Best MD Programs for International Study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coconutts

Reaction score
Hello,

International study is something incredibly important to me, and I would love to be able to do work/study abroad during medical school. I was wondering if anyone knew of the best medical school programs for this. I have found that Weill Cornell Medicine is very strong in this facet (Weill Cornell Students | International Programs), but this is also a very competitive school so I want to create a list of medical colleges that have similarly stellar opportunities for international study. Another school I found is USyd Medical College, which offers rotations in rural areas around the world. This also looks wonderful, but with the risk of an international MD program I do not know if it is best to include on my list.

So, I was hoping you all could help me by providing me with schools that you know have these type of international opportunities. Please provide me any schools you know of that are strong in international programs! Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

https://students-residents.aamc.org...article/vslo-home-participating-institutions/

This isn't perfect, but schools on this list participating in the global network are likely to be internationally focused to at least some extent. But you really have to do your own research--Tufts, for example, does not participate but has a strong global health program created in-house. Schools affiliated with undergraduate programs with a strong international component might also have good global health/opportunities for study abroad (GWU and Tufts both come to mind).

Keep in mind, though, that most applicants get into 0 or 1 schools, meaning that applying to schools where you'd be a good candidate is more important than applying to only schools that for example offer international rotations. You could plan to do research/volunteering abroad during the summer after M1, or try to set up an international rotation for one of your electives, and even if nothing else works out, there are residency programs that have international components as well. So if you have a background with international study it might make you a good match for a school with a strong international program but if not the most important thing is to apply to schools that have a good stats and fit match.

Reactions: 1 user
https://students-residents.aamc.org...article/vslo-home-participating-institutions/

This isn't perfect, but schools on this list participating in the global network are likely to be internationally focused to at least some extent. But you really have to do your own research--Tufts, for example, does not participate but has a strong global health program created in-house. Schools affiliated with undergraduate programs with a strong international component might also have good global health/opportunities for study abroad (GWU and Tufts both come to mind).

Keep in mind, though, that most applicants get into 0 or 1 schools, meaning that applying to schools where you'd be a good candidate is more important than applying to only schools that for example offer international rotations. You could plan to do research/volunteering abroad during the summer after M1, or try to set up an international rotation for one of your electives, and even if nothing else works out, there are residency programs that have international components as well. So if you have a background with international study it might make you a good match for a school with a strong international program but if not the most important thing is to apply to schools that have a good stats and fit match.

Thank you for the link! And yes, I do know that most applicants get into 0 or 1. I think that having an international presence shows that the school holds similar values to mine, as international experience is a top priority for me. My entire junior year will be abroad, and I am majoring in a Russian. I want to compile a list of medical schools to apply to that I would genuinely want to go to, and not just apply for a ton of schools hoping to get into one so that I can be a doctor. I can set myself up as best as possible, set up a list of schools (most of which have an international presence) and if I do not get in anywhere, then try again for the next cycle. Of course eventually being a doctor is the top priority, but going to a school that shares my values is important, because it is four years of my life after-all. Yes, I should apply for schools that I am a good candidate for, but I similarly should apply for schools that are good candidates for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to compile a list of medical schools to apply to that I would genuinely want to go to, and not just apply for a ton of schools hoping to get into one so that I can be a doctor. I can set myself up as best as possible, set up a list of schools (most of which have an international presence) and if I do not get in anywhere, then try again for the next cycle.
May I recommend an alternative strategy?
When your have maximized the variables in your control (MCAT, EC's...), identify all the schools that might interview you. Apply to a sufficient number of these (factoring in important factors outside your control e.g. State of Residence).
If you have multiple acceptances (about 20% of the pool), choose between them based on factors like the one you list here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
May I recommend an alternative strategy?
When your have maximized the variables in your control (MCAT, EC's...), identify all the schools that might interview you. Apply to a sufficient number of these (factoring in important factors outside your control e.g. State of Residence).
If you have multiple acceptances (about 20% of the pool), choose between them based on factors like the one you list here.

I am not a sciences major, so every "pre-medical" course I take is an elective. I want to get an idea of schools I would want to go to so I can check their specific course requirements. I want to go to a school that holds a mission that aligns with mine.

