Best OMFS Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAXFAC1989

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Best overall in terms of scope, volume, graduate skill and placement, and all around badassness..

1. LSU New Orleans
2. LSU Shreveport
3. Parkland
4. Jacksonville
5. Alabama
6. Michigan
7. Louisville
8. OHSU
9. Emory
10. Case

Best Dentoalveolar
1. Cook County
2. Montefiore
3. Mount Sinai/Jacobi
4. Case
5. LSU NO

*Keep an eye out for programs with a VA/GPR Residency association

Best cancer
1. Jacksonville
2. Michigan
3. Maryland

Best cosmetics
1. LSU NO
2. Case Western

Best Craniofacial
1. LSU Shreveport
2. Jacksonville
3. LSU NO
4. Parkland

Best Medical school (Definitely not to be confused with surgical knowledge/skill)
1. Harvard
2. UCSF
3. Columbia
4. Penn
5. UCLA

Here's another thread:
Best 6y Oral Surgery Programs

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What’s your opinion on MGH, as a whole?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think anyone can argue about the value of a Harvard MD and you will work with the greatest minds in medicine at MGH so there's definite value in that. Also, Boston is a definite win. In general though, the scope isn't as broad as a place like Jacksonville for example and most procedures are performed by the attendings rather than the residents from what i've heard. The attending are pioneers though, for example Dr. Kaban, and it would be a privilege to train under someone like that. The issue with Northern programs is that there are way too many hospital politics and when it comes down to it if there's competition between ENT, Plastics, and OMFS...we lose. In the South though, OMFS reigns supreme, and from what I've seen through externships and interviews (20+), it almost feels like a different specialty altogether; that is OS (North) vs OMFS (South). (And trust me, I'm from the North and many times wished we had programs like they do down there!!)

I think the OP is overall reasonable if you are looking for "badassness," though I'm sure others will chime in!

Last edited:
Top 10 brands of potato chips:
1. Fritos
2. Pringles
3. Cheetos
4. Spicy Cheetos
5. Cool ranch Cheetos
7. Sunchips
8. MGH OMFS
9. Lays original
10. Any perio program

Reactions: 23 users
1. Fritos
2. Pringles
3. Cheetos
4. Spicy Cheetos
5. Cool ranch Cheetos
7. Sunchips
8. MGH OMFS
9. Lays original
10. Any perio program
This is a ridiculous statement. Doritos are cool ranch, not cheetos.

Reactions: 3 users
1. Fritos
2. Pringles
3. Cheetos
4. Spicy Cheetos
5. Cool ranch Cheetos
7. Sunchips
8. MGH OMFS
9. Lays original
10. Any perio program
The lack of funyons and munchos on this list troubles me

Fritos are the yellow starburst of the frito-lay variety pack

The best OMFS program is the one that you get into.

Last edited:
Dumbest thing i've read on here in a while

You've listed programs who can't hold onto residents, have been kicked out of their med schools, have 2 real full time faculty, a program who can't hold onto a chair or director for the last damn decade, have accreditation issues, and absurd turnovers to name a few on that list. There is at least 2 genuinely bad programs in that list.
Then this guy lists "Trauma" programs and omits some of the largest metropolitan Level 1 trauma center programs, many of which cover multiple level 1 trauma centers, in the country.

You guys are idiots and I'm dumber for having read this.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Dumbest thing i've read on here in a while

You've listed programs who can't hold onto residents, have been kicked out of their med schools, have 2 real full time faculty, a program who can't hold onto a chair or director for the last damn decade, have accreditation issues, and absurd turnovers to name a few on that list. There is at least 2 genuinely bad programs in that list.
Then this guy lists "Trauma" programs and omits some of the largest metropolitan Level 1 trauma center programs, many of which cover multiple level 1 trauma centers, in the country.

You guys are idiots and I'm dumber for having read this.
Could you match what you said to the program names? I’m trying to get a better picture of what’s out there, but I have a feeling what’s currently been said isn’t quite right.

No. Im a PGY5, and I've learned in my 5 years that programs are always changing; there's good hospitals in good cities with good funding and good clinics and/or good dental schools, and that can give you solid dependability, but **** still happens. Bad mouthing other programs is a dental student move or that of a junior resident at a lesser program trying to flex.
Extern, talk to surgeons, talk to residents, and interview. It's not hard to figure out what's good and what's not as good, what's stable and what's not stable, and if you match to a bad program, you're still privileged to have matched and join a great field, and you can work to make it a better program, and virtually any program can make you a great surgeon if you make the most out of it.

