better. I got the feeling EK was trying so hard to tell me they really know verbal that they didn't. I've read a few times that EK verbal hasn't changed since 2003, so I leaned towards TPR over EK.

The important thing is that you start early and get your review done with plenty of time to do practice tests.