Best method to learn microbiology and immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school wants me to use Medical Microbiology (Murray) and Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System (Abbas).
Are they the best books to learn these subjects? I made a search and there seems to be no agreement on which books are the best.

What review books should I be reading at the same time (so I can be familiar with them when I study for USMLE Step 1)?
I’m getting CMMRS but I need an immunology source as well.
Is HY Immuno good? It seems to have many unnecessary topics.
What about Lange Micro and Immuno (Levinson)? Is this recommended for Step 1 or only for learning the material the first time?
RR Immuno? Any other source?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I used Basic Immunology by Abbas and the Lange Micro and Immuno Review by Levinson. I supplemented these with CMMRS (for the microbiology) as it had good visual aids and diagrams to help memorize relevant details. I think these trio are a powerful combination. Levinson has many USMLE-style questions at the end of the book (a whole bunch!) which is great review; also, the chapters are short and to the point. Abbas is solely an immuno book and was a really good read. Not as concise as Levinson's immuno section but very thorough. We didn't use a hardcore Microbio textbok b/c the department prepared a notebook for us.

My school wants me to use Medical Microbiology (Murray) and Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System (Abbas).
Are they the best books to learn these subjects? I made a search and there seems to be no agreement on which books are the best.

What review books should I be reading at the same time (so I can be familiar with them when I study for USMLE Step 1)?
What about Lange Micro and Immuno (Levinson)? Is this recommended for Step 1 or only for learning the material the first time?

Thanks

Thanks

Overkill with trying to use review books while you are going through the coursework. The best prep for USMLE Step I is your coursework period. After you have learned the material, you can then review it within the context of the other subjects that you have studied.

You can't "review" what you haven't "learned" in the first place. Master your coursework first and then review.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Overkill with trying to use review books while you are going through the coursework. The best prep for USMLE Step I is your coursework period. After you have learned the material, you can then review it within the context of the other subjects that you have studied.

You can't "review" what you haven't "learned" in the first place. Master your coursework first and then review.

Actually some of the courses in med school are recommending/requiring books that are board review books. For example, my histology course is recommending BRS Histology and Cell Biology book, and the prof gives reading assignments from this book to read before class. The prof even recommends students to use FA for the histo pictures the book provides. Also, I use BRS Anatomy to supplement my core notes and atlas for my Gross Anatomy class.

OP: For micro, I recommend Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple. Some 2nd year students told me they used this book instead of the recommended text (which is also Medical Microbiology) for our micro portion. For Immuno, the Abbas book "Basic Immunology" is an outstanding book since it is small and concise.

Clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple

Some of the diagrams/mnemonics are a bit silly, but its got everything you need to honor your class and its organized great.

CMMRS is good, I never used it. I used Rapid review's Immuno and Micro. I never used, but wished I had, First Aid for USMLE Step 1. If you have to cram the bugs and drugs, do it with first aid, then when you're reading first aid, you'll be familiar with the mnemonics that text suggests for the board.

I also agree with the previous post about mastering the coursework. Your syllabus is a good place to start. Learn what's required for your exam. If there's time, read the review books. Maybe check first aid for mnemonics that are appropriate before trying to make your own.... I did some flashcards for micro, too. But I made my own...

<shrug>

Janeway is a grad student book. Way too much for immuno. We use Coico 5th edition (A short course) book. Made for medical school. I've liked it so far. (Test is Monday so we will see). Though they test us on the syllabus rather than books or anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Lange and CMMRS with Kuby as a reference.

What is the best textbook for micro? Is there anything better than Medical Micro (Murray)? (I’m going to use Medical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple as a complement)

For immuno I’m probably getting Abbas or Parham based on what I read in the forum archives. Any suggestions on which one is the best?

What is the best Step 1 review source for immuno? There seems to be no real agreement on this one.

Janeway is a grad student book. Way too much for immuno. We use Coico 5th edition (A short course) book. Made for medical school. I've liked it so far. (Test is Monday so we will see). Though they test us on the syllabus rather than books or anything.

I am about 1/3 of the way into Janeway, and your right. It does seem like overkill with detail. Our course follows it closely though, so I don't have a lot of choice in the matter.

I am about 1/3 of the way into Janeway, and your right. It does seem like overkill with detail. Our course follows it closely though, so I don't have a lot of choice in the matter.

Peter Parham's book (mentioned by Dakota) is a scaled-down version of Janeway designed for med students. By that I mean that all of the images are identical, and the text is simply abridged (though the prose flows as if it had been written specifically for this book). It really is the med-school version of Janeway, and it is a lovely book. I can't recommend highly enough if you're looking for a text-book level (rather than review book for the USMLE) treatment of immunology as relevant for MDs. The only drawback is that the second edition (2004) is the most recent. Janeway had a new edition in 2007, so perhaps a third edition of Parham will be following soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Immune-System-Peter-Parham/dp/0815340931/ref=ed_oe_p

From the product description:
The Immune System is adapted from Immunobiology by Janeway, Travers & Walport.

