How can I improve my studying method?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SillyGenius

Reaction score
My school doesn't really give us lectures and they don't give us any resources like Uworld, BnB, pathoma, etc.
I purchased a subscription to Bootcamp and USMLE-Rx. I've been grinding those video lectures and practice questions. I'm not sure if this will be enough for my exams. My school does 90-95% NBME questions and 5-10% prof made questions.

Is there any other resource I can use or anything else I should be doing?

Members don't see this ad.

B&B, sketchy, pathoma and the associated Anking cards are better for content than Rx; never used Bootcamp and can't speak to it. uWorld has better questions than Rx.

The whole thing is time, active learning, and repetition across factual/conceptual and practice content. Don't overthink resources. Just use what you like or can afford. You really don't need to be analyzing the "quality" of different QBanks or resources until you are in 3rd year and time gets incredibly scarce.

Time: Start studying early. The goal is to get most of the material into longer-term memory before the test such that it comes to you naturally (vs. "fresh" information that you need to strain to recall). This will speed you up on the test too (e.g., instant diagnosis vs. sitting around for 30 seconds while you try to remember if it's Tuberous Sclerosis or Sturge-Weber that comes with the port wine stain). The night or two before the exam you can then focus on the slippery details.

Active Learning: Always be engaged. If you find yourself passively reading material or watching videos without stopping to force yourself to explain or recall what's being taught, you're wasting time. Don't feel like you need to master the material through passive/teaching formats before moving on to testing formats.

Repetition: The key is to cycle between learning (factual/conceptual) and testing (practice) formats to get as much repetition as possible. You do lecture/reading (with forced active recall) and then testing (flashcards, questions). Let it marinate for a few days while you cover other concepts, then come back to it with more reading/rewatching lecture and then more testing. I assure you you'll pick up details you missed (or see them in a different light) the second time you watch the lecture. You'll also answer questions more quickly and more easily distinguish between different parts of common differentials.

So as an example, you could cover a section on Bootcamp (first I've heard of this, but I'm assuming it's like BNB or OME) to get an overview of the topics. Cover as much as you can for 2 hours, then stop and do relevant flashcards, then immediately start doing questions. Some questions might be on topics you didn't learn. That's fine and normal. That topic will now be easier to understand when it comes up on Bootcamp. First pass will likely leave tons of holes. Second pass will start to patch them. By the 3rd pass, you'll be informed enough on the topics to know where your specific weaknesses are, and you'll be able to tailor your learning accordingly. I assure you if do this with any set of resources you will excel in the book-learning parts of medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Before making suggestions: OP, did you pass all of your classes last term? What resources have you tapped into to help you pass those classes? Where do you specifically need help? Any group studying? Are you the smartest in your study group (hint: you shouldn't be)?

Reactions: 1 user