These threads are useless. These discussions are useless. It's usually a student or junior resident in the NE or west coast pulling this ****, but I'm leaning towards this being made by someone at LSU NO for obvious reasons. And most of the back and forth will be between people who have virtually no idea what they're talking about.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This list is great.. it's like those magazines that list the TOP DOCTORS of USA.
Fake News.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, UCLA of course. Like, OMG have you ever been in Westwood :blackeye:

This thread has much validity as me saying UCLA has the best trauma in the country and that UCLA harbor has the best cosmetics.

Reactions: 1 user
This list is not all inclusive. Don't get your panties in a bunch and tell us which other programs see as much trauma as Maryland or Jacksonville.

No love for Cook County?

Best Prison Food
1.) San Quentin
2.) Rikers Island
3.) Attica
4.) Alcatraz
5.) MGH.

Reactions: 6 users
these threads are always so ridiculous. I'd venture to bet the person who started this thread is not even in a residency!

Where does all this information about relative stength of programs come from? Outside of staff and resident rosters at any given program, I couldn’t tell you one thing other than gross generalizations or piping hot unsubstantiated rumors about any other residency program in the country. Not even the programs I interviewed at. Maybe a little of the ones I externed at but even then, that’s an extremely small glimpse. Hell, I could tell you what I perceive the strengths and weaknesses of my program are but based on the discussion here, I am quite a bit off.

The answer to the question of the best program is, and always will be, the program that you match at. After all, the vast vast vast majority of us, even those at the programs listed in this thread, will end up having the same exact scope of practice after residency.

Last edited:
Whats great about this thread is how objective and scientific these lists are.
Best Co-Ed/Romp Romp Experience
1.) University of Michigan
2.) OSU
3.) University of Michigan
4.) OSU
5.) University of Michigan
Source: Playboy/Penthouse/Reddit/Fratre Trump

While I agree that programs should not be ranked, as it is all subjective, programs are not of the same quality in terms of your exposure to different aspects of OMS.
These lists are useless once you have already been accepted, but as a dental student, I wished I had more information on which programs performed which procedures.
For example, as someone who was interested in Craniofacial, I only knew after applying that Oklahoma did tons of it.

For cancer/microvascular, I liked this thread, since it will tell you if they either they do it or not, and whether is it ablatives only, or they also do the microvascular free flaps too.
OMFS Programs doing cancer/free flaps
Programs tend to have people moving around a lot, so it will even vary from year to year. The list was only 3 years old, but some of the names have already moved onto different programs, or even left Academia entirely.

As for Craniofacial, most programs will have very little exposure to this aspect besides the occasional secondary alveolar bone grafting. But even with programs that give you some exposure, how involved is each program? Are they doing cranial vault reconstructions? Are they doing primary repairs? Are you able to do it as a chief, or is it mostly attending/fellows cutting? How often are they going on mission trips to do it? etc.

In terms of Trauma, the Southern programs are the place to be. High velocity car crashes won't happen if you're driving 20 mph on icy roads. The knife and gun clubs are also more prevalent in warmer weather.

Reactions: 2 users
The rule of thumb that the southern programs are very strong still applies. But it doesn’t mean that there are not great ones in other parts of the country.

Last edited:
I externed for 3 months. I was able to pull that off. I saw 5 programs in depth. All 5 were excellent, i went as north as NYU, and west as Omaha. This country is littered with programs, and so many are so much more equal than they realize. Comparing a hospital cancer program to a clinic-centric dental school program is like taking an apple and an orange and asking which one makes the best pineapple, and so many come between that.

Know that within 2-3 years of residency, you will not give a **** about where people trained. Our specialty is small, and you will quickly have 0 ****s to give in comparing such trivial things, as your focus will be on you and yours, and yours will give you plenty of **** to be disgruntled about, and maybe some stuff to be proud of if you're lucky. I'm a Baylor resident. We have a d school, we cover 2 level one trauma centers in one of the largest metroplexes (is that a word?) in the country at the same time, and we have no concurrent plastics or ENT residents to compete with. Seems great, right? I know Shreveport and Parkland residents well, we're in each other's back yards. When I hang out with their residents, all 3 of us could sit down and vent/talk **** about our programs for hours, and yet we're all happy(ish) where we are.

Extern, talk, research, pick a handful and apply and hope for the best. There are so many good programs, and only a handful of **** ones. And the **** ones can still make great surgeons, you're given the resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Any ridiculously good looking residents are easily negated by corbin

just curious about the LSU programs. I hear a lot about LSU Shreveport being a good program. Can someone who has externed or interviewed at both LSU Shreveport and LSU NO tell me the difference in scope between the programs? Do they both do the same types of surgeries? what's the difference between the 2 programs. Thanks in advance.

Lol this OP is hilarious. And if course it's his only post on this forum ever.

What about best OMFS research??

NYU (Schmidt)
Houston (Young)
UCLA (Aghaloo)
Penn (Le)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile