Best non hospital places to volunteer at

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

What are some great non hospital places to volunteer at?

Members don't see this ad.

Free clinics!!1!

Also farmers markets, schools and tutoring services, animal shelters and behavioral health facilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call your local United Way and Easter Seals organizations and ask them what opportunities for volunteering exist. They often have a whole list --

Also:
Meals on Wheels
Assisted Care Centers
Senior Day Care
Schools for Kids with Disabilities
Food Banks
Homeless Shelters
Suicide Hotlines

Reactions: 1 user
Does your university have any service oriented clubs? Maybe sleuth around to see what kind of stuff they do

Clinical= hospice, nursing homes, clinics, Planned Parenthood, crisis hotlines

Non-clinical= Habitat for Humanity, reading to children at the Library, tutoring disadvantaged youth, being a Big Brother/Sister, and inquire at your local houses of worship for opportunities.

What are some great non hospital places to volunteer at?

How do you volunteer at a farmer's market?
Look on their website (assuming they have one) and call or email whoever's in charge. It's a nice way to get involved in the community. You usually direct people, hand things out, work security or even first aid, if you're certified.

I've heard the Special Olympics thrown around as well.

Habitat for humanity.
I second Habitat for Humanity. You really do work there, and if you volunteer for multiple shifts during one of the home renovations, you get to see the results of your work. I learned to use power tools (which were initially pretty scary), and learned some practical skills (like how to use expanding foam, that is actually tricky). It is not boring, unlike ER volunteering, which was the worst for me.

Clinical= hospice, nursing homes, clinics, Planned Parenthood, crisis hotlines

Non-clinical= Habitat for Humanity, reading to children at the Library, tutoring disadvantaged youth, being a Big Brother/Sister, and inquire at your local houses of worship for opportunities.

What about organizations like a The Arc or other disabilities related orgs

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever you are most passionate about and whatever allows you to get the most meaningful experiences and direct interaction with people. Volunteering for a big name organization like United Way simply for the sake of it'll look better on a resume is the last thing you should have on your mind.

Nursing home!!! My experiences at a nursing home were SO much better than at hospitals. Nursing homes/hospice seem to be really desperate for volunteers, whereas hospitals are very impacted with too many volunteers. You'll make a bigger impact at a nursing home or in hospice AND have a better experience yourself!

Reactions: 1 users
Whatever you are most passionate about and whatever allows you to get the most meaningful experiences and direct interaction with people. Volunteering for a big name organization like United Way simply for the sake of it'll look better on a resume is the last thing you should have on your mind.

I should clarify -- When I suggested contacting the United Way and Easter Seals, it was not to suggest you should work directly for them - though that's an option, I suppose. But rather, because both of these organizations function as a sort of 'central clearinghouse' and resource center for so many smaller charitable and service organizations. If you call them on the phone and indicate you're looking for volunteer opportunities, they can help you find an organization [you probably never heard of] that truly needs your help.

I really enjoyed doing youth mentoring. It can be very fun and rewarding. I spent my mentorship playing games, basketball, etc., helping with homework... and so on. Check your local YMCA/YWCA, etc to see if there's already a local program in your area.

One of the best volunteering gigs I did was working with a group on campus that participated in Project Downtown. We basically met up once a week with a group of homeless people in an empty parking lot and brought them food. Sometimes we even had toiletries and clothing to bring them. Sometimes we helped them find jobs. We always, of course, talked to them and got to know the regulars. I did it as a freshman so it had been established before I was there and all these people knew when and where to meet us. I absolutely loved it.

Otherwise, tutoring kids is always fun!

I consider it clinical, even if outside of a clinical site.

Another venue: camps for sick children, or Ronald McDonald House.
Wait, so if I teach Zumba to people with developmental disabilities, that's clinical?

I was not expecting that. I already have more than enough clinical hours as it is. Oh well, guess I'm adding some more!

Wait, so if I teach Zumba to people with developmental disabilities, that's clinical?

I was not expecting that. I already have more than enough clinical hours as it is. Oh well, guess I'm adding some more!

This is where @Goro and I disagree. If you are working with people who are not in a setting where they are "patients" then you are not doing a clinical activity. Being a special ed teacher is not "clinical employment" although the students have mental and physical disabilities. People with disabilities are people... they are not patients 24/7 so I don't believe that every interaction with them is "clinical".

That said, doing volunteer work that sensitizes you to the needs of special populations is always valuable.

Actually, on this one I agree with my esteemed colleague. Teaching Zumba is not the same as helping people in and out of bed, feed them or help with other daily activities.

Especially agree with the bolded comment!

I especially admire applicants who work with the most fragile of patient populations, like the dying or developmentally disabled.

This is where @Goro and I disagree. If you are working with people who are not in a setting where they are "patients" then you are not doing a clinical activity. Being a special ed teacher is not "clinical employment" although the students have mental and physical disabilities. People with disabilities are people... they are not patients 24/7 so I don't believe that every interaction with them is "clinical".

That said, doing volunteer work that sensitizes you to the needs of special populations is always valuable.

Actually, on this one I agree with my esteemed colleague. Teaching Zumba is not the same as helping people in and out of bed, feed them or help with other daily activities.

Especially agree with the bolded comment!

I especially admire applicants who work with the most fragile of patient populations, like the dying or developmentally disabled.
It doesn't particularly matter to me which way it's classified- it's something I love doing and not just a box I'm checking, but what with trying to figure out how to fill out this work/activities section, I'm glad a clarified just how to categorize it!

Have you guys ever volunteered at Make-A-Wish Foundation? I want to look in to that in the future.