Best MCAT prep books, in your opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tima

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you tell me the best prep books, in your opinion, for each section.

Physics
Biology
Verbal
Organic Chemistry

(i understand there are other forums about this, but time is changing, maybe people have different opinions now)

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

can you tell me the best prep books, in your opinion, for each section.

Physics
Biology
Verbal
Organic Chemistry

(i understand there are other forums about this, but time is changing, maybe people have different opinions now)

Thank you

Phys/Gen Chem: Berkeley Review
Orgo: EK (haven't tried Berkeley's)
Bio: Kaplan (haven't tried Berkeley's)

Physics: Princeton Review Cracking the MCAT

Bio and Orgo: Kaplan Comprehensive Review

Verbal: I didn't study for this

I also had the Examkrackers set...I felt it was great for review, but I needed to look to other sources for more in depth explanations.

Physics/Gen Chem: Berkeley Review by far the best text and answer explanations (second place is a distant one)

Biology: style dependent; depends on whether you need details or a cursory coverage

Verbal Reasoning: look for the quantity of passages, because practice is what really matters here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Physics/Gen Chem: Berkeley Review by far the best text and answer explanations (second place is a distant one)

Biology: style dependent; depends on whether you need details or a cursory coverage

Verbal Reasoning: look for the quantity of passages, because practice is what really matters here.

No offense, but do you teach for Berkeley Review? Seems like a "self" plug?

i used Kaplan for sciences and found them to be very good - enough details and explanations but not overwhelming and no useless stuff. Plus they note topics that are "MCAT Favorites"

I'm using EK for verbal - supposedly they're 101 passages are most similar to the actual MCATs

No offense, but do you teach for Berkeley Review? Seems like a "self" plug?

No offense taken... but is it so wrong to 100% believe in the materials I work with? For the longest time I've lurked and said nothing, but finally hit a point of figuring what the heck?, I might as well toss my two cents in. If someone thinks it's a plug, so what? As long as it's honest and doesn't attack anyone or anything, then it's fine.

If you knew me or our company philosophy, you'd know that if we say something is good, we are saying it not to promote but because we are incredibly proud. I've written materials for two companies and a medical school post-bacc program. I've been teaching for the MCAT for over fifteen years. I've learned a great deal about what students fear and where they make their common mistakes. We've developed our materials based on this feedback. At this point, I honestly believe that our physical sciences materials are the best out there. I can also say that there are a bunch of things I'd love to improve about it to make it even better. And I readily admit that our apporach is not for everyone. But average scores of more or less 10.2 to 11 since 1993 must mean it's working.

So perhaps you see it as a plug. From my moniker, it's easy to reach that opinion. But someone asked for an opinion on materials, so technically, isn't every response a plug? Do you believe I shouldn't express an opinion? I think all opinions should be expressed and leave it to the reader to make a choice, assuming they have one to make.

Even though I have Berkeley review books, I have never actually used them. But when I took my first MCAT (April 05), I immediately thought that actual mcat was similar to Berkeley review.

I am preparing to take MCAT for the second time. I have been using TPR for review. Right now I am pretty much done with review and just want to practice problems. I really like TPR science workbook. But I keep wondering if I should at least do the organic chemistry and biology practice passages from Berkeley review.

Any comments BerkReviewTeach? Please PM me if you don't want to write here directly. I really have great respect for BR people. They are not as commercial type as TPR or Kaplan folks. That's my own observation.

No offense taken... but is it so wrong to 100% believe in the materials I work with? For the longest time I've lurked and said nothing, but finally hit a point of figuring what the heck?, I might as well toss my two cents in. If someone thinks it's a plug, so what? As long as it's honest and doesn't attack anyone or anything, then it's fine.

If you knew me or our company philosophy, you'd know that if we say something is good, we are saying it not to promote but because we are incredibly proud. I've written materials for two companies and a medical school post-bacc program. I've been teaching for the MCAT for over fifteen years. I've learned a great deal about what students fear and where they make their common mistakes. We've developed our materials based on this feedback. At this point, I honestly believe that our physical sciences materials are the best out there. I can also say that there are a bunch of things I'd love to improve about it to make it even better. And I readily admit that our apporach is not for everyone. But average scores of more or less 10.2 to 11 since 1993 must mean it's working.

