Best, Modern, Ample, Clean Facilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlistexWorks

Sophomore Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in search of a veterinary school with the attributes listed above. I have looked at UF, Auburn, North Carolina, Tufts, CSU, UT, and Georgia. Of these, I was most impressed with Auburn and Tufts. Are there any other schools out there that I should visit? I've heard that Cornell, Washington, and Iowa are nice but have not had the chance to visit them. I'll be applying this summer to about 7 different schools. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I currently go to CSU, and am doing a Masters degree in the Biomedical sciences vetmed department...

Basically, what I have noticed is that the 1st and 2nd year facilities are not greatest. I know this from experience and from vet students and what they say. The rooms are pretty old. The room you spend all your 1st year classes in (ALL the classes) has the fold out (from your side) desks, which is a very small area to write on. The 2nd year room, is water damaged and doesn't have sound capabilities...Plus, you share these rooms with undergrad students.

BUT, these are the 1st and 2nd year rooms. And during your 1st and 2nd year, you do get your own little desk located in the "cubes". The VTH here is rediculous tho (where you spend your 3rd and 4th year). It's got to be the best in the world, and the reason CSU must be ranked so highly.

One thing that some vet students have been complaining about is how they decided to not spend money on updating the facilities (for 1st and 2nd year facilities) and decided to build a 2 million dollar Dean suite instead...

Just something to think about...Plus, I might have a little animosity towards CSU because I didn't get in this year :smuggrin:....So I might be a little biased. lol.

Here are my thoughts:

Cornell: Student teaching areas are... fine... gross anatomy lab is dank and dark, two very nice lecture halls, great library, generally a somewhat warren-like, dark teaching side of the building. Clinics - gorgeous, state-of-the-art, exceptionally nice.

UC-Davis - I'd check Davis out if you're up for the west coast! Teaching areas are superb, brand new, really airy and open, amazing labs for gross anatomy etc, beautiful teaching building. Hospital - mixed. Companion animal center is absolutely amazingly beautiful, looks like a architect's dream. The hospital-hospital is clean, functional, but not exquisitely new. Very cool surgery viewing theater.

NCSU - being rebuilt, nice vibes. Wonderful teaching animal unit (like a working farm). Teaching areas - fine, a little older in style, not airy but clean and very friendly. Hospital - similar to Davis in that it is clean and functional. By the time you're in clinics it'll be brand spankin' new, though!

Tufts - I was underwhelmed with Tufts' facilities, but I can't really put my finger on why.

Penn - check it out!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can have a CVM with the newest, shinest, bestest toys and facilities and administrators and professors who think your education is the lowest priority on the list.

You can have a CVM with all of the above and educators who actually care more about you than grant money and want to teach you.

You can have a CVM with none of the above and professors who can't teach since most schools think DVM/PhD = teaching degree.

You can have a CVM with none of the above and professors that will be your mentors long after you graduate.

In all the above scenarios, you can have a VTH admisssion caseload that will make you cry - either due to exhaustion for being so busy or frustration because there's so few admissions even the technicians do more procedures than you.

Most likely, if you're lucky, you will find a school in a state/city you're happy with that possesses a combination of (1) educators give two rodent rears about you in (2) a facility where hosing off the floors doesn't backflood the drains in the ward next door and (3) there's enough patients to go around.

My point is facilities aren't everything.

You should be more concerned what the teaching philosophies and work ethics are of the professors in your areas of interest (and that there's even one on staff/tenure - !!), a strong VTH caseload representation in your areas of interest and that the CVM doesn't have a Dean/VTH Chair who think students are nothing more than a just one more source of income.

I'm beginning to think if prospective veterinary students started treating CVM's more like they will prospective jobs when they graduate, and spent some time (a la "working interview") in each school they were considering, there would be better matches for all involved. Alas, the supply/demand is upside down for that to be effective.

Bathroom meditation material, anyways.

I'm beginning to think if prospective veterinary students started treating CVM's more like they will prospective jobs when they graduate, and spent some time (a la "working interview") in each school they were considering, there would be better matches for all involved.

Unfortunately I think most prospective vet students are so worried about getting in that they just apply to anywhere whether or not it is a good fit. "Any vet school is a good vet school" in other words. I think that is why most of us use residencies and internships to get our more specific knowledge.
Good advice though!

I agree with everything you said with one addition. I wish we could flip the scenario and say that vet schools required students to have working interviews prior to admission. Good score does not automatically = good doctor! Im tired of being judged solely on my GRE score. I wish someone would just give me a chance.

You can have a CVM with the newest, shinest, bestest toys and facilities and administrators and professors who think your education is the lowest priority on the list.

