Best path to become a military physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNA Helicase

Let's do this!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've noticed most of these forums have something bad to say about military medicine. Does this mean just to avoid it at all costs? Because I can honestly say that even if there weren't any HPSP I would probably still want to join. Is there a better way to get into it? Or are you guys basically just saying don't do it (because service to your country does not outweigh the cons)? This is not a loaded question, I'm just trying to gather information to make the best decision for me.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've noticed most of these forums have something bad to say about military medicine. Does this mean just to avoid it at all costs? Because I can honestly say that even if there weren't any HPSP I would probably still want to join. Is there a better way to get into it? Or are you guys basically just saying don't do it (because service to your country does not outweigh the cons)? This is not a loaded question, I'm just trying to gather information to make the best decision for me.

FAP is better than HPSP

Take out the loans, go to a civilian medical school, do your residency and then look into FAP. If you still want to do military medicine at that point, you can still join but you will already have your training in your specialty of choice and will be in a much better position to call some shots. Doing it this way leaves changing your mind a possibility. Even though you don't think you'll change your mind now, wait a few years and see what you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take out the loans, go to a civilian medical school, do your residency and then look into FAP. If you still want to do military medicine at that point, you can still join but you will already have your training in your specialty of choice and will be in a much better position to call some shots. Doing it this way leaves changing your mind a possibility. Even though you don't think you'll change your mind now, wait a few years and see what you think.

I couldn't agree more.

Go to medical school, use loans, be thrifty, and give yourself the fullest opportunity to do the residency of your choice at the appropriate time for doing a residency. Then decide whether the military is what you want and use FAP if you choose.

Avoid the GMO trap and the abuse of withholding training privilege the military has taken with that kind of tasking.

even though if you really want in you should do FAP. However, I think you shouldn't join milmed. Check out whats up with walter reed, etc.....such a shame