From a review:
...Appealing and relevant for those students who approach the study of the immune system through a clinical lens, including students of medicine, pharmacology, midwifery, or nursing; it would also be appropriate in an introductory immunology course..
113(3):345-6
&#8211;Clinical Immunology, 2004

Last edited:
Parham is our required text for Immuno, and so far I have enjoyed it. Nice diagrams and layout. I have compared it with a couple of USMLE type books, and I did notice that the design and organization of the book is much different than those. You may want to stick with something that runs more parallel with your course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it really matter what version of CMMRS you get? Like is 3rd edition fine

I think the reverse is true: The textbooks are overkill...the review books contain the reasonable level of material to be mastered.

overkill With Trying To Use Review Books While You Are Going Through The Coursework. The Best Prep For Usmle Step I Is Your Coursework Period. After You Have Learned The Material, You Can Then Review It Within The Context Of The Other Subjects That You Have Studied.

You Can't "review" What You Haven't "learned" In The First Place. Master Your Coursework First And Then Review.

Qft

how do you get the bugs and drugs straight? like, bug A is resistant to drug B but not if you give it with drug C, blah blah blah. i'm having a hard time organizing them all in my head. making flashcards will take waaaay too much time. how are/did you all dealing??

I'm going through the same thing right now but I think the best way is to organize your own chart of all of the antibiotics and what they treat simplifying as much as possible. Make a hierarchy for penicillins/cephs and just say above plus whatever other organism they add. Then add special notes about the antibiotic like mechanism of action, side effects, and random facts.

Take a look at textbooks/review books that have charts made and compare it with your own notes. Then go over it over and over again.

I still need some suggestions on what micro textbook and immuno review book to get. Anyone?

I'm using BRS immuno/micro. It's not bad, but someone may have better suggestions. Personally, I like Micro Made ridiculously simple. It's a pretty quick read even though there are a lot of pages. I'd recommend it during the class more than during board review.

My best tidbit of advice is - if your schedule permits, learn Immuno BEFORE Micro. Some of that Micro pathogenesis junk makes more sense if you have an understanding of Immuno.

My best tidbit of advice is - if your schedule permits, learn Immuno BEFORE Micro. Some of that Micro pathogenesis junk makes more sense if you have an understanding of Immuno.

I was under the impression that this was how most schools do it. We had two weeks of immuno to start with then Micro/ID was the following 6 weeks.

Try "Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology" by Levinson along with First Aid and you should be fine.

I was under the impression that this was how most schools do it. We had two weeks of immuno to start with then Micro/ID was the following 6 weeks.

I started Immuno when I was halfway through Micro, unfortunately.
Oh well.

what are some methods you've used to for micro? I'm having a hard time squeezing everything in my head in an organized way. I've tried making charts and making flashcards but it feels like i'm learning a bunch of scattered facts. Compared to 2nd year, 1st year material seem to make more sense to me and stuck better.

Thanks
i used these online free lectures by Mobeen syed ...these are really goodand worth the time www.drbeen.com

How the Immune System Works by Lauren M. Sompayrac
Case Studies In Immunology
Microcards (and brute force repetition)
CMMRS for a quick read through and some structure.

Supplement with USMLERx as you go with annotation into FA. Make sure you can draw all the charts from FA by memory. Again, brute force.

Last edited:
How can one argue with a user whose name is Lymphocyte??????!!!!

How the Immune System Works by Lauren M. Sompayrac
Case Studies In Immunology
Microcards (and brute force repetition)
CMMRS for a quick read through and some structure.

Supplement with USMLERx as you go with annotation into FA. Make sure you can draw all the charts from FA by memory. Again, brute force.

Reactions: 2 users
How can one argue with a user whose name is Lymphocyte??????!!!!

But don't just take my username for it! Immunology and microbiology > 95th percentile on UWorld and both were a single * on Step 1. I've also taught Step 1 review and have a decent sense of where people struggle.

I've been through Abbas, and I've been through Janeway. Too much and too confusing. Immunology is like a gargantuan statue that you can't quite get your head around in one go. You just have to keep pacing around it over and over again to eventually get a sense of how it all fits together. And it's also easy to get caught up in all the wrong details. That's why it lends itself so well to a narrative format like How the Immune System Works and then something to place it in a clinical context like Case Studies.

Microbiology is the opposite. Once you have the basic structure, you need to brute force memorise it. No short cuts. Even the mnemonics are ridiculously tedious. Nothing better than blank paper, a pencil, and lots of time. Make sure you can draw all the micro charts from FA by heart, and now's the best time to start. Once you have the structure down, you can fill in all the important details.

Finally, USMLERx to test your learning. Even as a MS1. It's no secret that I'm a big proponent of Step 1 from Day 1 (others disagree, fairly so, everybody's different--but look at the "biggest regrets" thread on the Step 1 forum). Step 1 from Day 1 doesn't mean learning from FA or something silly like that, but it does mean using FA as a guide for what to learn in depth. (Of course, not literally day 1. The first few months are shock and awe anyways and you should keep experimenting with different learning styles until you figure out what works for you. And bust your butt too. Establish your maximum output and then titrate downwards for sanity. @Goro's advice for medical school is fantastic if you search for it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Thanks

You won't have time to read that whole book alongside classes IMO.

I would say that unlike physiology/pathophysiology, and possibly immunology, microbiology is extremely memorization heavy. There's infinitely more minutiae to be learnt than there are concepts to be understood. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head of molecular mimicry and vaccination.

I would say for this reason that SketchyMedical is a much better resource than a 300+ page book. I would stream sketchy as you learn each organism because that's what micro is...learning about a bunch of microorganisms.

The beginning may feel a bit conceptual because they're explaining the foundations but after that it's all memorization. Same for the boards .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile