Best medical university in Poland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bozidar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm planning on going to Poland for a research exchange program.
I need to choose between a couple of cities (medical universities),so I would like to know which of these universities are the best.
(By best I mean best reputation,a lot of English speakers,good relationships with students,especially foreign ones,etc...)
Help me pick 3 cites: (I was thinking Warsaw,Krakow and one more)
Jagellonian University of Krakow (Krakow)
Medical University of Bialystok (Bialystok)
Medical University of Bydgoszcz (Bydgoszcz)
Medical University of Gdansk (Gdansk)
Medical University of Lodz (Lodz)
Medical University of Lublin (Lublin)
Medical University of Poznan (Poznan)
Medical University of Silesia (Katowice, Zabrze)
Medical University of Szczecin (Szczecin)
Medical University of Warszawa (Warszawa)
Medical University of Wroclaw (Wroclaw)
University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Faculty of Medicine (OLSZTYN)

Members don't see this ad.

If you ask me Jag is definitely the most prestigious out of all of them. I'm not too familiar with the rest but if I had to pick a second it would probably be the medical school of warsaw. Can't really pick a 3rd, not familiar enough with the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medstart108 - and you know this how exactly ? ;) Iam polish and currently a medical student (not at JAG and btw its the first time I come across this abbreviation; if you want to be understood in Poland I dont think you should ever use it :D).
If you ask me Jag is definitely the most prestigious out of all of them. I'm not too familiar with the rest but if I had to pick a second it would probably be the medical school of warsaw. Can't really pick a 3rd, not familiar enough with the rest.

Its the oldest university in Poland, and one of the oldest in Europe. The faculty is supposedly top notch.

I don't know if any of you guys are studying in Poland or something but the 'oldest university' argument is invalid from my point of view ; The things like reputation etc my be viewed very differently from country to country ; saying that you are studying at Jagiellonian University would hardly impress anybody outside of Poland for obvious reasons and even less so in Poland. I understand that people in US may be used to taking reputation factor into account while applying to university but it hardly ever matters in Poland (at least for courses like medicine I don't want to generalize).

Last edited:
I see how it is, yeah its really only countries like the US and UK that try to rank unis and generally for medicine reputation doesn't matter. I think though yimek, while most people will never have heard of any polish universities, if they knew a little bit they would automatically assume Jagiellonian to be the best just because it is the oldest by a long shot.

The only two that are pertinent if you care at all about practicing in the states are Jag and Poznan. Out of the two I would suggest Jag as their English program is taught by some of the most well known professors in the entire country (as far as medicine is concerned). Warsawa is ok but in all actuality Warsaw is a terrible city, basically a 1950s communist wet dream, so it'd be boring to live there. And as far as prestige is concerned between the universities Jag definitely has a reputation. Poznan works very hard at getting their students to the US after graduating and has an advantage or two over Jag, like not having to follow the NY 12 week rule.

Reactions: 1 user