Best MCAT Review Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay16942

the milk's gone bad...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do people think the best MCAT review course is? I am in Los Angeles, so my options are TPR, Kaplan and Berkeley. I hear a lot about Berkeley, but I would have to drive across town 4 times a week if I took it. Is it worth it? If not, I'm considering Kaplan, especially because the schedule works out best for me, although I know TPR has more class time...

Members don't see this ad.

yea really, which program is more reputable - Princeton or Kaplan? I've always heard they're pretty analagous, but that's such a sham of an answer. :confused:
____________________________________________________University of Missouri-Columbia
MIZZOU TIGERS!

Well, this is my opnion on the matter.

I took Kaplan last year and I really didn't enjoy what they had to offer now that I can compare it to Princeton.

With Kaplan we had 3 lectures per subject (or something close to that). Everything was crammed into a 3 hour block from 6 to 9 pm. We were not aloud to run over on time, especially if we had questions because they HAD to close the center at 9:15pm the latest. We ran into that problem often because the majority of us still had questions about the material.
With princeton we have 3 times as many lessons per subject. We just finished physics lesson 4. And from what I can remember is that what took us 9-10 hours todo (kaplan material didn't go as far as we did in lesson 4), we were forced todo in 3 hours at kaplan and with my kaplan instructor it sometimes was less than that and asking him questions was worthless because the only response we ever got was "just because".
I just feel that we are able to discuss things with princeton and have the time to spend extra time on things that we have a harder time grasping.

As for materials, I dont see much of a difference. Kaplan has the whole library but, at least for me, is that many of the items we could checked out with the plastic sheeves were marked up with pen and you could always see the work someone had done before. Additionally you have the instruction videos which weren't that great to make up for the deficiences of the class room instruction. Plus the equipment for watching them seemed run down as some of them lacked forward or reverse buttons if you wanted to rewatch something. And it became very busy and hard to get signed up for a tv/video to watch the video. They allowed people to bring their own TV/VCR combos to the center but it made the study room very distracting and annoying when you hear the voices of each video in your area speaking because the user always has the volume up too high and the whine of the tapes as they are being rewound. It got to me quickly.
The one good thing about the Kaplan library is that you had access to all the AAMC tests and all the kaplan tests. But again unless they gave you a copy of the test to keep, the test was always marked up with ink.

I dont believe that Princeton gives you less or inferior materials. What they do give you is all the practice materials so you can do them wherever you are comfortable. The kaplan books I had just had a few discrete questions at the end of each chapter. With Kaplan you have to go to the center to get access to the passage based questions.

Finally, I think the princeton books are better than the Kaplan books. Kaplan basically throws everything at you and tells you to memorize it. But overall I think the Examkracker books are probably the best. I haven't seen any other prep books to comment on those.

I think the verbal strategy that both companies preach are crap. But if it works for some people then who am I to argue about it. It hasn't felt well with me and I sometimes clash over it with my verbal instructor in class. I adhere more towards the EK strategy as I understand it is success through simplicity, generally speaking.

This is just the experience I had. On the whole Ive been much happier with Princeton than I ever was with Kaplan. The quality of teaching seems to be better with them too, but that is more of a regional thing than a knock against the program.

I can't recommend which is better for you. Im happy with the choice I made and I believe I will see it pay off in April.

I recently bought the Berkeley stuff and the information seems to be better written than PR course stuff or Kaplan Comprehensive, which I have as well. It's more detailed and fits my personality. Do a search on Berkeley and some others tend to agree. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by jay16942
What do people think the best MCAT review course is? I am in Los Angeles, so my options are TPR, Kaplan and Berkeley. I hear a lot about Berkeley, but I would have to drive across town 4 times a week if I took it. Is it worth it? If not, I'm considering Kaplan, especially because the schedule works out best for me, although I know TPR has more class time...

A good friend of mine took Berkeley Review in Berkeley and really got a lot out of it. He got above a 39 on the MCAT. He thought the instructors and the material were great. It was a lot of class but if you went, paid attention and did ALL of ther homework they assigned, he claimed you would do well on the test. He said the practice tests, especially at first, tended to be harder than the MCAT so not to get discouraged. He had taken just the minimum basic sciences at Cal and really thought that the course helped him a lot. I know he highly recommends the class to everyone who asks him. I know this is 2nd hand info but hopefully it will be of some help. Maybe try posting to see if anyone on here had taken Berkeley Review in L.A. and can give you advice on that location's class. Good luck :)

anyone from the east coast? my friends on the west coast says tpr is the best there, but my friends here says kaplan is the best. im planning to take mcat this summer and i think im gonna take mcat courses with either tpr or kaplan

anyone from the east coast? my friends on the west coast says tpr is the best there, but my friends here says kaplan is the best. im planning to take mcat this summer and i think im gonna take mcat courses with either tpr or kaplan

TPR is a little bit better than kaplan.

I would recommend studying on your own. Using a variety of resources will be the biggest help to you! I scored a 522 and mainly used the following resources:

1) AAMC Practice Materials. $200 for their MCAT package. Practice questions produced by the same people who wrote the test!

(2) Khan Academy. Free and very useful for reviewing all the material very quickly. I watched every video at 2x the speed within a month of my exam.

(3) Kaplan 7-book series. Great for getting the overall content down.

Don't rely on just one method for your prep. It is important to use a variety of resources. If you need structure, then I would suggest hiring a private tutor rather than using a prep company. You can find freelance tutors for a quarter of what test prep companies charge for private tutoring. I am sure there are many other tutors out there as well! Best of luck!

Last edited: