BEST Online DIY postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmikepaul

Reaction score

I’m living in a rural area for the next ~12 months so online is my only option for now (will take on-campus classes later).

I’ve compiled a list of schools offering upper level online classes suitable for postbacc work.

Questions:
Are all these universities considered the same or do some look better to adcoms?
Does it look better to take all or most classes at one institution?

University of New England- Pathophysiology, Physiology, Biochemistry $360/ credit

Duane University- Immunology $384/ credit

SUNY Empire State College- Cell Biology, Anatomy and Phyiology, Genetics, Biology of Brain, Biochemistry, $353/ credit

Thomas Edison State University- Anatomy and Physiology

Oregon State University- Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Immunology, Bacteriology, Virology $309/ credit

Ohio State University- unknown, appears not possible

Brigham Young University- Anatomy with Virtual Lab (3 credits) $199/ credit

Colorado State University- Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics $476/ credit

University of California San Diego Biochemistry, Immunology, Genetics, Physiology, Pharmacology, Stem cell biology varies from $165 to 225/ credit*

University of California Los Angeles Neuroanatomy, Immunology, Endocrinology, Histology, Pharmacology varies from $203 to 276/ credit*

also check UC Berkeley

*Note about UC credits: Since they are on a quarter system, you must divide by 1.5 to get semester equivalents. Biochem is 4.5 hours (quarter) which is 3 hours (semester). Not sure how this looks to adcoms, but I think UCSD Biochem = UNE Biochem when ticking the boxes. The total price is ½ of the UNE class.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I would check with MSAR and look at the med schools you're interested in applying to and see which online classes they're accepting. The most selective schools typically won't accept online classes but there are schools that will on a case by case basis. Taking your classes at a UC is probably best in terms of price and looking good to adcoms.

Reactions: 2 users
While you're at it, look at the universities you may attend in person and see what the situation is on taking labs separately. For example, at Brooklyn College you can register for chem lab as a separate course, but at City College you have to take it with the lecture, even though they're both City University of New York schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also thinking about the UC schools. Anyone know how realistic it is to get an A in UC online classes?

What about taking classes from more than one school? Would it be better to take all classes at one place?

I went to UCB and took a couple online science courses and while the course work itself is easy, the finals, which are typically about 40% of your grade and had to be taken in person, were sometimes mildly challenging. Not extremely difficult or impossible to get an A though if you study hard. Also I'm not sure if classes through their online extension school are formatted similarly and require you to take finals in person.

I'm also thinking about the UC schools. Anyone know how realistic it is to get an A in UC online classes?

What about taking classes from more than one school? Would it be better to take all classes at one place?
I did most of my post-bacc courses through UC online (UCLA, UCD, UCSD). The ones I took were a breeze. I sent in 7 transcripts.

Reactions: 1 user
From my conversations with MD schools I'm interested in, most were fine with accepting online grades, just not for pre-reqs (the only ones that completely refused to accept online were Stanford and Kaiser). All the UC's were fine with it, although I got the vibe that they were not thrilled with the idea, so it may be perceived as less rigorous coursework. I would just have a good reason that your classes needed to be online - and location I think would be a good reason. But I agree, a UC online would probably look somewhat better than most - there's also Harvard extension, but I believe thats more expensive than most.

With the coronavirus quarantine, would schools be more open to online classes at the present?

With the coronavirus quarantine, would schools be more open to online classes at the present?

Yes, this has definitely changed since coronavirus. Schools have all gone online so many students will have online classes on their transcripts. Some colleges have even adopted a mandatory Pass/Fail grading system during this time.

One thing to note is that there is a difference between enrolling in an online program vs having in person class delivery switched to online due to the pandemic. Enrolling in an online program would be clearly noted on transcripts and a discrepancy in your physical location while the other would appear as a normal in person course. I would follow the guidance in the MSAR about online classes and not make assumptions that because many universities have switched to online instruction for a term that medical schools will accept all online prereqs and view them as being equal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

I would STRONGLY recommend contacting your target medical schools for guidance (especially your state programs) before enrolling in a dedicated online program.

I would also not expect that medical schools will remain amenable to online prerequisite coursework after the COVID-19 emergency ends. I suspect they will expect you to transition back to in-person classes at bricks-and-mortar, 4 year institutions, just as they’ve always preferred.

Reactions: 2 users

I’m living in a rural area for the next ~12 months so online is my only option for now (will take on-campus classes later).

I’ve compiled a list of schools offering upper level online classes suitable for postbacc work.

Questions:
Are all these universities considered the same or do some look better to adcoms?

University of New England- Pathophysiology, Physiology, Biochemistry $360/ credit

SUNY Empire State College- Cell Biology, Anatomy and Phyiology, Genetics, Biology of Brain, Biochemistry, $353/ credit

Oregon State University- Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Immunology, Bacteriology, Virology $309/ credit

Colorado State University- Histology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics $476/ credit

University of California San Diego Biochemistry, Immunology, Genetics, Physiology, Pharmacology, Stem cell biology varies from $165 to 225/ credit*

University of California Los Angeles Neuroanatomy, Immunology, Endocrinology, Histology, Pharmacology varies from $203 to 276/ credit*

also check UC Berkeley

*Note about UC credits: Since they are on a quarter system, you must divide by 1.5 to get semester equivalents. Biochem is 4.5 hours (quarter) which is 3 hours (semester). Not sure how this looks to adcoms, but I think UCSD Biochem = UNE Biochem when ticking the boxes. The total price is ½ of the UNE class.

You can contact individual faculty members who teach the course and ask if an arrangement could be made if you take an on-ground course--such as proctored testing, videoing the lectures, etc.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained--as the expression goes.

So, with the current situation would online classes still be good? For example, at an extension university?

I also see some classes are listed as "online delivery" and have set meeting times for lecture/zoom discussion while others are listed as "fully online" with no set meeting times. Is there a difference in how these are viewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Extension programs are fine as long as they are regionally accredited

In my college

online =pre-recorded classes that can be viewed anytime and you take the test at a specific time
Hybrid = classes are pre-recorded and taken anytime but labs are via campus app ( zoom / webex)
remote = live classes over campus application ( similar to zoom or webex ) due to 'rona

In the transcript it will come as the same
online = ON ( denoting online classes)
hybrid = HY ( denoting online)
remote = regular no difference to distinguish the same

@Drexel post bacc mentioned they have an online program but the transcript does not show it as online

Questions:

also check UC Berkeley

Good list . Good to know if any of them are grade crushers. Like columbia post bacc I see on SDN is difficult on grading .

HBX - Online Medical Learning - HMX | Harvard Medical School would be good to know if they are grade crushers or managable.

Last edited:
The other nice option at Oregon State is you can take the 2 course O chem sequence online and then you can take an in person lab in the summer. It's 2 week of all O chem all the time, but it's kind of fun.

I did most of my post-bacc courses through UC online (UCLA, UCD, UCSD). The ones I took were a breeze. I sent in 7 transcripts.
Could I ask what you took and with what teachers? Thx you!

Could I ask what classes you took at which campus and what teachers do you recommend? I'm looking to take some and I'm stuck on what to take. Thanks!

The other nice option at Oregon State is you can take the 2 course O chem sequence online and then you can take an in person lab in the summer. It's 2 week of all O chem all the time, but it's kind of fun.
O Chem Lab...fun....I uh...well I wish I'd gone where you went lol. Ours was like (sometimes literally, I think) watching paint dry.