You can have a CVM with all of the above and educators who actually care more about you than grant money and want to teach you.

You can have a CVM with none of the above and professors who can't teach since most schools think DVM/PhD = teaching degree.

You can have a CVM with none of the above and professors that will be your mentors long after you graduate.

In all the above scenarios, you can have a VTH admisssion caseload that will make you cry - either due to exhaustion for being so busy or frustration because there's so few admissions even the technicians do more procedures than you.

Most likely, if you're lucky, you will find a school in a state/city you're happy with that possesses a combination of (1) educators give two rodent rears about you in (2) a facility where hosing off the floors doesn't backflood the drains in the ward next door and (3) there's enough patients to go around.

My point is facilities aren't everything.

You should be more concerned what the teaching philosophies and work ethics are of the professors in your areas of interest (and that there's even one on staff/tenure - !!), a strong VTH caseload representation in your areas of interest and that the CVM doesn't have a Dean/VTH Chair who think students are nothing more than a just one more source of income.

I'm beginning to think if prospective veterinary students started treating CVM's more like they will prospective jobs when they graduate, and spent some time (a la "working interview") in each school they were considering, there would be better matches for all involved. Alas, the supply/demand is upside down for that to be effective.

While I agree with the caution that facilities do not equal education, I don't think there's anything wrong with using this board to share impressions of the various schools' physical plants. Few people have enough money to travel to every single one of the vet schools and personally inspect them. I certainly am not suggesting that one should value facilities over other intangibles, but in making decisions about where to apply, all information is helpful.

While I agree with the caution that facilities do not equal education, I don't think there's anything wrong with using this board to share impressions of the various schools' physical plants. Few people have enough money to travel to every single one of the vet schools and personally inspect them. I certainly am not suggesting that one should value facilities over other intangibles, but in making decisions about where to apply, all information is helpful.

I agree with this post. The physical facilities you will be in are one aspect of your education, and something that deserves some consideration.

At Ohio State, our veterinary medical academic building is pretty new and very nice. We have great lecture halls, study rooms, a good library, computer lab, one of the largest caseloads in the country, AND wonderful faculty and professors that really care about the students. When you go to bigger schools maybe you get the best of both worlds ;).

Oh the schools I visited I was probably most impressed with the facilities at Penn, Ohio, and Davis (their new student building, not their hospital which is a bit run down.)

Just to support a previous post, Ohio had the best facilities of the places I went to. All of the labs and buildings seemed brand new and well maintained. PLUS I thought that everyone was very nice and welcoming. Side note- Penn was very nice-hospital wise, as was some of their lecture halls, but a lot of the labs and such were kinda run down.

Just to support a previous post, Ohio had the best facilities of the places I went to. All of the labs and buildings seemed brand new and well maintained. PLUS I thought that everyone was very nice and welcoming. Side note- Penn was very nice-hospital wise, as was some of their lecture halls, but a lot of the labs and such were kinda run down.

The Dean at Melbourne Uni just came from Ohio (Ken Hinchcliff).

After doing my first dissection (hindlimb of a greyhound) yesterday on a 40 degree day (104) and it being about 45 degrees in the lab (113) I can say that I am not very impressed by the facilities here.

Just to clarify - at CSU the desk in the 'cubes' is only for first years. Second years get a locker and a break room.

I think our anatomy lab is great - each table has a computer station and you can bring up the computer anatomy program - it really helps you figure out what your dog is *supposed* to look like.

L

I currently go to CSU, and am doing a Masters degree in the Biomedical sciences vetmed department...

Basically, what I have noticed is that the 1st and 2nd year facilities are not greatest. I know this from experience and from vet students and what they say. The rooms are pretty old. The room you spend all your 1st year classes in (ALL the classes) has the fold out (from your side) desks, which is a very small area to write on. The 2nd year room, is water damaged and doesn't have sound capabilities...Plus, you share these rooms with undergrad students.

BUT, these are the 1st and 2nd year rooms. And during your 1st and 2nd year, you do get your own little desk located in the "cubes". The VTH here is rediculous tho (where you spend your 3rd and 4th year). It's got to be the best in the world, and the reason CSU must be ranked so highly.

One thing that some vet students have been complaining about is how they decided to not spend money on updating the facilities (for 1st and 2nd year facilities) and decided to build a 2 million dollar Dean suite instead...

Just something to think about...Plus, I might have a little animosity towards CSU because I didn't get in this year :smuggrin:....So I might be a little biased. lol.

I've been to these vet schools - here are my impressions:

UC Davis: hospital older section is kind of run down - for instance, the surgery suites. The newer areas are better. Haven't been to their lecture theatres, library etc.

