Best Medical School Extracurriculars...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G_Eagle

MS4 -> R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I want to be part of the UT-Southwestern marching band! Blue and White are the best colors for any team in the world. During school intermurals, we'll kick the other team's butt with our dominating force of a band (even if we don't win on the field).

One of the major factors for my getting into school was probably my expert years spent playing the clarinet in the high school and then college band. I got honors in "no tripping" and high pass in "marches with his head level." Maybe I didn't dot the Ohio State I or march in unison with the Fightin Texas Aggie band...but in the spirit of the Army, I was a band of one! One fightin, mean, clarinet player.

Awww...who am I kidding...

UTSW chess club is gonna rock!

Members don't see this ad.

And I think the failure of US News to factor in the true strenght of a medical school's sports is its fatal flaw! ESPN already has preseason polls projecting UTSW in the top 25.

Their whole analysis of the recruiting classes this year is pretty good. All I know is that UTSW threw academics out the window in regards to their standards. It was all about bicep circumfrence and running the 40. (I do a 4.2, thanks for asking)

So where are all the blue chips going? ESPN will post that next week. It's under the "Other college sports" section. Look for DIVISION III-M (the medical school division)...

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is like Pauly Shore...people just wish it was never created.

Hey I played the clarinet for almost ten years :)

Originally posted by G_Eagle
And I think the failure of US News to factor in the true strenght of a medical school's sports is its fatal flaw! ESPN already has preseason polls projecting UTSW in the top 25.

I'm torn as to who I'm going for in the annual Red River Medical School Shootout this October. New school vs. Old school. Oh, wait, I know, BOOMER SOONER!!! :D

OU is ranked #3 in the ESPN preseason poll, BTW.

Gosh, I hadn't thought about that before....How do you handle torn allegiances? What was the call that drew you south? I'll bet it was the aggressive recruiting tactics.

One time, at band camp I stuck my clarinet up my...

Gosh, I hadn't thought about that before....How do you handle torn allegiances? What was the call that drew you south? I'll bet it was the aggressive recruiting tactics.

Indeed it was. I made my recruiting visit the night of the Oktoberfest party, so I was offered FREE brats! You can't pass that up, man, so I was sold. There isn't a better indicator of med school awesomeness than free brats AND an Oktoberfest band with lederhosen and all.

Wait...I was there too...seriously....were we in the same interview group....hmm...October 4th...right? I think that was when that happened...

I hate to break it to you, but med schools have changed policies regarding how much band experience counts! Apparently, the new thing is underwater basket weaving. With 8 years experience, no wonder I got in! Oh, and blue and white are dismal colors! I heard we might change them to maroon. Geez, with these kind of sources, I should work for the CIA!

Oh, and also, I called US NEWS and world and they agreed that next year, extracurricular activities will move up to count for 86% of a school's score....carib schools, here we come!

Wait...I was there too...seriously....were we in the same interview group....hmm...October 4th...right? I think that was when that happened...

Yep, I was there! Remember me? I was the one in the black suit and the tie. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by soonerpillow
Yep, I was there! Remember me? I was the one in the black suit and the tie. :D
Holy Cow! That sounds very familiar! Awesome, I thought you weren't going to make it because you were so short. It must have been your vertical that got you in. I guess MS0 is going to run like the Combine. We'll have to go through drills so they can decide our positions and what string we are on. Good luck!

Originally posted by NitoVerde
I hate to break it to you, but med schools have changed policies regarding how much band experience counts! Apparently, the new thing is underwater basket weaving.
I think you are just worried because you never played in band. I'll bet even the cymbals were a challenge for you. That's ok. Maybe you can play a harmonica or something....or just hum in the back...

BoomerSooner, I wouldn't worry too much about the whole Red River Shootout. Sure, Southwestern is part of the Texas system, but I don't think that going there makes you a longhorn. Of course, this is coming from an Aggie.

For M0 day they said "casual". Is this their code word for athletic clothing? Should I bring my cleats and tights?

"Sports Casual," I believe. Leave your cleats at home, if you want me to burn you on the field! :laugh:

Originally posted by TTSD
One time, at band camp I stuck my clarinet up my...

up between your cheeks, right where it belongs, of course!:D

Originally posted by Bad Mojo
BoomerSooner, I wouldn't worry too much about the whole Red River Shootout. Sure, Southwestern is part of the Texas system, but I don't think that going there makes you a longhorn. Of course, this is coming from an Aggie.

Good deal. I guess if an Aggie can go to a UT school, so can a Sooner.

Of course, I'll be representin' the Crimson and Cream in the Fall. Unless we have to play them in intermural foosball or something.

Holy Cow! That sounds very familiar! Awesome, I thought you weren't going to make it because you were so short. It must have been your vertical that got you in. I guess MS0 is going to run like the Combine. We'll have to go through drills so they can decide our positions and what string we are on. Good luck!

Yeah, you better watch out, buddy! Especially if you're trying out for the men's foosball team. You will be owned.

That new student center should be great! I used to kick butt at foosball, but I have not played in a long time. Spins or no spins? Goalie scores count as two? These are the important questions that we shall ponder....hmm....

I'm betting that sleep becomes demoted EC in medical school :p

Sleep will become a thing of the past in medical school....replaced by naps and snoozes....