best pharm book for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elektra

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wich one is the best for board review among the follow:

1-Pharmacology Board Review by Carlos Ayala
2-Katzung and Trevor Pharmacology and Examination Board Review
3-Lippincots Special Millenium Update
4-Pharmacology Rapid Review Series by Thomas Pazdernik

I have 3 months for preparation and I already have the First Aid and Kaplan notes but pharm is my weakest subject and I need an extra source
Please help,
Thanks!!!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say memorize first aid pharm COLD. Supplement it with a board-specific review book that's easy to fly through such as Pharm Recall (that's my preference) and you should rock the pharm section.

Lippincotts actually just came out with a 3rd edition of their pharm review book. I bought it (i'm a sucker for color diagrams), and I really do think it's good. Probably too wordy for boards review, but i'm loving it as a supplement to pharm lectures.

Q

Oh, and I agree about the pharm recall book - great as a quick review the day before (or day of) a test. It points out and quizzes you on all of the key things about the drugs, and it does so in a very systematic and organized way. I really think that together with the Lippincott's, you'll have a very solid basis of pharm. For the boards, i'm planning on just memorizing FA, but i'll certainly glance over chapters in Lippincotts to pull things together.

Members don't see this ad :)
elektra said:
I already have the First Aid and Kaplan notes but pharm is my weakest subject and I need an extra source
Please help,
Thanks!!!
I think this is more then enough, pharm was my weakest subject as well, due to new curriculum that teaches pharm as an after thought. Ended up with * on the right on my pharm section on step 1.

So guys you say that FA is more than enough for Step 1..... :scared:
what about the rapid review (Pazdernick) series insted of lippincotts? I really dont like Lippincotts format, I dont know why but I get so confuse with that book....or what about the katzung and trevor board review It is too long?
bye :luck:

FA is definitely enough to do very well. One thing that's not often suggested though, is to go over all your class notes again. I thought my classnotes were pretty good, and I memorized them the first time around, so it only took 2 days to go through them all again. Refreshing what you've already memorized is about the highest yield thing you can do in my opinion (right up there with FA). But all you "need" is FA.

I wouldn't recommend studying a new source other than FA for pharm for step I.

HamOn

HamOnWholeWheat said:
FA is definitely enough to do very well. One thing that's not often suggested though, is to go over all your class notes again. I thought my classnotes were pretty good, and I memorized them the first time around, so it only took 2 days to go through them all again. Refreshing what you've already memorized is about the highest yield thing you can do in my opinion (right up there with FA). But all you "need" is FA.

I wouldn't recommend studying a new source other than FA for pharm for step I.

HamOn

I re-read my class notes too. They definitely helped more than any review book. First Aid was GOLDEN for pharmacology on Step 1, except the antineoplastics section is horrible in First Aid. I suggest you supplement with another text (just read the chapter out of either Goodman & Gillman or Katzung).

elektra said:
Wich one is the best for board review among the follow:

1-Pharmacology Board Review by Carlos Ayala
2-Katzung and Trevor Pharmacology and Examination Board Review
3-Lippincots Special Millenium Update
4-Pharmacology Rapid Review Series by Thomas Pazdernik

I have 3 months for preparation and I already have the First Aid and Kaplan notes but pharm is my weakest subject and I need an extra source
Please help,
Thanks!!!

second one, i.e. katzung is good as far as i know
. :laugh:

:thumbup: Yes Dr siba I have to say that Katzung and Trevor is a excellent book I will recomend it to anyone that like me Pharm is the weakest subject....
It looks thick but the book is very good written and the chapters are small with the information that you need for Step 1 and maybe a little more but it worth it!!!