Penn: Very nice, clean, large hospital. Didn't visit their large animal facilities. Saw one lecture theatre - it was fine.

LSU: Impressed all around with their small, large and teaching facilities. I pretty much saw it all.

Ohio: Went there *many* years ago (around 7-8 yrs ago). It was OK, not too impressive for some reason. I did see large, small and teaching areas.

Western: I've only seen the bookstore and general campus - very nice. But I can't comment much due to not seeing much. (I lived in a neighbouring city for many years, and my parents still live there).

Tufts: I visited within the last month. It was quite spread out, with some nicer areas and some older/run down areas. I saw the gross anatomy labs and the teaching hospitals, also the wildlife hospital. I sat in one lecture theatre (I was there for CE) that was quite nice. Beautiful campus - the prettiest I've seen in the US so far.

Glasgow: I spent 5 years there :) New buildings are adding to older buildings. The current SA hospital is a bit old but kept in great shape. The equine hospital is beautiful but can't house many patients (though the caseload isn't great). A new farm animal hospital and a new small animal hospital are being built (I know they've at least broken ground on the SA hospital). Teaching facilities - could use some new lecture theatres! But the labs are newly re-done and look great.

Royal Vet College (London): Gorgeous campus. Nice new buildings. Didn't see much of the SA hospital (mostly the equine and farm animal areas). Prettier than Glasgow (can't believe I just said that).

It would actually be really nice if this was possible. It would be wonderful to do this instead of interviewing. Some people take a little time to warm up and are not always shown to their advantage in interview situations. Some people are good at BSing and perform wonderfully in interveiws but may just be talking themselves up and not as good as they state.

As far as the three I've seen, I don't remember my tour at Ohio State that well (it was over a year ago now), but as far as Auburn and UTK.

Auburn has amazing brand new large animal facilities. It really impressed me, and if I was interested in large animal medicine, I probably would have gone there. The equine facilities (especially surgery and recovery) as well as the cattle chutes were awesome. The small animal hospital was pretty normal.

UTK is just now expanding their small animal hospital. It will open in the next month. In addition to the current CT and nuclear medicine facilities, we are gaining a linear accelerator and an MRI. The exotics clinic is greatly expanding and the cat/dog hospital will also grow. The large animal hospital is nice and even includes a hyperbaric chamber for equine patients. There are plenty of toys to play with here.

But in a lot of ways, I agree with fetch.

UF is building a brand new SA Hospital.

I think Michigan had the nicest facilities out of the schools I have been to. The new oncology building was gorgeous, they have a beautiful riding arena next to the hospital and both the large and small animal hospitals were not new but large and clean and well kept. The MSU campus is huge, the vet school is sort of in the middle of it all. It's a busy area with a lot going on. I can't compare it to that many schools as I have only visited Western, Tufts, Michigan and Mississippi. I agree though that there is a lot more to a school than its facilities! :)

We're in the same boat hendo, I applied this year but never made it into the pearly gates. +pity+ Are you doing the planB biomed masters? I've applied to it for August, but haven't heard back yet. You're definitely right about the stark contrast between 1st/2nd years and the VTH (veterinary teaching hospital), they are a world apart from each other and the VTH is definitely why CSU has kept its ranking (along with a really dedicated faculty!).

I visited Iowa, Illinois, and Tufts for interviews so far and I thought that they all had somewhat up to date facilities.

Iowa is completing a brand new teaching hospital this fall (08) and most of the lecture halls and anatomy labs are very up to date with wireless, flat screens, etc. I was impressed with the flat screens in the anatomy lab area, which can be used to put up slideshows or your notes while you dissect. Also I liked how Iowa is wireless (pertaining to class notes) and Illinois is starting to go wireless this upcoming year. Its definitely saves a lot of paper and time by just being able to download your lecture notes onto a tablet where you can comment and make new diagrams on directly instead of keeping paper notes.

Tufts is definitely a campus to consider, its hospital is very up to date and they are in the middle of constructing several additions throughout the campus.

Illinois for the most part was clean and modern, some of the lecture halls and anatomy labs might need work on, but the dean told us on interview day that they are constantly renovating, etc.

Do you know when it will be completed?

When I was on my tour the tourgivers (1st year students) said they were promised it would be completed for them to use their senior year. So I guess that means it should be done for our Junior year. So Id guess about fall 2010.

Yeah CBR, I did the Biomed plan B program. You can ask me personally about it if you're in dissection this year (I'm a TA). My name is Ryan. The program supposedly works if all you're lacking is good grades. I wasn't lacking good grades, but decided to do the program anyway...Looks like it didn't work...