best path to military medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliveNkickin

somewhere in california
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

About 10 years ago I was poached out of my school of engineering to work on computers during the dot com boom here in silicon valley. I completed all my physics, mathematics and some chemistry with a good GPA.

I'm 28 now and consider myself a non-traditional student. I AM going to change careers now and pursue a MD credential come hell or high water. I don't have any wealthy family or any outside help having come from under-privilaged circumstances. I do come from a military family and am very familiar with the lifestyle. I'm physically and mentally fit, adept at taking risk, and fancy the idea of being a medic in a combat situation. Having done my homework, I believe military medicine is a very good option for me.

Question.. Should I speak to a recruiter before starting my pre-med undergraduate work? Am I too old? I'm planning a degree in Cell Biology. When is the right time to pursue the government's blessing (money and support)? I understand there is ROTC but not sure what all that entails.

Thanks in advance,
AliveNkickin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's very noble of you, but to apply for HPSP you're going to have to have an acceptance letter in-hand before they process your application.

Also, I am a second-year med student and I have yet to hear of an instance where a military doc functioned as a medic. A "medic" is a field member of the medical corps with a comparably basic level of medical training, while doctors are typically stationed in military hospitals or clinics behind the line/within the green zone. Again, I have no active duty experience so someone else will have to back me up or correct me on this. The closest you may get, as i understand it, is to apply Navy then ask to be assigned to a Marine unit.

You have two options. You can apply to USUHS or you can apply to civilian medical schools. If you apply to civilian medical schools, you can also simultaneously fill out an application for the service of interest for HPSP (you'll need to find a recruiter who does that..). However, they cannot and will not process your application until you have been accepted to a civilian medical school.

I will defer to actual physicians in the military for the details of their experience...as I have none and haven't even yet been commissioned.

I'd just like to reiterate what Maximus said about medics. As far as I know there are no positions in the military where you will have an MD serving in a combat situation. The medical support that goes into combat situations is enlisted guys like Navy Corpsmen. Though they sometimes get called "doc" by the marines they are not MD's. (they are like really highly qualified and trained EMTs) If actually being in combat situations is important to you you might want to look into that.

But yeh, you could talk to a recruiter but you won't be able to do much till you are actually going to medical school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Question.. Should I speak to a recruiter before starting my pre-med undergraduate work? Am I too old? I'm planning a degree in Cell Biology. When is the right time to pursue the government's blessing (money and support)? I understand there is ROTC but not sure what all that entails.

Thanks in advance,
AliveNkickin

There is no reason to talk to a recruiter now. Get your degree, get good grades, avoid ROTC (unless you want to be a line officer) and once you get in to school, take a hard look at military medicine. Good luck.

Thanks all for answering my questions, this makes alot more sence now.

Is there an age cap for the HPSP like there is for enlisted service?

Is there an age cap for the HPSP like there is for enlisted service?
Even if you started your degree from scratch, you'd still be well within age limits by time of application. Don't sweat it.

Even if you started your degree from scratch, you'd still be well within age limits by time of application. Don't sweat it.

im an accepted pharm student, but i kinda wanted to go into medicine afterwards..... kinda always wanted to go into the military, and i dont mind serving...

whats you alls take on this????

That's very noble of you, but to apply for HPSP you're going to have to have an acceptance letter in-hand before they process your application.

Also, I am a second-year med student and I have yet to hear of an instance where a military doc functioned as a medic. A "medic" is a field member of the medical corps with a comparably basic level of medical training, while doctors are typically stationed in military hospitals or clinics behind the line/within the green zone. Again, I have no active duty experience so someone else will have to back me up or correct me on this. The closest you may get, as i understand it, is to apply Navy then ask to be assigned to a Marine unit.

You have two options. You can apply to USUHS or you can apply to civilian medical schools. If you apply to civilian medical schools, you can also simultaneously fill out an application for the service of interest for HPSP (you'll need to find a recruiter who does that..). However, they cannot and will not process your application until you have been accepted to a civilian medical school.

I will defer to actual physicians in the military for the details of their experience...as I have none and haven't even yet been commissioned.

Not true, if you meet certain criteria (MCAT and GPA) you can be field selected, meaning that you can be basically awarded the scholarship before you have an acceptance in hand.

im an accepted pharm student, but i kinda wanted to go into medicine afterwards.....
If you really want to be a doctor, turn down your Pharm acceptance and apply to medical school. Going to Pharm school with the intention of then applying to medical school is insane, imho.

i'm applying this cycle for med schools and my boyfriend will be commissioning for the air force in december. he received a pilot slot and will be training for at least a year, which could start anytime after december. does anyone know about opportunities for internships/residencies on military bases or civilian military doctor opportunities? or would it be my best bet to attempt to find internships/residencies and jobs off base and in nearby hospitals until his active duty is served?