Best Microbiology/Immunology Review Book for Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfdevl02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i was going to start micro today when i realized there's no way i can sit down with micro ridiculously simple and relearn it in 3-4 days. Does anyone here have a strong preference between the BRS Micro vs. the Appleton and Lange Micro? I'm going to try to get a new book tomorrow and some imput would be greatly appreciated! Best of luck studying!

Members don't see this ad.

surfdevl02 said:
So i was going to start micro today when i realized there's no way i can sit down with micro ridiculously simple and relearn it in 3-4 days. Does anyone here have a strong preference between the BRS Micro vs. the Appleton and Lange Micro? I'm going to try to get a new book tomorrow and some imput would be greatly appreciated! Best of luck studying!

hey fellow Dukie:

don't know who you are, but we may know each other since we both grad of 2002. anyhow, I took my step I last year and for Micro/immuno here is what I suggest. Appleton and Lange Immuno section is really good, but high yield immuno is just as good. I think if you are in a tight time schedule then do high yield (this will take you one full day). But if you are a relatively fast reader you can do AL immuno in about 1 and half days.
For micro. alot of people recommended made ridiculous simple, but it really depend on your style. I would recommend the micro cards, NOT THE BRS micro card, but the other set. It is really good, esp. with flow charts to help memorize and case descriptions. I liked them the best.
I did not remember seeing a single question on Fungus and parasites...so if you are on an info overload, then leave the fungus and parasites later. Bacteria and viruses are covered the most. And most of the questions ask what is the most probable organism. good luck!

Hello dukie!

I probably do know you...where do you go to school now??? Just another quick question..you mentioned high yield immuno but doy ou know anything about the BRS Immuno, is it just as good? I don't like all the BS in ridiculously simple, they're just distracting, esp for high yield, i prefer outline format. Thanks again for your advice...i hate immuno almost as much as biochem...Oh yeah, what'd you use for that...

P.S.-Have you seeing the news...we (Duke) just got 3 top basketball recruits (top 25) next year in a span of 3 days...still dominant as ever...

optiplex said:
hey fellow Dukie:

don't know who you are, but we may know each other since we both grad of 2002. anyhow, I took my step I last year and for Micro/immuno here is what I suggest. Appleton and Lange Immuno section is really good, but high yield immuno is just as good. I think if you are in a tight time schedule then do high yield (this will take you one full day). But if you are a relatively fast reader you can do AL immuno in about 1 and half days.
For micro. alot of people recommended made ridiculous simple, but it really depend on your style. I would recommend the micro cards, NOT THE BRS micro card, but the other set. It is really good, esp. with flow charts to help memorize and case descriptions. I liked them the best.
I did not remember seeing a single question on Fungus and parasites...so if you are on an info overload, then leave the fungus and parasites later. Bacteria and viruses are covered the most. And most of the questions ask what is the most probable organism. good luck!

Hi,

The BRS Immuno is about 30 pages or so, best if you have a decent Immuno background, that said, I have not seen the HY, but many posters swear by it. The only issue is that of the posters that have taken this round of the step, they've talked about some stuff that is not mentioned in the BRS (vaccine immunology). If you can get ahold of the Kaplan Micro and Immuno, there is are several small sections on the "obscure" immuno topics, but 200 pages of immuno on that book is too much for me :) I'm gonna hit the BRS and FA and hope for the best. Good Luck :thumbup:

MMRS, and while I used FA immuno, laugh, I had a good background in immuno (from this year of studying), and I had no problems.