Best MCAT prep method?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doublefrick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think works best? Kaplan, EK, Princeton Review, etc? I like Kaplan, but have taken this twice now and NEED a 30+ to justify another retake. Thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think works best? Kaplan, EK, Princeton Review, etc? I like Kaplan, but have taken this twice now and NEED a 30+ to justify another retake. Thoughts? Thanks!

1. What study material you have on hand?

2. When is your test day?

3. The 3rd time on Kaplan? Do you need to pay for this round? Wow :eek:

4. Are you aware of a lot of folks focus on the SN2ed plan & its material recommend, aren't you :p?

What do you think works best?

It depends on your location, because teacher quality will vary from site to site. This question is best asked on people who have taken courses at the exact location where you'd be taking classes.

The best materials ratings have been hashed out and posted quite often. You can find exactly what you want to know with a targeted search.

I used EK books with audio tapes. Either way you go, you have to be willing to sit down and really study the materials (take notes and such).
I suggest you view the MCAT 30+ thread and see what others have used.

But yeah, for me... definitely EK. Studied a good amount for one month and pulled a 32. Of course I had been studying lightly before that one month.

*Take a lot of practice tests

Members don't see this ad :)
1. What study material you have on hand?

2. When is your test day?

3. The 3rd time on Kaplan? Do you need to pay for this round? Wow :eek:

4. Are you aware of a lot of folks focus on the SN2ed plan & its material recommend, aren't you :p?

I have EK 1001s on hand. The Kaplan books from my last class, and also the Kaplan premier, which requires no class. Obviously, I would not be paying for a course. Test date: aiming for June 21, possibly July 2.

What is SN2Ed?

Is this what you used? How did it work for you? Did you use BR? I have never used it before...

The plan is tight & unforgiving.

The #1 trick is DO NOT under-estimate outside distraction. Like most of the people, you will end up needing more time than the "perfect" plan. Factoring some extra time when you plan.

The #2 trick is Plan early, patience and stay focus; stop any other temptation that "screw up" your schedule.

I spent a day to map out a modified plan based on our schedule & dive in to it. So far so good. (Actually, for your info, I am helping my son who will be at the 3/24 test. Yes, I am suffering here for him :mad:). BR is good if you are patient and have time. But that is my opinion. A lot of folks in this forum thought BR is a over kill on MCAT.

Spend some time & patiently go through the Sticky from SN2ed. I am sure you have question just like everybody who have gone through. Ask questions. There are many very knowledgeable SDNers who can help you.

Best wishes :)

Last edited:
The plan is tight & unforgiving.

The #1 trick is DO NOT under-estimate outside distraction. Like most of the people, you will end up needing more time than the "perfect" plan. Factoring some extra time when you plan.

The #2 trick is Plan early, patience and stay focus; stop any other temptation that "screw up" your schedule.

I spent a day to map out a modified plan based on our schedule & dive in to it. So far so good. (Actually, for your info, I am helping my son who will be at the 3/24 test. Yes, I am suffering here for him :mad:). BR is good if you are patient and have time. But that is my opinion. A lot of folks in this forum thought BR is a over kill on MCAT.

Spend some time & patiently go through the Sticky from SN2ed. I am sure you have question just like everybody who have gone through. Ask questions. There are many very knowledgeable SDNers who can help you.

Best wishes :)

Sorry...new to SDN...what exactly do you mean by sticky? And best of luck to your son!!!

Sorry...new to SDN...what exactly do you mean by sticky? And best of luck to your son!!!

Thanks! Yes, 16 days & counting :mad: 3/24 :sleep:

I am lousy in language. If I take MCAT now, my VB will be 3 :p

I am not sure the original of forum using the word "sticky". Some other smart MCATers may want to comment.

As the word implies > adhesive like glue.

In the real sense, I guess :D it means permanent thread like something stay there all the time and would not move.

When you access SDN MCAT Discussion sub-forum, the top of the front page has 6 "sticky" threads. They stay there all the time for all MCATers to see and access all the time; not like other "common" threads that aged and get push down to some where at older pages. If you want to access those threads, you HAVE to hunt for it, they will not "appear" right in front of you. The "Sticky" do.

OK, you can see why I will get 3 in VB:p

Encourage you to take the time at least understanding the approach & related well research material of the SN2ed plan. You will not regret. :thumbup:

Thanks! Yes, 16 days & counting :mad: 3/24 :sleep:

I am lousy in language. If I take MCAT now, my VB will be 3 :p

I am not sure the original of forum using the word "sticky". Some other smart MCATers may want to comment.

As the word implies > adhesive like glue.

In the real sense, I guess :D it means permanent thread like something stay there all the time and would not move.

When you access SDN MCAT Discussion sub-forum, the top of the front page has 6 "sticky" threads. They stay there all the time for all MCATers to see and access all the time; not like other "common" threads that aged and get push down to some where at older pages. If you want to access those threads, you HAVE to hunt for it, they will not "appear" right in front of you. The "Sticky" do.

OK, you can see why I will get 3 in VB:p

Encourage you to take the time at least understanding the approach & related well research material of the SN2ed plan. You will not regret. :thumbup:

Got it. Thanks for all your help!