So perhaps you see it as a plug. From my moniker, it's easy to reach that opinion. But someone asked for an opinion on materials, so technically, isn't every response a plug? Do you believe I shouldn't express an opinion? I think all opinions should be expressed and leave it to the reader to make a choice, assuming they have one to make.

To the OP, i think the general concensus is that EK has the best review material. I have the EK audio osmosis and i go to sleep with it every night....i'm an EK-sexual....get it.....? Don't know if it is working but i'll let you know when i take the test. I am planning on doing their mcat study schedule twice through. Twenty weeks.

Berkeley Review definitely plugged. They get an A for effort though....and yes, technically every recommendation is a plug. Damn analytical thinkers, must teach PS!!! LMAO.

For Physics: EK
Orgo: EK
Bio: Kaplan
Verbal: Kaplan (EK has some good ideas, but Kaplan's in-book pratice exams I felt were better)

I didn't try out any other books (TPR or Berkley) so I can't vouch for those.

Is there any other place to get BR books other than direct? The shipping seems quite expensive for a pair of books, and I'd like it if I were able to pick it up at a nearby store. Oh well. I'm quite intrigued by the BR books, as I've been using Kaplan class books that I bought off a friend a long with EK manuals checked out from the library.. if it's considered by some to be significantly better than the others for PS, I owe it to myself to check it out.

Berkeley Review definitely plugged. They get an A for effort though.

I do not deny that I 100% believe in the materials. I helped generate them (along with about thirty others), so why shouldn't I believe in them? It's more an issue of pride, not a plug. Wouldn't it be disconcerting if I didn't believe in them? As I mentioned, I have written for two commercial course and a medical school post-bacc program. In that time, I have noticed that most students have similar misconceptions and stresses when they study for this exam. The perspective from which our materials are written is from that of a teacher. That's why we explain things in our answer explanations so thoroughly and include test strategies in almost every answer.

Just because we don't advertise at every turn, and we enjoy being small and personal, most people don't know about our stuff. That's life. I'm just proud that the people who do use them enjoy them and get very good scores. That's what matters. You aren't one of those people, so this exchange is really rather irrelevent.

Even though I have Berkeley review books, I have never actually used them. But when I took my first MCAT (April 05), I immediately thought that actual mcat was similar to Berkeley review.

I am preparing to take MCAT for the second time. I have been using TPR for review. Right now I am pretty much done with review and just want to practice problems. I really like TPR science workbook. But I keep wondering if I should at least do the organic chemistry and biology practice passages from Berkeley review.

Any comments BerkReviewTeach? Please PM me if you don't want to write here directly. I really have great respect for BR people. They are not as commercial type as TPR or Kaplan folks. That's my own observation.

First off, thanks for the kind words. I sincerely hope we are never viewed as commercial. And I also hope our passages mimick the real exam as best they can.

As for suggestions, my general opinion is this:

Each MCAT is written by twenty-one different people (assuming each passage has a different author). As such, you should prepare for the exam by exposing yourself to as many different passages as you can. Given that you already have the books, you should try as many passages as you can fit into your schedule. Forget reading text at this juncture, because it's all about how you attack passages and answer questions. Maybe try three passages from each section in our books (ten sections in the biology and eight sections in the organic chemistry). Choose the passages randomly. Mix these in with passages from whatever other sources you have available.

The goal is to generate a simulation of the actual exam, especially the randomness of it. On the BS section, you will find that there are a bunch of experiments and that they are testing logic more than memorized information.

That said, if I had limited time, I would focus on the following sections of the biology and orgo books:

Heart and lung physiology, kidney physiology, organic chemistry lab techniques, carbonyls, and carbohydrates. Those are the key sections that will give you the greatest reward. If you want more details on why I suggest those, PM me.

was it just my exam or is it a commonly seen phenomenom that physio is less emphasized on the real mcats than genetics and lab experiments involving bacteria and crazy stuff about development and determination.