Best meal replacement to stuff in your white coat while on busy rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Keep FRUIT on you. It's not enough sugar to make you prediabetic and it's got enough nutrients to keep you going. I also absolutely concur with the previous posters who said that KEEP THE SUGAR OUT and eat more fat. I am a bit of a hypocrite in this as I occasionally indulge myself in a Mountain Dew every few days or so but on the wards (currently on FM so not completely crazy) I carry a simple banana in my pocket and that's usually enough.

I'd recommend a multivitamin a day as well to keep your body's metabolic systems running at full speed.

Members don't see this ad.

For the calorie-conscious, i have found the "pure protein" bars have the highest protein to calorie ratio (20g protein/180-200cals) of any snack bars. Protein keeps me fuller for much longer than the equivalent in carbs. Cliffs bars taste good but are mostly sugar.

Lara bars have a couple ingredients each and are great tasting- I usually take about 1 bite per hour so it keeps my glycemic index pretty even. The amazing tasting cherry bar has dried cherries, dates, and almonds- nothing else!

I second Lara Bars! They are all very good. I keep them in my white coat pockets and bag to prevent me from starving or going to the candy machine. Cherry is also my favorite!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I carry a simple banana in my pocket and that's usually enough..
Doctor is that a banana in your pocket or...:banana:

Does anyone keep a bottle of water in their coat? Our school sent us out to offices for 4 hours every other week the first two years and I would usually have water on me. I don't know if this is practical or a good idea for a hospital setting though.

If you haven't mastered jumping into the pantries on the floor by the second month of clerkships...

Need a drink?... water/juice/coffee/tea in the pantry
Need a snack?... Graham crackers, peanut butter, popsicles

Don't have the access codes?... bribe a nurse...

Why carry around more than you need to?-- I carry a protein supplement, but find myself hopping into the pantry on w/e floor I'm on more often than not...

If you haven't mastered jumping into the pantries on the floor by the second month of clerkships...

Need a drink?... water/juice/coffee/tea in the pantry
Need a snack?... Graham crackers

I second this. I'm also a cheapskate. Just don't overdo it, because you'll ruin it for the rest of us.

I also carry a bag of dried banana chips. (this is my cocaine) I get it in bulk for super cheap, then package them in sandwich bags for later. bata bing, bata boom.