I want to go to a school that holds a mission that aligns with mine.
Yes, we all do.
You will not know if you are an otherwise good candidate for any of your mission-aligned schools until you have an MCAT score (among other things!).
Work on making yourself the best possible candidate (for any school) and the odds that you will "mission-mesh" will go up.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Yes, we all do.
You will not know if you are an otherwise good candidate for any of your mission-aligned schools until you have an MCAT score (among other things!).
Work on making yourself the best possible candidate (for any school) and the odds that you will "mission-mesh" will go up.
I know that. That doesn't mean I shouldn't ask about what schools align with my mission. I can still have goals and dreams.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
dream and goal one should be getting into medical school
60% who apply get rejected
20% get accepted to a single medical school
20% get more than a single acceptance

Your first-self screening has to be GPA and MCAT score and then targeting schools that fit that criteria. Medical schools want to first make sure you have the requisite academic ability and skillset to complete medical education before considering your other qualities

With all due respect, I am well aware of this. I posted this thread asking what people thought were the best schools for international rotations/study, not to ask if it is worthwhile having target schools this early. I am pursuing my academic requirements, but to be candid that is not relevant to my question and even if I had a 2.0 GPA I can still come on here to ask about this. This entire thread reads as cynical. I am not asking about admission chances, I simply asked about internationally strong schools. With that being said, are you aware of any medical schools that are particularly strong in international cooperation?

With all due respect, you need to have your GPA and MCAT scores first to examine which medical schools you have a shot at and then examine their missions, international options, etc. doing research in he opposite direction in inefficient at best

Then I suppose I am inefficient. I enjoy doing research and looking into schools it helps me stay motivated. It is none of your business how I complete my undergrad years. I am asking a specific question about internationally strong schools, not asking for general admission advice.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Then I suppose I am inefficient. I enjoy doing research and looking into schools it helps me stay motivated. It is none of your business how I complete my undergrad years. I am asking a specific question about internationally strong schools, not asking for general admission advice.
On SDN, a) we're trying to actually help you, and b) we tend to have a low tolerance for magic thinking.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
On SDN, a) we're trying to actually help you, and b) we tend to have a low tolerance for magic thinking.

Asking "what schools have the strongest international programs?" is not "magic thinking" it is a question. I never said I expected to get into the schools that one could name. If I needed help with the GPA/MCAT stuff I would have asked for that.

Asking "what schools have the strongest international programs?" is not "magic thinking" it is a question. I never said I expected to get into the schools that one could name. If I needed help with the GPA/MCAT stuff I would have asked for that.
Asking the question when you haven't set foot on a med school campus is.

Getting triggered in an anonymous internet forum doesn't bode well either.

EDIT: I see that you have learned nothing in the past six months

Last edited:
  • Haha
This is the weirdest line of critique on a post. OP was just asking about what schools have an opportunity that they may one day be interested in. You don't need to have a completely built application to have a look at schools that excite you and that you will work towards applying to one day. While it's true that most matriculants only get into 1 school and I agree with keeping those stats in mind, there's still value in looking at schools that meet your interests so that when you do apply, you can build them into your list, even if they're the reach schools.

To OP, I agree with Wolvvs post. Also have a look at schools that have a prominent graduate school of public/global health, it may make it easier to collaborate and get involved in global health opportunities.

There is also this SDN post from 2016: Best Medical Schools for Global Health

I'd also advise you to look at MSAR, which includes a stat for each school about what percentage of students participate in a global health experience during their studies (see below).

1582797457816.png

Lastly, for the most part you won't have an opportunity to do something as extensive as "study abroad" like in undergrad. But there may be opportunities to do research abroad for shorter periods of time; summer after M1 seems to be popular for this. For some schools that have scholarly concentrations in global health, it may even be mandatory for those in the concentration. Re: USyd, if you want to practice in the US, attend a US med school.

To echo others, don't get caught up on exactly one school because the odds of getting into any one school is very low, for any applicant, but it's also okay to have dreams of going to a school that meets your interests.

Last edited:
  • Love

Schools affiliated with undergraduate programs with a strong international component might also have good global health/opportunities for study abroad (GWU and Tufts both come to mind).

can't speak for tufts but I know for a fact that george washington has a good amount of study abroad opportunities for med students (I believe something like 1/3 of their med students end up going abroad at some point).

• Love
If what you're interested in is Global Health type stuff, definitely second looking at schools with strong public health programs. I'm in an MD/MPH program and a lot of my classmates did projects abroad as part of our required field experience. Many schools also have medical missions/international rotations you can participate in. You may also want to consider regions of interest - some of the Florida schools, for example, have strong ties to the Caribbean and central/south america, but you may not get to practice your Russian much if you go there.

If what you're interested in is the more traditional "study abroad" experience, you may not find exactly that in medical school. you don't really have the flexibility in your curriculum to go study elsewhere for a long period, except maybe if you arrange it as a research year.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all! Looking into these programs gets me excited, keeps me motivated and helps me get a gauge of which pre-reqs are most important to complete. I appreciate the support! :)